HiRez Poll Yes - TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS [DVD-Audio/Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Yes - TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
I know what you mean! I occasionally do it still because as we know it can be rewarding with some difficult albums. One album that I've recently tried this with is Anderson Stolt - Invention of Knowledge. But in that case it didn't work! 10 listens and I still really don't like that album. I keep persevering because of all the glowing reviews, and all the forum posts comparing it to Tales. Tales is one of my favourite albums (and Jon Anderson one of my favourite artists), but IOK I don't think will ever be. IOK is not difficult, its just meh.

I haven't even been able to get through that whole album yet. I love Jon- my fave male music artist. But his lyrics have become so overwhelmingly positive it becomes cloying. His Yes lyrics were full of positivity, but there was a balance between Light and dark. The epics generally had the positivity as a result of getting through the negative. The contrast gave the Light it's power. But for a long time now, Jon has been just in the Light with no darkness to be found.

It's become increasingly annoying to me over the years. I had a hard time getting into APB b/c of it, but seeing it performed live I loved it. My 1st listen to IOK the lyrics are so saccharine I just couldn't continue. Attempts to re-visit it have had the same results; I fear I've developed a negative association w/ it that will be hard to overcome. And with no live performance to redeem it.

There seems to be some good melodies and some good arrangements, but any comparisons to Tales musically is ridiculous imo. I personally don't believe you can make music anywhere near that caliber by swapping files over the net. I think the give-and-take of a band working together is required to make a great album- with all the struggle and complications that entails. Nothing great comes easy.

Tales was the result of a grand vision with much effort put forth to realize it. SW's re-mix was the result of work done over 3 years. All the Power and Glory of this release has been the consequence of much time, effort and focus. It shows in the great results achieved.

I've listened to the complete Tales 5.1 mix now about 8 times (which is a ridiculous amount for me). I still get so many chills and thrills w/ each listen. I don't think my feelings for this mix will fade at all. Pure bliss each time.

I love YES, but I think this would have made a really good single album if it had been edited down a bit. I have been trying very hard to get into this since I first bought the LP some 40 years ago. Some of this I really like a lot, some not so much, especially the first 14 minutes of The Ancient which doesn't do much for me. The surround and fidelity are fine, so all things considered it had to be 8.

I have never owned this album and can't say I've ever heard it before buying the 5.1 mix. I've listened to it a few times now and I am loving it. I can't add much to what has already been said except to suggest very strongly to everyone to take some time to listen to the instrumental versions of the songs too wow they are really great too.

This 5.1 remix just gets better with every listen. :)

The live track from Zurich is a real nice bonus! (So... just this track survived? Or is this a calling card for a forthcoming live release?)

I need to find the time to listen to the original stereo mix in all its HD glory but the 5.1 remix is stealing the spotlight.
I quickly listened to a few moments and... Yep, this will be the first time hearing the stereo mix undamaged! The included 'needle drops' of the original albums spotlight how badly they were mastered when originally released. And we never were treated to audiophile editions like we were for TYA, Fragile, & CTTE back in the day.

One thing that I find kind of shocking on not only this release but all the Yes remaster/remix blurays is the production of instrumental remixes. Jon Anderson was such a big part of this band. I appreciate that his vocal style isn't for everyone but this is just wrong. That this could have even been approved by anyone involved is kind of shocking. How about a version that replaces Steve's guitar parts with Trevor (ducks)? (Sorry, that's really horrible.)

This 5.1 remix just gets better with every listen. :)

The live track from Zurich is a real nice bonus! (So... just this track survived? Or is this a calling card for a forthcoming live release?)

I need to find the time to listen to the original stereo mix in all its HD glory but the 5.1 remix is stealing the spotlight.
I quickly listened to a few moments and... Yep, this will be the first time hearing the stereo mix undamaged! The included 'needle drops' of the original albums spotlight how badly they were mastered when originally released. And we never were treated to audiophile editions like we were for TYA, Fragile, & CTTE back in the day.

One thing that I find kind of shocking on not only this release but all the Yes remaster/remix blurays is the production of instrumental remixes. Jon Anderson was such a big part of this band. I appreciate that his vocal style isn't for everyone but this is just wrong. That this could have even been approved by anyone involved is kind of shocking. How about a version that replaces Steve's guitar parts with Trevor (ducks)? (Sorry, that's really horrible.)

Yes, the 5.1 mix is just amazing in my book. I just keep this package out- maybe 2-3 days tops until it goes back in. And the chills just keep coming unabated.

Like what you said about instrumentals on these and totally agree. It's not like you're just losing vocals. Jon uses his voice as an instrument, so taking that away is taking one of the instruments out of the instrumental...

