JVC 4VR-5406?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n8nagel

Worth a pickup?

Looking for something that I can use to play both matrix and CD-4, and also with at least one discrete input so I can use my Oppo blu-ray player to downmix modern surround formats to 4.0. there is one of these on my local Craig's and I am finding literally no information on this online. Been keeping an eye out for Sansuis but haven't found anything.

I am afraid that it won't do CD4 if the info I found on a model or two up is any indication. I seems likely to have a simulated SQ mode and a discrete input. I would say that if it is $20 and close to you, give it a try, or else forget it. It will likely have less that 15 watts per channel. For sound quality, it should be good though. I have a JVC 4VR 5456x and am very happy with it. Sounds similar to th Sansuis. Mine will do all you ask for with more power. I would keep looking as they do turn up cheap sometimes. Mine cost $30 plus about $60 for repairs. That is cheap for quad with overr 30 watts per channel. Good luck on your quest.

OK fair enough. It just looked interesting. I have targeted a Sansui QRX-7001 but haven't found one yet for a decent price; there is a Technics 8500x on my local Craigs as well that I'm waiting to see if the seller will go down on on price. If it stays up for another week I will drop the seller a line and try to snag it.

I have the Sansui QRX 7001 and like the sound, but my JVC has more inputs, more power and equalisers for front and back as well as front 4 channel inputs for testing gear. I am not knocking the Sansui, but the JVC is more flexible and allows more inputs and upgrading flexibility. It also has a scope output for my Technics scope. I like my toys and vintage formats. Either way, both have much more han the one you were looking at.

I have to let you know that I did find out a bit more about the JVC 4VR5406. It does do CD4 but only seems to have a pseudo SQ matrix mode. It does 10 watts per channel in stereo. I would have to guess that means about 6-7 watts in 4 channel. It would be a good bedroom/background system or for use at a computer for auditioning audio during audio cleanup. I don't think it would perform well as a main system unless you have REALLY efficient speakers. I have to suspect that it is an early model and the CD4 will be basic 1st gen stuff. Again, if it is cheap, go for it. Make sure you can ry it out first.

Back