HiRez Poll Yes - TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS [DVD-Audio/Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Yes - TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2016 surround sound mix of the classic 1973 album "Tales From Topographic Oceans" by the band Yes.
Pre-release discussion can be found here: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...YES-Tales-From-Topographic-Oceans-5-1-Reality
As always, please use this thread for comments after you have heard the disc, and not for side discussions not specific to this title.

Both editions (available in 2CD/2DVDA-V and 3CD/Blu-Ray configurations) can be purchased from either Burning Shed (the official Panegyric store) or Headphone Dust (the official Steven Wilson store)
[The 2016 stereo & surround remixes are the same on both formats.]

(Scans of both editions will follow, but in the meantime, here are some pictures from the booklet, courtesy of the Yes instagram page.)

(n) :) (y)

Tales.jpg
Unknown-3.jpg
Unknown-3.jpeg

One of my favourite albums ever. The best I've ever heard it in terms of fidelity, and I'm hearing things on this version that I've not heard before. The drums and bass on this album have never sounded anywhere near this good to me. The surround mix is nothing short of incredible, highly immersive, appropriate discrete instruments in every speaker, great use of the rear speakers for the harmony vocals (as with all the Steven Wilson Yes mixes). Loads of content on the bluray too, and a reasonable price for what you get.

What more can I say, short and to the point, and a definite 10. Stunning (y):):brew

Well apparently due to a system failure (in my brain) I just realized that the 3 CD/Blu-ray version of Tales I (thought I) had preordered and received on Friday is actually the 2 CD/2 DVD-Audio version?!? I guess I will now be forced to review both versions (seeing as how I just ordered the Blu-ray, I mean I can't have all the other Yes Blu-rays sitting on the shelf without their Blu-Tales brethren now can I? I guess you could say I'm cuckoo for multi-channel, YES I am!) If only all my problems were this easy!

Have not made it to the DVD-A's yet but have given a listen to the CD's thru headphones and can say they sound quite good to me, have to wait for the end of next week when I am off work to crank up the DVD-A's in all their surroundable glory! Should have the Blu-ray by then too, so I guess I will have a lot of Tales to be told!

Listening to the album now, by cricky Steven has nailed this the full surround experience.
I have surprised myself by liking this album possibly more than the other releases. Before these surround series all I had of yes was a single compilation, and would have carried on ignoring them. So thanks to the team for opening my eyes and my poor wallet

I should add for the record I have the blu ray

I'll start out by saying that I have always liked this album very much. Other than the usual complaint of it being a bit muddy of a mix I still always liked the songs.

Now on to this 5.1 mix... HOLY FUCKING SHEEP SHIT!!! This thing is a 10!! Absolutely amazing in every way. The mix is incredibly crisp and has pretty much brought a new life to this record and you can hear LOTS of stuff you never heard before in the stereo mix. The separation is fantastic. The Revealing Science Of God and Ritual have always been the 2 tracks I've liked the most.

I haven't had time to check out the other BluRay extras yet because so far I have listened to the 5.1 3 times!!!

I can't believe that after all this hype and waiting for this that there aren't more reviews by now. C'mon people! Get it going.

I can't believe that after all this hype and waiting for this that there aren't more reviews by now. C'mon people! Get it going.

This was just released on Friday, and not everyone is fortunate enough to have it yet...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@jaypfunk: I share and appreciate your optimism. Rock On Dude!:smokin

I had an audio screw up and I was actually listening to the thing for days with Dolby Pro Logic II set on my receiver by accident so I'm glad I didn't post an earlier review. I would have made more of a fool of myself(than usual). ;)

Now I have correct audio settings and I've played it many times, I can say it is a perfect ten. No rhetoric or emotion, just cold hard calculation based on abject reality:

This one is an absolute surround must-have and is a 10.0.

By the way, some peeps here did get it a bit early since Headphone Dust seems to ship early. I'm not sure the Amazon shipments have
really started to arrive yet. We should see plenty more reviews soon.:music

@rt: Thanks for all your help in the Tales thread and congrats on becoming a mod! :banana:

@Adam: Yes, you are still very handsome and now a very powerful QQ pre-reviewer but that still does not give you license to spam in these poll threads!:cool:

:banana:

I only pre-ordered a week ahead of time from Amazon and got mine on Friday (day of release) Got lucky I guess?