Glad you're enjoying all the extras. I just have the dvd-a and have yet to listen to a thing besides the 5.1. Nothing can compete- not enough curiosity to forgo that sumptuous treat. Not that there's much on the dvd set anyway.

Keep on sailing...

Another one under the Christmas tree this year. While any listen to this album will usually take more than one sitting, what I'm hearing thus far is typical SW. The harmonies, in particular, really stand out. I really need more time in life for surround again.

I gave the set an overall solid 9.

It's been years since I owned the cd and even more since the vinyl. Since I first bought vinyl back in the 70's it was a record I sometimes got into but never really could put into my top tier Yes albums. Steven's new mixes though just brought out so much more clarity and brought the music to life for me.

I wish I had more time to play it more often than I do. As it stands now I have to close the door to my room and "warn" Mrs DC that I'm going to be playing a Yes disc now so you may want to keep your distance (she's not a fan heheh).

I am behind in my ratings,this is a 10. I bought the Dvd Audio version as wanted to play this in the car as well as home and there are are some fantastic reviews here already so I can't really add anything other than repeating that this is a great addition to any Yes fans library as Steven Wilson has done a masterful job of fleshing out the album, have never heard this album sound this good.

peter

Wow! Love this! Easy "10" for all the reasons already stated by others.

But let me say this: This has been my first experience with this album. Never having been a huge Yes fan and having been put off by this album for all the various negative reasons given about it over the years: too long, too dense, too self-indulgent, etc. and yes, it is all of that but I love it. It is easily my favorite Yes album.

It is glorious in surround. I don't know if I would have had the time or inclination to appreciate this album when I was a teenager, or what I might have though if it in the original stereo mix, but it's certainly a work of art.

Wow! Love this! Easy "10" for all the reasons already stated by others.

But let me say this: This has been my first experience with this album. Never having been a huge Yes fan and having been put off by this album for all the various negative reasons given about it over the years: too long, too dense, too self-indulgent, etc. and yes, it is all of that but I love it. It is easily my favorite Yes album.

It is glorious in surround. I don't know if I would have had the time or inclination to appreciate this album when I was a teenager, or what I might have though if it in the original stereo mix, but it's certainly a work of art.

TFPO is verging on being my favorite Yes remix/reissue. For one thing, I'm not burned out on it. For another, it is surprisingly interesting to me. Especially since I'm content letting it drift in to the background here and there. It is Relayer that I have trouble getting in to. But the 5.1 remix helps that album too.

Question: After the intro on the extended alternative version of Dance of The Dawn, is it the same take/mix as the album version (track 1)?

Yes, after the two minute extended intro it's exactly the same. I compared both of them when ripping the blu-rays to flac, and I ended up just using the extended version for my flac album version instead of the original. Actually, technically speaking the extended version is the original, but apparently was cut from the record due to time constraints, so it's the original original, restored. :D

Thanks, Frogmort. You did exactly what I plan to do - using that version as a replacement for track one. I figured someone had made that comparison and I knew that the intro was originally dropped for the reason you stated.

Thanks, Frogmort. You did exactly what I plan to do - using that version as a replacement for track one. I figured someone had made that comparison and I knew that the intro was originally dropped for the reason you stated.
I wish there were an option to just play it this way from the disc. My first exposure to the album was through the Rhino remaster, so I expect to hear the original (cut) intro.

Yes, after the two minute extended intro it's exactly the same. I compared both of them when ripping the blu-rays to flac, and I ended up just using the extended version for my flac album version instead of the original. Actually, technically speaking the extended version is the original, but apparently was cut from the record due to time constraints, so it's the original original, restored. :D

I did the same thing with the full length version of "Revealing Science of God". Also when playing the Blu-Ray, I cue that song up first (then cue the rest of album).

I keep trying and trying with this rethink of one of my favorite albums but...ugh, what did Wilson do to Jon Anderson's lead vocals on 'Ritual'? :(

Eddy Offord rulez. ;)

So, I settled on a strong 10 for this one. Not only did the QQ family contend to get this one released, it is also just awesome in its execution. The mud of the original removed. Complex layers exposed.
It is in perpetual rotation around Chez Baggins.

So, I settled on a strong 10 for this one. Not only did the QQ family contend to get this one released, it is also just awesome in its execution. The mud of the original removed. Complex layers exposed.
It is in perpetual rotation around Chez Baggins.

Eating Cheez Its and listening to 5.1 - not good idea - too much munching noises :mad:@:

And yes they tend to fall on the carpet all around you :banana:

:rolleyes:

I love this album so much. Great job by Steven Wilson, except there needs to be about a 10dB increase on the subs just to give it any real bass, but I don't mind doing that on my end. Although I'm not what you'd call a 'spiritualist' type person overall, this album speaks so much to me on that level. Musically, this is like my 'Bible'. So much peace, love, and happiness in this album.

Back