Anglagard live blu-ray in 2017

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

von kulper

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Hoping to drum up some support and interest in this FANTASTIC swedish prog band...

Just posted to their facebook: https://www.facebook.com/anglagardrecords/posts/10154487257701223

Swedish progressive rock pioneers Änglagård have officially announced today the arrival of their first ever live recording in the form of a DVD / Blu Ray; alongside with the opening of their Official International Fan Club Page.
The live recording took place during the band's concert at Norway last year 2015, and is expected to be released before the band embarks next February 2017 as part of the line-up of Cruise to the Edge.

I inquired about possible 5.1 and lossless audio on the release, to which I received a succinct "Yes!" from an individual named Joel.

After speaking with him further through private message, he informed me that he is heavily involved with the production of this release, and that audio is being mixed right now (hope he doesn't mind me passing this info along...). He indicated that surround sound is something that is definitely being considered, but that he needed to reconfirm it with the engineer. So, my take is that the 5.1 is not a certainty at this point, but a strong possibility. Anglagard's stereo releases have always had excellent fidelity with plenty of dynamic headroom. So, even if it's lacking a surround mix, I'm confident it's going to sound incredible! I told him about this forum, so hopefully he checks it out, and lets himself be known here.

To those who haven't heard Anglagard, they're a fantastic Swedish prog group who've been around since the early 90's. They definitely play to the Genesis, Gentle Giant, and King Crimson (Lake era), fanatic in me. Lush mellotron, quirky time signatures, beautiful acoustic passages. Great stuff

If you haven't heard them, I definitely recommend you check out the following tracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVjkb8PbP5Q&list=PLC8ao1-JpsqOyIlAFenCpL8PHWuqETN7y&index=3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V0CVXV_pkI

This stuff would lend itself PERFECTLY to an aggressive surround presentation. I'm really hoping we get something along the same quality as the Big Big Train blu-ray.

And, maybe, if they pull this off and it does well, it will spur the band to give us some studio 5.1 material :)

Yes this is a definite buy for me, proud owner of all their albums including Hybris on vinyl (yes I got somewhat lucky in the early 2000).

The dream would be Steven Wilson to do a surround mix of Hybris.

Yes this is a definite buy for me, proud owner of all their albums including Hybris on vinyl (yes I got somewhat lucky in the early 2000).

The dream would be Steven Wilson to do a surround mix of Hybris.

Lucky bugger! That's awesome. That thing goes for a big chunk of change. I was lucky enough to order a copy of Epilog direct from The Wild Places about 12 years ago or so. Would really like to get Hybris, but not at the typical $500.00 asking price... :yikes

Yes, terrific band. Their two 90's albums in particular are stunning. I saw the re-formed lineup at NEARfest a few years back. I'm happy that they've been able to continue performing.

Yes, terrific band. Their two 90's albums in particular are stunning. I saw the re-formed lineup at NEARfest a few years back. I'm happy that they've been able to continue performing.

They are on the schedule at ROSFEST this year, in Gettysburg first weekend in May:)

Just got this in the mail today from the band's website. Very pleased to hear some new prog rock in surround.

Last edited:
Just got this in the mail today from the band's website. The surround mix is quite discrete. Only Dolby 5.1. I think there is something wrong with the Bluray because it only plays in stereo with no audio set up option or track listing unlike the DVD which is just fine. Very pleased to hear some new prog rock in surround.

Oh no, this is bad news, no surround on the blu-ray...:mad: maybe that's why they selling both because they mess up the blu-ray

I just found out the bluray plays fine. You have to press the pop-up menu to get DTS-HD master audio as well as track listing choices.

20170225_150601.jpg

Got mine today! (y) Haven't had a chance to listen yet, but plan to give it a thorough listen tonight. Will report back when I do

So, I'm about twenty minutes in, so far. Excellent sound quality/fidelity, surround field has some discrete activity, but for the most part it seems to be mostly front-heavy. There does seem to be some strange syncing issues with the audio and video throughout, and very noticeable while watching the drummer. What he's playing is certainly not what's coming through the speakers... Mixamatt, did you notice this at all?

Wow, I'm having some major playback issues. First off, there's not just "some" syncing, I'm thinking the entire audio track is lagging by maybe a full second. Second, about 43 minute mark, the disc glitches out, stutters skips ahead a few minutes and then freezes...

I'm hoping I just got a bad disc, and the entire pressing is suffering from this...

Edit: Tried out a different blu-ray player as I thought maybe it was just my stubborn old OPPO 83, and I'm still getting some stuttering and some temporary freezing, and the picture will glitch out into a bunch of bulky pixels. Getting some pops other strange noises in the audio... Serious bummer (n)

Wow, I'm having some major playback issues. First off, there's not just "some" syncing, I'm thinking the entire audio track is lagging by maybe a full second. Second, about 43 minute mark, the disc glitches out, stutters skips ahead a few minutes and then freezes...

I'm hoping I just got a bad disc, and the entire pressing is suffering from this...

Edit: Tried out a different blu-ray player as I thought maybe it was just my stubborn old OPPO 83, and I'm still getting some stuttering and some temporary freezing, and the picture will glitch out into a bunch of bulky pixels. Getting some pops other strange noises in the audio... Serious bummer (n)

Definitely return the disc. Did you try the DVD? Both mine play fine on my Oppo 103. There may have been some problems with the first pressings.

Thanks, mixamatt. I'm glad that the problem seems to just be with my disc, and it's not with the whole run of discs. I had ordered directly from their website, and I've been in contact with a representative who said he'll be getting a new disc to me right away.

And I assume you haven't had any syncing issues, Matt? ( I guess I'm making a big assumption that your name is actually Matt... My name certainly isn't Von or Kulper, for that matter :p)

So, just following up. I received a replacement disc and it's working perfectly. No more freezing or audio glitches, and the audio is perfectly in sync with the video. Still not the most active surround mix, but excellent fidelity/sound quality, and wonderful performance from this amazing band. (y)(y)

So, just following up. I received a replacement disc and it's working perfectly. No more freezing or audio glitches, and the audio is perfectly in sync with the video. Still not the most active surround mix, but excellent fidelity/sound quality, and wonderful performance from this amazing band. (y)(y)

Glad things worked out. I just watched my bluray and the sync is off. Watching them talk to the audience is obvious. Not a deal breaker because I usually listen with my eyes closed. Excellent analog prog rock. I saw on facebook that they intend to rerelease their studio albums.

Last edited:
Sync is off on my blu-ray, too... :( It's very noticeable, like a whole second.

Back