Exemplary in every way. A career high from Wilson, and a fantastic all-round effort from Panegyric.

Another masterclass in how to properly construct a definitive edition of an album.

Mine is on a plane from Amazon uk to Australia.
I pre-ordered mine when it was originally first put up

10 all the way! Without a moment of hesitation. I've been luxuriating in the wonderful 5.1 mixes since the Blu-Ray arrived last Friday. Just beautiful... I've always adored this album - and fell in love with it all when I first bought TFTO as an LP set on its release way back in late 1973. And then through various CD versions over the years! Always thinking this is brilliant music, but also sensing that there was something just a little underpowered about it all - a sort of murkiness that made it sound just a little veiled. Just slightly... Not as sharp or crystal clear as I felt CTTE to be.

And now - wow. WOW! It is hard not to sound clichéd when describing how sensational I've found the 5.1 immersion to be. All the musical and life memories, of course - but the presence, the detail, the flow and wash of the sound - just glorious. The opening chorale, just amazing as it opens up and gathers power all around the listener, followed by the stunning arrival of drums and bass - resplendent in all their thwack, punch and emphasis. Real bottom end - at last. All sorts of instrumental and vocal details now clearer than ever coming from the 4 corners of the room - but still completely TFTO.

Mr Wilson has entirely succeeded in his mission of staying true to the original while just giving us that lovely fresh perspective on the whole thing. The voices sound sublime throughout, the balance between the vocals spot on, while we hear each person individually too. A beguiling guitar here, a wild moog there, the rhythmic swirl (oh enjoy the beginning of The Ancient!) behind the solos and singers. And the delicacy and power coming together on Ritual. With that extraordinary percussion break hitting harder than ever. The listener pummeled in the center of the overwhelming crashes.

I just can't stop listening. Best 5.1 ever? Oh I don't know - but this just leapt to the top of my (increasingly large!) pile. Superlatives don't really do it justice. What a period it has been for Yes and 5.1 fans - and now this crowning glory. Ok - back to listening now.

Last edited:
The Revealing Science of Steven Wilson IS evident here. The surround mix is a triumph and an automatic 10. I have both the DVDA and Bluray. I had the DVDA a week longer than the Bluray. The vocals and Mellotron are crystal clear. Everything is glorious overall. At first I thought sounds such as the hihat and cymbals seemed a bit cloudy here or there, this would be while listening to the DVDA. I thought perhaps the master tapes were worn or whatever. Now while listening to the Bluray that seems to have disappeared. Maybe I warmed up to this mix. Repeated listenings reveal hidden instruments and vocals as well as Wilsons surround treatments. My cat totally freaks out during the minimoog solo in Revealing.

Dance of the Dawn has the extended intro, but Wisons mix of Dance of the Dawn also extends the beginning of that same minimoog solo mentioned before by a few bars as well. Could this be the original edit? The Rhino version is not extended (except for the intro).This extended solo for me is uncomfortable. I sampled the live Ritual track. Not a big fan. I have at least 4 bootlegs from this tour that I enjoy more. Personally the 5.1 surround mix is generally the only way I will listen to this. Great Job.

Last edited:
10 all the way! Without a moment of hesitation. I've been luxuriating in the wonderful 5.1 mixes since the Blu-Ray arrived last Friday. Just beautiful... I've always adored this album - and fell in love with it all when I first bought TFTO as an LP set on its release way back in late 1973. And then through various CD versions over the years! Always thinking this is brilliant music, but also sensing that there was something just a little underpowered about it all - a sort of murkiness that made it sound just a little veiled. Just slightly... Not as sharp or crystal clear as I felt CTTE to be. And now - wow. WOW! It is hard not to sound clichéd when describing how sensational I've found the 5.1 immersion to be. All the musical and life memories, of course - but the presence, the detail, the flow and wash of the sound - just glorious. The opening chorale, just amazing as it opens up and gathers power all around the listener, followed by the stunning arrival of drums and bass - resplendent in all their thwack, punch and emphasis. Real bottom end - at last. All sorts of instrumental and vocal details now clearer than ever coming from the 4 corners of the room - but still completely TFTO. Mr Wilson has entirely succeeded in his mission of staying true to the original while just giving us that lovely fresh perspective on the whole thing. The voices sound sublime throughout, the balance between the vocals spot on, while we hear each person individually too. A beguiling guitar here, a wild moog there, the rhythmic swirl (oh enjoy the beginning of The Ancient!) behind the solos and singers. And the delicacy and power coming together on Ritual. With that extraordinary percussion break hitting harder than ever. The listener pummeled in the center of the overwhelming crashes. I just can't stop listening. Best 5.1 ever? Oh I don't know - but this just leapt to the top of my (increasingly large!) pile. Superlatives don't really do it justice. What a period it has been for Yes and 5.1 fans - and now this crowning glory. Ok - back to listening now.

