Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger 5.1 Blu-ray Audio (Nov.18.2016 - only via Super Deluxe)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to hear the vocals are primarily up front but it's the "not always" that worries me. I have no issues with harmonies in the rears, but sometimes when Cornell has his main vocal line doubled Kasper mixes it through the rears and it destroys the surround effect. I need to try and listen to a couple tracks of the CD today and ask you how the vocals are mixed in 5.1 to see.

Still, for the first review on the surround I've read...it does sound mostly positive and that's a good thing. I think Kasper did a good job with much of the instrumentation on the TOTD mix so if he'd just get the vocals right he could be well on his way to being a 5.1 mixer we actually get excited about.

Well,as I think Chris Cornell is one of rock's greatest singers,I ordered this set and the TOTD set too.:smokin Set me back
£ 240! But the postage was free:) A nice Christmas present too myself:music I have the Superunknown set and I like it.Think I will play it tonight.

So a couple days ago I get an unknown package in the mail. Opened it up and inside was a 7 inch single by Soundgarden with a large hole adapter affixed to the back. I completely forgot about this. Guess I was one of the first 1000 to purchase the box set. Just wondering if anyone else received theirs. Keep an eye out for it.

So a couple days ago I get an unknown package in the mail. Opened it up and inside was a 7 inch single by Soundgarden with a large hole adapter affixed to the back. I completely forgot about this. Guess I was one of the first 1000 to purchase the box set. Just wondering if anyone else received theirs. Keep an eye out for it.
I received the same today, Jesus Christ Pose, Side 1 and Stray Cat Blues, Side 2. I don't own a record player, so I wont open.

Finally got someone who doesn't care about the Blu-ray from their Super Deluxe set and is selling it to me for US$30. Sweet! So in a few weeks I'll get to listen to this 5.1 mix, some 6+ months after it came out. Can't believe I'm waiting so long to listen to a 5.1 mix of one of my favorite bands but the Stupor Deluxe set was just so ridiculously priced I've held off.

US$30, much more up my alley.

Finally got someone who doesn't care about the Blu-ray from their Super Deluxe set and is selling it to me for US$30. Sweet! So in a few weeks I'll get to listen to this 5.1 mix, some 6+ months after it came out. Can't believe I'm waiting so long to listen to a 5.1 mix of one of my favorite bands but the Stupor Deluxe set was just so ridiculously priced I've held off.

US$30, much more up my alley.

That's awesome. While it's not perfect, it sure does ROCK. I love it. Needs to be played loud to fully appreciate IMO.

Okay I obviously can't judge based on one track, but my problem with Kasper's 5.1 mixes has always been the vocals and specifically with Temple it was mixing a doubled main vocal line through a different channel - harmonies? Sure!! Main vocal doubled? Sounds RIDICULOUS (see Times of Trouble from Temple of the Dog).

So I just had a quick preview of this and listened to Searching With My Good Eye Closed which was the song in '91 or '92 that first made me realize Soundgarden are AMAZING...and it has a doubled vocal line...and both are mixed directly in the front soundstage primarily to the center channel!!!!

Well done Adam Kasper! I'm very happy he's likely read some of the constructive criticisms and adjusted accordingly, this tracks sounds really good and I now look forward to the rest of the disc, one of my fave albums on the 90s (I think I have it in my top 10).

Listening now to this bad ass Badmotorfinger Blu Ray 5.1, what no poll, I vote 10. Extra bonus is video each song. I dare you to come to my house and listen at 75db and not tell me it's superfuckingreat.

I just purchased the Badmotorfinger boxed set from Ebay last week in mint condition (used) for only $100.00. Got it this past Wednesday. I loved the album long before this set was ever released. The album is easily one of their best and is very heavy, though perhaps not as "commercial friendly" or versatile as their subsequent and last 3 albums. This set contains the original version on CD; remastered version on CD; 2 live concert CD's; 2 live concert DVD's; and the Blu-Ray 5.1 hi-res surround version in 24/96. The Blu-Ray kicks some serious ass.

I already own the 5.1 surround versions of Superunknown and Temple of a Dog, which were also mixed by Adam Kasper. This one is probably his best mix. He's not Steven Wilson, so don't expect anything like that. However, the dynamics, resolution, separation, and mix are tremendous. I would rate it a solid 9. Vocals are in the center channel, with the exception of a couple of harmonies. Guitars are wicked and clear as day. The drums and bass are brutal and thump with plenty of subwoofer action. There is a lot of discrete music coming from the surround speakers. The blu-ray contains three B-sides as well in high-resolution surround, including the fantastic Birth Ritual, which was originally released for the movie, Singles. It also has the three videos released from the album in hi-res surround. Each song from the album also has a video playing with it.

The 5.1 mix is certainly where it's at and makes this set a must-own for Soundgarden fans. I am very happy with the boxed set - it was well worth the money. With Chris Cornell's recent demise, who knows ultimately what it may be worth.

Friend of mine bought the set for $125 on eBay, slightly used. He ripped everything and then sold me the set for $100. It's well worth $100. Great packaging, beautiful book, and the discs are really great. Didn't see an official thread for the release under Hi-Rez spotlights, so I'll reserve my review for that if it ever shows up...

Back