Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger 5.1 Blu-ray Audio (Nov.18.2016 - only via Super Deluxe)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dobyblue

800 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Nov.18.2016 - Soundgarden will release a massive box set for the 25th anniversary of Badmotorfinger including a Blu-ray Audio disc with a new 5.1 mix of the album and what will presumably be newly mastered videos of the three singles with the new audio options.

Official press release:

BADMOTORFINGER 25TH ANNIVERSARY
LIMITED EDITION SUPER DELUXE BOXSET
US$149.99

Original Album Newly Remastered
• 109 Tracks – 79 Unreleased Tracks, Videos & Mixes
• Complete Paramount Theatre Concert from March 6, 1992 on 2CDs & DVD – 19 Songs – 108+ Minutes
• Second DVD with MOTORVISION home video and 11 Unreleased Additional Performance Videos from 1992
• 15 Studio Outtakes Newly Mixed from the Multi-track Reels
• Original Album Newly Mixed in 96kHz 24-bit 5.1 Surround Sound on Blu-ray Audio Disc

Highly Collectable Revolving BADMOTORFINGER Icon Box (batteries included) with
• 52 Page Booklet featuring New Art and Photos
• Commemorative Testimonials from Fellow Musicians and Peers
• 12-inch 3D Lenticular Litho of BADMOTORFINGER Icon with silver foil
• 4 Band 8-inch x 10-inch Photo Prints
• 5-inch BADMOTORFINGER Icon Silver Foil Sticker
• 4-inch Triangular Spark Plug Silver Foil Sticker
• Newly Designed 25th Anniversary BADMOTORFINGER Icon Iron-On Patch

** • First 1,000 Pre-orders receive a limited edition bonus 7-inch of “Jesus Christ Pose” (b/w “Stray Cat Blues”) and a custom BADMOTORFINGER Icon 7-inch large hole adapter

Track listing:

CD 1- Original Album Remastered
1. Rusty Cage
2. Outshined
3. Slaves & Bulldozers
4. Jesus Christ Pose
5. Face Pollution
6. Somewhere
7. Searching With My Good Eye Closed
8. Room A Thousand Years Wide
9. Mind Riot
10. Drawing Flies
11. Holy Water
12. New Damage

CD 2- Studio Outtakes
*Previously Unreleased
1. Rusty Cage (Studio Outtake)*
2. Outshined (Studio Outtake)*
3. Slaves & Bulldozers (Studio Outtake)*
4. Jesus Christ Pose (Studio Outtake)*
5. Face Pollution (Studio Outtake) *
6. Somewhere (Studio Outtake)*
7. Searching With My Good Eye Closed (Studio Outtake)*
8. Room A Thousand Years Wide (Studio Outtake)*
9. Drawing Flies (Studio Outtake)*
10. Holy Water (Studio Outtake)*
11. Cold Bitch (Studio Outtake)*
12. She’s A Politician (Studio Outtake)*
13. Black Rain (Studio Outtake)*
14. Birth Ritual (Studio Outtake)*
15. Blind Dogs (Studio Outtake)*
16. New Damage (with Brian May)

CD 3- Live At The Paramount (Part 1)
Previously Unreleased
1. Searching With My Good Eye Closed
2. Hands All Over
3. Drawing Flies
4. Room A Thousand Years Wide
5. Gun
6. Flower
7. Little Joe
8. Big Dumb Sex
9. Face Pollution
10. Incessant Mace
11. Rusty Cage

CD 4- Live At The Paramount (Part 2)
Previously Unreleased
1. Outshined
2. Mind Riot
3. Beyond The Wheel
4. Into The Void (Sealth)
5. Jesus Christ Pose
6. Hunted Down
7. Somewhere
8. Slaves & Bulldozers

Disc 5- Live At The Paramount DVD
Previously Unreleased
2. Hands All Over
3. Drawing Flies
4. Room A Thousand Years Wide
5. Gun
6. Flower
7. Little Joe
8. Big Dumb Sex
9. Face Pollution
10. Incessant Mace
11. Rusty Cage
12. Outshined
13. Mind Riot
14. Beyond The Wheel
15. Into The Void (Sealth)
16. Jesus Christ Pose
17. Hunted Down
18. Somewhere
19. Slaves & Bulldozers

Disc 6- Motorvision + More DVD
2. Rusty Cage
3. Outshined
4. Little Joe
5. Mind Riot
6. Room A Thousand Years Wide
7. Jesus Christ Pose
8. Slaves & Bulldozers