Just a magnificent piece of writing! So descriptive and so accurate! Many things I was planning to express (so forgive me if you hear echoes in my review) and said so well. Your passion is evident (and well placed) and the buzz from the music comes through in your words. What an experience, eh? Thanks for your effort.

Sidenote: Your prose is so fine, it's a shame to harm it's legibility by using flow of consciousness formatting (i.e. one long paragraph). The line break is your reader's friend... (Just a small criticism on some wonderful writing)

The short version (DVD-A 5.1 mix):

In a word: Sublime.

A 10 all the way. The content, the mix, the fidelity: all of the highest quality. Steven Wilson's meisterwerk of Yes' meisterwerk. This 5.1 mix has for me pushed Tales past CttE as my favorite album. The experience I had upon my initial audition of this amazing mix was truly the most incredible audio experience I've ever had w/ recorded music (live music is a whole other ballgame). I'm still totally buzzed from it, 2 1/2 hours later. My highest recommendation!

This is what I've waited for.
I played it every day since I got it and other discs have to wait right now.
The mix is not compressed, fresh and the use of the rears is nearly perfect.
The Ancient was a song I never liked, although the acoustic guitar part with
wonderful vocals at the end is superb.
In surround mode now I even like the whole track!
The other songs are big cinema!
Steven Wilson....thank you very very much! You did it! :)

10!

The Long version:

While this was only the 4th Yes album I ever bought, it was the Yes album that took the longest to click with me; but once it clicked, it connected hard. I'm very familiar w/ it through many listens on many different formats. Like most all Yes (but this album even more-so), the music is very lush, layered, inter-weaving, dynamic and complex- all qualities that lend themselves to a great surround mix. And boy has Mr. Wilson delivered, as he always does- but even more-so. As much as I love his Yes re-mixes, I'd rate GG's Power and Glory and Tull's Aqualung and his best to date that I have. This exceeds those imo. It is also the most that he has ever departed from the original work- in many ways (see below). I believe he utilized, to fantastic success- a great amount of artistic freedom on this project. I can feel his passion in the music, right along w/ the band (and the band includes Eddie Offord, who is an invaluable and intrinsic part of this music).

While there are many striking aspects of this audaciously ambitious work, one thing that has always stood out to me about it is TONE. The variety of tones on every instrument on display in this album is staggering. It's like Yes wanted to expand their musical palette so they could have as many hues available as possible to paint the vast auditory landscapes they wished to create. The keyboards obviously have almost infinite tones, but also on this album, Wakey's presets are all spot-on (unlike some later years). It's amazing how great he sounds on an album he despises and dislikes playing. Howe's uses different guitars and effects to achieve an awesome array of sounds and textures. Squire uses effects to vary his tones throughout and Alan bangs away on a vast variety of toms, cymbals, gongs, all manner of percussion. And then there's the many shades possible with those 3 harmonizing voices. Yes was all about pushing the envelope- and one of the things they pushed here was how unique and how many different tones they could convey.

And it those tones where Maestro Wilson weaves his magic. He has a way of taking most of these many different tones and make them really sing: it's like he takes what's there and makes it... even more-so. A really fluid guitar line, of which Howe weaves many, becomes even more liquid. An edgy guitar seems to expand it's bite. A vibrating cymbal seems to shimmer more. A floating keyboard chord seems to hover and even vibrate in a large space. A vocal becomes 4 dimensional- Jon's solo part is present in the front and the rear at the same time; it's not pulled out into the room, it's doubled in a different space (one of the liberties he took w/ the original material beyond what he usually does- but it works to great effect).

