Involve Surround Master?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi. NiVision99

Great you are getting the SM I have one and I would not part with it for $10000000 buk`s for SQ & QS its the best and don`t for get it does the best Stereo Synth to Surround to.

The 4 channel out is for your matrix decode & when you take the front 4 channel out to the front 5.1 out and connect the centre & sub this will decode DTS 5.1 & DOLBY 5.1 Surround..
Bill..

The SM does NOT decode DTS and Dolby 5.1 surround! To do so would require digital inputs.

What it can do is "decode" Dolby and DTS 2.0 outputs into synthesized surround.

The SM does NOT decode DTS and Dolby 5.1 surround! To do so would require digital inputs.

What it can do is "decode" Dolby and DTS 2.0 outputs into synthesized surround.

You fold down the 5.1 into Stereo in your DVD or Blue ray player, so when you feed the signal to the SM 5.1 it will decode to 5.1 if you have a SM try it with a DTS or Dolby Test Disc which has channel ID on the Disc.

That's what I described in my second sentence. But it's NOT discreet DD or DTS 5.1. It's matrixed 5.1, like Dolby ProLogic.

I use the analog outputs of my Oppo 105 into the SM. The front and and back outputs go to a Marantz 4300 quad receiver. The center channel(when used) goes to a Marantz 1152 DC amp.

The SM produces some great surround effects from stereo sources. I use this set up for movies(downmixed by the Oppo) too. Not discrete, but sounds great.

Hi All

The great Tab Patterson has just posted this demo of Involve decoding of SQ and QS on a vectorscope. Really interesting stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eb961nWa48

Enjoy!!

Chucky

I agree with him
Maybe what I said over a year ago was right
It is a great unit
You will notice that there is no F Left/F Right R/Left/R Right /Front/Back controls
it just does it right on Both Matrix systems

Very cool! Tab is really THE MAN and a true pioneer (no pun intended) when it comes to quad conversions.

And how sweet is that scope on the QX-949A?? (y)(y)(y)

That 'scope' looks quite cool but it obviously isn't a scope, rather it's simply four level meters arranged in a funky pattern. Often wondered what the technology of those things was (they made appearances in various guises on various pieces of kit to give the outward impression of a scope but at a tiny faction of the cost) - given their vintage I'm assuming they weren't LED bar-graph displays which would be the easy solution today, anyone know or ever taken one apart?

Taking this thread in another direction:

Any possibility of a no logic SQ (and QS) decoder?

IIRC, CBS specified some no logic SQ decoding options:
1. Original (infinite Lf to Rf and infinite Lb to Rb separation),
2. 10-10 blend (~20dB Lf to Rf and Lb to Rb separation),
3. 10-40 blend (~20dB Lf to Rf and ~8dB Lb to Rb separation).

Sansui QS just had the "mono broadcast" mode (90 degree
phase shift between Lt and Rt so that sounds in Lb and Rb
weren't attenuated as much in mono).

I have a Pioneer QX-747 with no logic SQ and QS decoders
(don't know if SQ uses 1 or 2 or 3).

The QX 747 QS decoder seems to provide more defined
directionality than the SQ decoder.

(I can sometimes hear Dolby B decoding working when playing
cassettes, I generally prefer to minimize or eliminate dynamic
signal processing in the audio equipment I use)

Kirk Bayne

Hi

really dunno why you would want to do it but if you search around the net you will find some very simple analogue circuits to do what you want. Alternatively we could reprogram the SM to delete all the smarts for a few hundred $

Regards

Chucky

Kirk Bayne

Kirk Bayne

A lot of Non-logic decoders are available on eBay, most are quite inexpensive. Older Sansui equipment all had non-logic, (pre vario-matrix) decoders in them. If that's what you want and they are all analog too! The original Audionics SQ decoder had no logic and sounded good, it just had an accurate phase shift network. Don't expect much as far as discrete effects, it's more like mono through multiple speakers with some speakers phase shifted. You also have the Electrovoice Stereo 4, or just the Dyna passive speaker connection, to choose from.

Sounds like I'm gonna have to order one of these eventually, too good to pass on tho I'll wait for the newer version. One question, it seems smart and will handle 5.1 or 4.0 depending on how you have it connected. What about 4.1??

Thanks,

Q

Yep 4.1 is fine

Regards

Chucky

Sounds like I'm gonna have to order one of these eventually, too good to pass on tho I'll wait for the newer version. One question, it seems smart and will handle 5.1 or 4.0 depending on how you have it connected. What about 4.1??

Thanks,

Q

Back