HiRez Poll Yes - TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS [DVD-Audio/Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Yes - TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
A question to those who have heard this : How does the The Remembering fare in surround ? Some of those synthesiser sections have a lot of depth in the original stereo mix - I'm hoping it's even more so in 5.1.....

Wow. I don't know if I can add much beyond what's already been stated other than to say I share in everyone's enthusiasm and praise for this release. Superb music, mix & fidelity. Yes, I believe SW may have taken more liberties with this one (particularly with the centering of elements and eliminating some active pans) but his choices serve the music well and make for an incredibly well-balanced and immersive experience. Only the imminent arrival of Skylarking can rip this beauty out of my player. :)

10+

The Remembering is fantastic in surround. Depth is something that this mix has in spades; Wakey's keys benefit the most, imo. They hover in massive spaces. I feel like TR gets the 2nd biggest boost w/ the 5.1 mix, behind the Ancient. TR has so many subtle elements; given the space to breath and the added presence, it really comes to life. I can't imagine you wouldn't be thrilled upon hearing it,

This album is totally new to me (Don't just me DennisMooreJr! I have no lupins!), so I'll need many listens before I vote.

It's different, to my ears. More open and ethereal than previous albums. I like it, but I need time to digest.

I'm digging it so far.

Hammer meet nail head. Very apt description. The amount of time this albums "rocks" is significantly cut down compared to previous albums. Rather tahn rock, it flows. Howe plays relatively few riffs throughout the 4 sides; more often, he takes lines made w/ unique tones and weaves them within and through the passage. And Rick's keys are less often about big runs or flashy playing (though his solo in RSoG may be the best he's ever done) but more about adding ambiance and texture.

Time to digest- lol. This is some extremely complicated music that takes themes and develops and restates them over the course of the whole album, not just within songs. Themes and references also come from previous and future! albums. "Relayer,all the dying cry before you." Little snippets of themes from CttE pop up. There is so much going on- even the quiet passages have all these little accents and flourishes going on right at the edge of perception.

Personally, I'm amazed by people who "get" this on 1st listen; there's a picture of this album under "grower" in my dictionary. I was firmly in the rush of my initial Yes fandom when I got this in '75 and my reaction to my 1st hearing can best be described as confused. It took many listens and also hearing it in just the right environment for it to click, but once it clicked, it did so big time.

Congrats- you're in for some revelatory times as you progress with this gem. And as glorious a composition as it is, SW's mix has taken those glories and expanded them and brought them to even higher planes.

Always an avid Yes fan through the years in all of their various incarnations... Tales in my humble opinion stands as their Magnum Opus. Truly sublime front to back, all 80+ minutes of it. What SW has done with with this masterwork is a revelation. An awakening of a slumbering giant... the sonic elevation is staggering, quintessential surround.

My sincere thanks, I would vote 11 if I could.

All these great reviews are driving me crazy!!! I'm stuck at a veterinary conference while my magnificent blu-ray waits for me at home... only 2 more days...

Well I've cancelled my Amazon UK order and gone with the Shed, even though they were over £5 more expensive, you would think they'd get the best deal from Panegyric. It sounds like this needs to be heard sooner rather than later! Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow, but today we have Skylarking :D

Tales will be most interesting for me as I've never heard the album before. I've not really seen a negative comment on the new mix, likewise I've not really seen a positive review of the original. So, my question for you guys is...

Should I listen to the original stereo mix first or just dive into the 5.1 goodness???

Well I've cancelled my Amazon UK order and gone with the Shed, even though they were over £5 more expensive, you would think they'd get the best deal from Panegyric. It sounds like this needs to be heard sooner rather than later! Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow, but today we have Skylarking :D

Tales will be most interesting for me as I've never heard the album before. I've not really seen a negative comment on the new mix, likewise I've not really seen a positive review of the original. So, my question for you guys is...

Should I listen to the original stereo mix first or just dive into the 5.1 goodness???

YES, do that.

And as far as never seeing a positive review of the original are you saying you just never seen one or that all you have seen are bad? Because I for one (and many others here) have always liked this record.

YES, do that.