But here's another way he deviates from the original much more than usual (if hardly at all in most cases). Some of those tones, while they sound similar- and better- also sound significantly different. I don't know if they're a different edit or he uses some EQ, but some of those tones are changed quite a lot. The most I noticed them was in The Remembering. There's one part somewhere around the 13:00 mark where there's a crescendo that is the same in nature but I swear the texture of the guitar is completely different. It makes for a more dynamic build-up, but it jarred me with it's difference (I think it works great- just wasn't expecting it).

There's another spot where's Squire's bass has the exact same rhythm and pitch, but again the tone is vastly altered. The beginning of the Ancient (which brought a huge shirt-eating grin to this stoic old face) echoes it's cymbals all around you to great effect, but in it's expansiveness changes the basic character of that element. It's already been noted by others that he uses a completely different edit of Squire's bass lines in Ritual and of Wakeman's solo in Revealing.

Steven has made changes in tone in this 5.1 mix that seem to go against his usual philosophy of staying as true to the original as possible. He's taken liberties with some fundamental sounds, but the results don't change the basic character of the music as a whole- they just make those parts stand out even more. Part of that effect is the result of being able to separate the elements, as in all good surround mixes; part of that effect is from the added clarity he always achieves in his re-mixes; but a lot of that effect is that his choices in altering these tones seems to give them more immediacy and presence. Bravissimo Maestro!

Another area where SW exceeds his usual practice is in the amount of motion inherent within the soundfield. He generally eschews much panning between speakers in favor of just keeping a full, robust, well-filled sphere of sound. But in this mix, there's an amazing amount of motion. I'm not referring to pans between channels, though there is a slight amount of that, usually with Rick's keys and Alan's percussion. If that kind of motion is macro-motion, what I'm talking about is micro-motion: motion within a limited part of the soundfield. For example, there are some of Steve's flowing lines that seem to expand and contract as the motion around a speaker mimics the flowing of the line. There are keyboards that seem to not just hover over an area, but swirl intensely as they hover. The shimmer of cymbals I referred to earlier seem to come from some micro-motion. They don't just echo, they expand. Whatever instrument, any sustain or decay seemed to last longer and have more weight; every musical element of this mix seems to be somehow reinforced.

This mix is filled with micro-motion which again gives more presence to the elements. Everything is expanded and taken to it's limits. I believe SW has ignored his usual philosophy for re-mixing and instead adopted Yes' philosophy from this album: push the boundaries; exaggerate the extremes to the farthest possible point before reaching over-saturation. It's a gem in it's execution and almost mystical in its synergy. This was the album Yes always wanted to make; this is the mix Mr. Wilson always wanted to create. And the result is the absolute pinnacle of recorded music, imo.

I could go on about the many examples of sublime beauty present in this album that have been strengthened by SW's magic, such as the haunting variety as we get over over-hanging trees to the heart-rendering variety that is Steve's guitar that brings such sweet relief following the climax of that thunderous, brilliant cacophany that is the climax of the whole journey. But I've already gone on too long- which is apropos of this album, but in my case the criticism would be warranted, whereas with the album it's not.

Suffice it to say, I was thrilled, chilled and completely fulfilled by this experience. I'm not afraid to say that I teared up as the last notes died down.

I truly believe that SW feels more proud of this re-mix than any he's ever done- as well he should. I also feel sure that the pain we felt when this was temporarily shelved was nothing compared to what he endured; I bet it drove him crazy having this creation but being powerless to get it to those who could appreciate it's glories. This was always one of the albums he most wanted to work his surround magic on. He worked passionately over a three year period and his efforts paid off in spades. I don't know if he asked for and received, or he just took great artistic license with this, but the freedom he's shown in making bold choices hearkens back to the 70's music industry (more parallels) and the results are mind-blowing.

Thank you Mr. Wilson. You've taken a gem and not only made it shine unimaginably brighter, but also revealed all of of it's facets in brilliant relief. Bravissimo indeed.

Back