Technics 4 Channel AFD 17" Color Scope

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Anderson

Staff member
This Technics 4 Channel AFD 17" Color Scope came from a collector in Texas and below are his emails describing the scope

AFD Scope 1.jpg
AFD Scope 2.jpg
It is a 17" CRT that displays in red green and blue as They divided the audio into three bands and drive each gun, produces a typical quad o'scope display only in colors and was made for dealer display.

One thing the engineers forgot was a spot killer when no audio is present. The beams burned a hole on the phosphor.

The rear panel has speaker level input binding posts. I think the "74A" is likely the year and month it was built.

Dimensions of the quad scope are 16"H X 16"D X 22"W

Not exactly a precision test instrument, made to display 4 channels in a showroom. Made to simply look cool. It was set up in Panasonic's Irving TX showroom originally, where they had a big room with just about everything they sold in the US on display. 1982, it had been in the showroom at the Panasonic facility in Irving TX where I worked at the time, and was getting tossed. Obsolete junk to them.
-----------------------------------------------

I took some pictures when I brought it home and asked about some of the things I was seeing

-----------------------------------------------
#1 appears to be an special add-on board to drive a second deflection yolk with the 4 channel signals and the side controls.

#2 is the original deflection yolk as I suspected they left it hooked up so the HV and sweep circuits would work, it would normally be on the neck of the CRT.

Not sure what other tricks the engineers that made this have implemented.
All that other stuff on the neck of the tube are usual; RGB convergence with all the adj pots, and the CRT socket board that connects to the pins on the tube.
AFD Scope 3.jpg
AFD Scope 4.jpg
AFD Scope 5.jpg
------------------------------------------------
Here is a video of the scope in operation. The controls were turned up for effect and is no way calibrated at this point.
http://www.surrounddiscography.com/quaddisc/Technics 4 Channel AFD Color Scope.mp4

Last edited:
Many Many years ago
I saw the same thing in a JVC setup in Sydney
The showroom had been pulled apart
but the tv setup was still there
and not working
I have kicked myself time and time again
for not tryng harder to get it

Is it just me, or does it look like a TV with the guts removed or never installed and custom circuitry put in? I am wondering if this would be a great use for an old CRT television if the boards could be documented. Console Quad Scope anybody?

Is it just me, or does it look like a TV with the guts removed or never installed and custom circuitry put in? I am wondering if this would be a great use for an old CRT television if the boards could be documented. Console Quad Scope anybody?

You are correct. It is a TV modified for use as a display scope. You can see the original deflection yoke moved to the right side (#2) in order for the new yoke to attach to the CRT. I was a little troubled by that at first as it is mounted to plexiglass and is still operational. Other boards were added. I do not think you would want to try this at home.

Definitely a cool item to have an original of.

However, I'm betting there might be an electronics person on the forum that's especially knowledgeable in CRT televisions, that might be able reverse engineer this into a CRT television or monitor that everyone is parting ways with these days...

Back