And as far as never seeing a positive review of the original are you saying you just never seen one or that all you have seen are bad? Because I for one (and many others here) have always liked this record.

No, I've seen equally positive and negative reviews of the actual music, but generally poor reviews of the original audio mix...

No, I've seen equally positive and negative reviews of the actual music, but generally poor reviews of the original audio mix...

The original mix has always been a bit muddy and that has been the complaint by many over the years but it doesn't take away from the music itself which is brilliant. The 5.1 mix now brings a whole new light to this masterpiece.

I'd say dive right in the 5.1. If you wanted to spend a lot of time getting to know the album in stereo first, that could be a plus to enjoying the new mix even more. But at this point, a few listenings in 2.0 won't do anything to enhance the pleasure of the 5.1 mix. Just have at 'er.

Good luck w/ that 1st listen- there's an awful lot to take in. Hope it clicks w/ you. Look forward to hearing your impressions.

What happened, to the songs, we once knew so well ? ............
We must have waited all our lives for this....Moment, Moment, MOMENT !!!

Absolute Perfection

Too many "Holy Crap" moments to mention.

Thanks SW, you have brought tears of joy to many listeners.

Sadly, I have a feeling that this is our Pinnacle. :smokin

What happened, to the songs, we once knew so well ? ............
We must have waited all our lives for this....Moment, Moment, MOMENT !!!

Absolute Perfection

Too many "Holy Crap" moments to mention.

Thanks SW, you have brought tears of joy to many listeners.

Sadly, I have a feeling that this is our Pinnacle. :smokin

Very nice! Just wondering why you're sad to reach the summit? It's the peak for me too, but I'm lovin' the view!

Well, it IS the "pinnacle"...for now!!!!!

Never underestimate the power of a Scorpio!

I had to check google to see if SW was the scorpio to which you referred- and not only is he, his b'day is the day after mine! Thanks for the nudge to investigate.

And I'm w/ Adam- are you hinting at something special coming soon? Not that I need anything else at this point- totally satiated w/ Tales. But it'd be nice to think something else special is in the future.

Another Gem ! Thank you Steven Wilson ! as with most BluRay you got to crank it a bit , great mix, great dynamics and clarity !
So besides the "Intro" on Dance Of The Dawn are there other differences in the mix that i missed?
Also whats your choice of playback on BluRay ?

I had to check google to see if SW was the scorpio to which you referred- and not only is he, his b'day is the day after mine! Thanks for the nudge to investigate.

And I'm w/ Adam- are you hinting at something special coming soon? Not that I need anything else at this point- totally satiated w/ Tales. But it'd be nice to think something else special is in the future.

Well, even though Steven has stated that he is not doing more remixes for now, you never know what lurks inside his mind...

:smokin

The Revealing Science of Steven Wilson IS evident here. The surround mix is a triumph and an automatic 10. I have both the DVDA and Bluray. I had the DVDA a week longer than the Bluray. The vocals and Mellotron are crystal clear. Everything is glorious overall. At first I thought sounds such as the hihat and cymbals seemed a bit cloudy here or there, this would be while listening to the DVDA. I thought perhaps the master tapes were worn or whatever. Now while listening to the Bluray that seems to have disappeared. Maybe I warmed up to this mix. Repeated listenings reveal hidden instruments and vocals as well as Wilsons surround treatments. My cat totally freaks out during the minimoog solo in Revealing.

Dance of the Dawn has the extended intro, but Wisons mix of Dance of the Dawn also extends the beginning of that same minimoog solo mentioned before by a few bars as well. Could this be the original edit? The Rhino version is not extended (except for the intro).This extended solo for me is uncomfortable. I sampled the live Ritual track. Not a big fan. I have at least 4 bootlegs from this tour that I enjoy more. Personally the 5.1 surround mix is generally the only way I will listen to this. Great Job.

The Wakeman solo (and accompanying music) that ended up on the album is an edit of the longer version heard on the 'Studio Run Through' of Revealing.

Eddie Offord's genius shone through again, on that. He gave that solo a dramatic arc by careful cut and paste.

Unfortunately Wakeman *never* played it that way live, in any version I've heard.

Back