Surround Master shoot outs.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArmyOfQuad

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Anyone out there still planning on participating in the EV4 shoot out, or am I clear to post those results?

If you do plan on participating in the EV4, when you do plan to send your review?

How many of you plan on participating in the SQ shoot outs?

I've been rather disappointed in the amount of participation, and am questioning if I should bother...

Anyone out there still planning on participating in the EV4 shoot out, or am I clear to post those results?

If you do plan on participating in the EV4, when you do plan to send your review?

I've been rather disappointed in the amount of participation, and am questioning if I should bother...

Just you do your own review
And tell us what you think
That will get things rolling

Ron

I'm keen to do a SQ shootout, and many thanks for doing the the EV one....

I'm curious to know your results.

I'd love to but I don't have this kind of analog gear!

Frankly, it wasn't until just a few years ago that I ever heard a few 'proper' decodes of SQ sources (some done by major labels and some by civilians). Before that I assumed the format flat out didn't work at any reasonable level. I was pleasantly shocked to hear it working at a very high level!

So, please keep up this effort and rescue some of those recordings where the masters have been lost! :)

Unfortunately I am not technically equipped to participate, but I support your efforts in principle!

Yes you are! Fully equipped! :)

You have a surround system setup and your ears.. you don't need any old records or decoders and stuff to take part in AOQ's shoot out, these are listening and evaluation comparison tests, AOQ does all the work! Amazing!

I'd love to but I don't have this kind of analog gear!

Frankly, it wasn't until just a few years ago that I ever heard a few 'proper' decodes of SQ sources (some done by major labels and some by civilians). Before that I assumed the format flat out didn't work at any reasonable level. I was pleasantly shocked to hear it working at a very high level!

So, please keep up this effort and rescue some of those recordings where the masters have been lost! :)

Oh.. as I just said to Ken, you don't need any old Quad gear or LPs to participate in AOQ's shoot out!
Just your listening skills and knowledge of surround sound, both of which you are fully furnished in (and then some!)

Ps. fwiw I was very Anti matrix Quad until I started exploring it and now I'm totally sold on it, it can be surprisingly effective and where there is no discrete Quad source SQ has been an absolute Godsend.

Yes you are! Fully equipped! :)

You have a surround system setup and your ears.. you don't need any old records or decoders and stuff to take part in AOQ's shoot out, these are listening and evaluation comparison tests, AOQ does all the work! Amazing!

OK, lay it out for us... how exactly are we to participate? Downloads? I guess I have never seen the thread that proposed the project, and so I am unclear about HOW to participate. More detail please.

Yeah, I believe I'm late to the party and need to be led to the water as well then. :)

I didn't post exact links in the forum because, although I feel that fair use should cover using materials for research and educational purposes, I didn't want to enter any gray areas here, so I posted a link to my youtube video which in the comments has links to the materials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_8vqhrV-8E

On the description of the youtube video are links, you can download a dvd-a only version, or the bin and cue files for a dts CD. There's also a link for a text document with information and instructions.

Just want to add, fwiw I really found this a fascinating test, its a shame the responses have been poor, AOQ's incredible work should be encouraged.

so anyone here remotely interested who has a DVD player and a Quad system setup and a bit of free time on their hands, why not go for it!

Its free and its fun and its of great benefit to the preservation of Quad and advancements in decoding processes of matrix systems etc for the future of Quad.

seeing as it amounts to listening to a whole load of surround music and giving your opinion on your reactions and responses to it, it sounds right up the street of many QQ members and something that scores of us here do every day on this forum!

no big chore is it.. and its really more interesting and engaging than it has a right to (and I can't wait for the SQ shoot out!!) :D

The next time I have access to unlimited internet at the folks, I will download the required listening materials and join in! Thanks for the effort. Looking forward to doing this. YouTube page linked...

I'll try again. I started in the car but I need to take notes. There are variables to keep track of.

Really was not sure where to put this but this is kinda the right place.

Some of our video's dropped off the end of Youtube. Fortunately Nathan saved the day and backed them up on Vimeo. Have a watch of these vectorscope videos taken with Rustyandi, I actually forgot we had some of these:

Involve decode of Dolby Pro Logic II

Involve - decode of Electro Voice EV4

Involve decode of QS format.

Involve vs DTS Discrete

Vectorscope comparison of the QSD1 decoder and the Involve Surround Master

Involve get Surround Sound from Stereo recordings vs Dolby PL2.
https://vimeo.com/62753201

Involve Audio SQ Decoding. Involve SQ vs Tate SQ
https://vimeo.com/71959530

Back