Bonus Videos
*Previously Unreleased:
1. Outshined (Live in Dallas 4.29.92)*
2. Jesus Christ Pose (Live in Dallas 4.29.92)*
3. Rusty Cage (Live at Roseland Ballroom 5.09.92)*
4. Jesus Christ Pose (Live at Pinkpop Festival 7.08.92)*
5. Slaves & Bulldozers (Live at Pinkpop Festival 7.08.92)*
6. Slaves & Bulldozers (Live in Seattle 7.12.92)*
7. Face Pollution (Live in Seattle 7.12.92)*
8. Searching With My Good Eye Closed (Live in Seattle 7.22.92)*
9. Drawing Flies (Live in Miami 8.22.92)*
10. Cop Killer (Live in Miami 8.22.92)*
11. Room A Thousand Years Wide (Live in Miami 8.22.92)*
12. Jesus Christ Pose (Music Video)
13. Outshined (Music Video)
14. Rusty Cage (Music Video)

Disc 7- Blu-Ray Audio 5.1 Surround Sound & Remastered Stereo
*Previously Released
1. Rusty Cage*
2. Outshined*
3. Slaves & Bulldozers*
4. Jesus Christ Pose*
5. Face Pollution*
6. Somewhere*
7. Searching With My Good Eye Closed*
8. Room A Thousand Years Wide*
9. Mind Riot*
10. Drawing Flies*
11. Holy Water*
12. New Damage*
B-Sides
13. Cold Bitch*
14. She’s A Politician*
15. Birth Ritual*

Bonus Videos
16. Jesus Christ Pose (Music Video)
17. Outshined (Music Video)
18. Rusty Cage (Music Video)

I can only presume this will be another Adam Kasper 5.1 mix, so with the ongoing peculiar mixing choices being made for vocals I am hesitant to be excited here. For SG fans who don't care about surround or loudness wars there is a crapload of stuff here.

Pre-order link - http://soundgarden.shop.livenation.com/product.aspx?pc=FXCDSOG70179

The news of this release is fascinating for two reasons:

1) I'm kinda surprised they went with this album next as a deluxe edition release instead of "Down on the Upside", but both of them are celebrating an anniversary this year, so maybe they just flipped a coin? ;)
2) Someone either within the label who supervises these releases or someone within Soundgarden must really love surround sound, cause we now have this album, "Superunknown" and "Temple of the Dog" all in surround sound. Yet once again, I cannot bring myself to purchase this set. My unfamiliarity with the music, the expense of the box set, and the likelihood that Adam Kasper's name is attached to the project makes me back away from it.
(Yeah I have heard that his "Temple of the Dog" surround mix is much better than "Superunknown" but I am still not that confident.)

The news of this release is fascinating for two reasons:

1) I'm kinda surprised they went with this album next as a deluxe edition release instead of "Down on the Upside", but both of them are celebrating an anniversary this year, so maybe they just flipped a coin? ;)
2) Someone either within the label who supervises these releases or someone within Soundgarden must really love surround sound, cause we now have this album, "Superunknown" and "Temple of the Dog" all in surround sound. Yet once again, I cannot bring myself to purchase this set. My unfamiliarity with the music, the expense of the box set, and the likelihood that Adam Kasper's name is attached to the project makes me back away from it.
(Yeah I have heard that his "Temple of the Dog" surround mix is much better than "Superunknown" but I am still not that confident.)

I will be the local guinea pig as I ordered TOTD. I will give a honest assessment of the mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will be the local guinea pig as I ordered TOTD. I will give a honest assessment of the mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I leapt as well....I am not missing out on this set. To me...Badmotorfinger was their strongest album. The extras make this set a must buy purchase with or without the multifun. Rusty Cage will be outrageous...

Last edited:
This set is for me! I love that album and I think it's the band's best.

Bloody hell.. another £100+ set.. I just can't do this anymore :(

Gotta say, mega fans of these bands must have deep pockets or they too will be missing out as this 5.1 fan is..

..I noticed last night the UMe store had sold out of all their inventory of the Super Deluxe set of Temple Of The Dog at the $99.99 w/free shipping to U.S. customers that came with the exclusive poster/stickers or whatever it was.. I HATE that there is no other option to get these in 5.1.. Universal could do it as a download and charge like £20 or something and it'd still do well I reckon.. at £100 for one 5.1 music disc, personally = forget it.

Ps. Not threadcrapping, I'm very happy for fans of the band etc..
but for 5.1 fans generally its a toughie really

I would pay £100 for a box set of 5 or more surround albums for sure. One with extras I care not for, nope, but I hope those who do are pleased with the goods.

Unfortunate that I will probably never hear these 5.1 discs. I would be out pert near $1,000 if I sprang for the Fleetwood Mac, Soundgarden and TOTD box sets.

It's hard to understand how the label or bands couldn't make more money by offering a larger variety of product that included the 5.1 disc.

Thank you Dobyblue. Just ordered. It's funny that as soon as we where asked if we would spend more at Audio Fidelity we are getting bombarded with expensive 5.1 box sets. For awhile I was doing OK as I don't really like the soft rock, but now the music is getting harder and I am spending more. 3 months of a giant Christmas present.

I had asked someone on Amazon who claims to have the set to please look up the credit for the surround mixing. They responded "Adam Jasper".

Presumably they meant Adam Kasper, which renews my committment to not consider purchasing this until it is at least 66% off MSRP, which means I may have a LONG way to go. Hopefully someone who doesn't give a toss about Blu-ray may sell their disc on eBay or something and then I can check it out. It's too much money for me to risk another very disappointing Adam Kasper surround mix.

I should probably take another listen to Badmotorfinger to see just how many doubled vocal lines I can spot, because if he mixes those like "Times of Trouble" from Temple of the Dog then every song with a doubled main vocal will be unlistenable.

Mastering credit is Gavin Lurssen. It doesn't look quite as "louderized" as the Superunknown remaster by Stephen Marcussen but considering that went from DR10 > DR6 and Badmotorfinger has gone from DR13 > DR8, the reduction in dynamics looks to be about the same.

I had asked someone on Amazon who claims to have the set to please look up the credit for the surround mixing. They responded "Adam Jasper".

Presumably they meant Adam Kasper, which renews my committment to not consider purchasing this until it is at least 66% off MSRP, which means I may have a LONG way to go. Hopefully someone who doesn't give a toss about Blu-ray may sell their disc on eBay or something and then I can check it out. It's too much money for me to risk another very disappointing Adam Kasper surround mix.

I should probably take another listen to Badmotorfinger to see just how many doubled vocal lines I can spot, because if he mixes those like "Times of Trouble" from Temple of the Dog then every song with a doubled main vocal will be unlistenable.

Mastering credit is Gavin Lurssen. It doesn't look quite as "louderized" as the Superunknown remaster by Stephen Marcussen but considering that went from DR10 > DR6 and Badmotorfinger has gone from DR13 > DR8, the reduction in dynamics looks to be about the same.

saves me a few quid.. (quite a few quid) but it would almost be preferable in a slightly bizarre and almost masochistic way to me if this were an excellent mix I frustratingly couldn't afford rather than a mediocre one I'm relieved I can't afford..! :mad:@:

it does make you wonder what surround stuff this Kasper chap has used as some other 5.1 music as a point of reference (has he heard any of Steven Wilson's surround work for example?) or if he's just going with his own gut instinct to how he feels this stuff should pan out in surround..?

kinda reminds me of the good old/bad old days of the SACD Vs DVD-A format wars era, where there were people remixing stuff into 5.1 that seemingly lacked experience in doing so and so either mixed very conservatively or mucked it up completely.. back when I was picking up all 5.1 I could lay me mitts on (before I got sucked down a big old Quad vinyl rabbit hole! :yikes ) for every "Winelight" there were like 10 "Invincible Summer"'s.. now we've replaced Scheiner with Wilson so you're guaranteed some gems from him but still got other folk throwing their hat into the surround arena who could take a leaf out of SW's mixing book imho!

anyway.. it would be interesting to find out how good (or potentially bad) this is, if anybody into surround takes the plunge.. I'm a one of those rather not die wondering types :eek:

If for some reason you love everything about it except for the Blu-ray...haha...perhaps we can come to a small financial transaction to relieve you of your burden? :)

Yeah, right! For THAT kind of $$$$$ they could've put the 4 RBCD content in LOSSLESS codecs on the DVDs (in 96/24 stereo) and the two concert videos remastered from the original camera negatives/source with remixed 5.1 sound on another BD~V and call it a day. 4 RBCD/2 DVDs and 1 BD~A.......jeez!

At any rate, would love to hear Markie's review of the BD~A in 5.1 and it would be nice (but fat chance) it will be released it as a stand alone BD~A.

Well, very expensive and they give you a lot. Including battery operated, push button saw blade spinning. Large photos, hologram, 8 discs, lyrics, major rock icons giving testimonials to the game changer that this 1992 release was.
All discs are great and rewarding.
The Blu Ray in 5.1 which I am sure is what you want to know. I love it, from the opening of Rusty Cage with two discrete guitars starting in rears to ,bam, an explosion of giant sound, left me mesmerized. Every track has its own video that each one is quite sureal. The mix on all tracks is this huge wall of sound, with vocals primarily front, but not always, drums and cymbals resonate really good, bass just comes down as a powerhouse but not overpowering. It seems to me that the power of the music is the rears but the finesse comes from the front and then all bleeds together, discretely. I listened at 67db, pushing 450 watts in the front right/left and 300 watts in the two rears and center. I used about 2/3 of the wattage allowed. No problems here. Sub was fine as it was. I don't own the surround of Superunkown as I heard it was crummy, this is not and I think a step up from Temple Of The Dog. Is it worth the money? When listening to the 5.1, then yes, it is, other than that I try not to think about it.

Back