Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Blog entryCreated Album picturesTagger First Class
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: SURROUND RELEASES overview

I got 32 releases in 2017, and I only ended up hating two of them:

1) Bill Bruford - "Seems Like A Lifetime Ago" (awful quality Dullby only DVDs, sold it off almost immediately after receiving it)
    2) Roy Orbison - "Black & White Night 30th Anniversary" (new surround mix is terrible, older ELS one is so much better!)

Other than that, I enjoyed every other release I got in 2017.

Surround yourself with the best.

Coming soon in 2018: “Fleetwood Mac” (1975 album); “Heavy Horses” (Jethro Tull); "Fish Out Of Water" (Chris Squire) and “ROXY MUSIC”!

2. Thanks peterzach, Clint Eastwood thanked for this post
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second ClassSocial25000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rtbluray View Post
    I got 32 releases in 2017, and I only ended up hating two of them:

1) Bill Bruford - "Seems Like A Lifetime Ago" (awful quality Dullby only DVDs, sold it off almost immediately after receiving it)
    2) Roy Orbison - "Black & White Night 30th Anniversary" (new surround mix is terrible, older ELS one is so much better!)

Other than that, I enjoyed every other release I got in 2017.

Ryan, so 32-2=30 and every other release so that's 15 good ones
    Sorry for being cheeky, I know what you mean, 30 good releases, that's more than 2 a month.
    I agree with you, it was a great year for surround music and the choices we got were good ones.

4. Thanks rtbluray thanked for this post
    Likes rtbluray liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Eastwood View Post
    When you say Hotel California was a waste.. is it because it's the same mix as before? That's why I didn't buy it..
    I'll chime in with my own reasons - three discs at a high price point. the only thing "new" to me was the live disc, and it only seems to be half the concert. I also regret this purchase. I already had the SACD.

6. Thanks Clint Eastwood thanked for this post
    Likes Clint Eastwood liked this post
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star marpow's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

When you say Hotel California was a waste.. is it because it's the same mix as before? That's why I didn't buy it..
    I believe it is a different mix as the DVD A and the BD sound different to me, see my review on the poll. Not better just different.
    The reason it was a big waste of money was this: way too expensive for a big book and live CD. The 5.1 BD had no pictures, no lyrics, etc. So why I spent over a hundred dollars is stupid for me, maybe not for others.
    I was happy when I only had the DVD A, now I am unhappy that I wasted my money with something I already had.

8. Thanks peterzach thanked for this post
    Likes peterzach liked this post
    Level
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drphibes View Post
    I'll chime in with my own reasons - three discs at a high price point. the only thing "new" to me was the live disc, and it only seems to be half the concert. I also regret this purchase. I already had the SACD.
    When I looked at it..and having the SACD... I didn't see anything for me...on any of these box sets I don't listen to all the outtakes and the same songs over and over again on CDs..I don't need the books either...I never read them..I'd be happy with the surround disc in a plain paper bag...

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star 4-earredwonder's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 76.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

When I looked at it..and having the SACD... I didn't see anything for me...on any of these box sets I don't listen to all the outtakes and the same songs over and over again on CDs..I don't need the books either...I never read them..I'd be happy with the surround disc in a plain paper bag...
    Amen to that, Clint. But as long as the record companies and artists produce these elaborate bells and whistles boxsets and the public continues buying them I'm sure they'll continue to produce them. I have a couple of Amazon $100 gift cards and was contemplating buying the Farewell to the King set but resisted since I have a perfectly serviceable BD~A 5.1 and can honestly live without the Steve Wilson remix. If it [the SW remixed Rush BD~A] WAS offered separately, I'd surely buy it but really, 4 Vinyl Discs in a space guzzling giant boxset is anathema, at least to ME!

11. Likes marpow liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marpow View Post
    I believe it is a different mix as the DVD A and the BD sound different to me, see my review on the poll. Not better just different.
    The reason it was a big waste of money was this: way too expensive for a big book and live CD. The 5.1 BD had no pictures, no lyrics, etc. So why I spent over a hundred dollars is stupid for me, maybe not for others.
    I was happy when I only had the DVD A, now I am unhappy that I wasted my money with something I already had.
    I can't speak for the DVD-A...I have the SACD..which was mixed solely by Elliot Scheiner...now the DVD-A lists Elliot Scheiner and Bill Szymczk...but I suspect it was all Elliot with the mix but Bill did about everything else from recording to producing..he had previously worked with Joe Walsh and the James Gang and followed him to the Eagles...where he did a lot of their work...he wore many hats..now the blu ray doesn't list "Elliot" at all.....there is no specific information given in the credits for the 5.1 mix...like the DVD-A and the SACD...it merely says mixed by Bill...as I suspect he merely used the previous 5.1 mix....Bill had made so much money that he retired in 1990...and he came back 2005 and 2007-08 to work on some projects..he will be 75 in a couple of weeks...he's an interesting guy...never had any real connection to the music industry...he was a sonar operator in the Navy and took some Navy classes in audio production...but he worked with some high profile bands

13. Thanks rtbluray, fredblue thanked for this post
    Likes rtbluray liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4-earredwonder View Post
    Amen to that, Clint. But as long as the record companies and artists produce these elaborate bells and whistles boxsets and the public continues buying them I'm sure they'll continue to produce them. I have a couple of Amazon $100 gift cards and was contemplating buying the Farewell to the King set but resisted since I have a perfectly serviceable BD~A 5.1 and can honestly live without the Steve Wilson remix. If it [the SW remixed Rush BD~A] WAS offered separately, I'd surely buy it but really, 4 Vinyl Discs in a space guzzling giant boxset is anathema, at least to ME!

In regards to Farewell To Kings...I understand completely how you feel.... especially with the 4 LP's...but the blu ray version you have is no comparison to the Steven Wilson remix...the Wison mix is WAY better...it's not even close...so why don't you wait until amazon has a warehouse special on that title and grab one then at a greatly reduced price...hang on to one of those gift cards...you might be able to get one in the $60 to $70 range...and to be candid...the blu ray is worth that much...just forget about all the other stuff...EXCEPT for the

RING you too can become KING in your realm

15. Thanks fredblue, rtbluray thanked for this post
    Likes fredblue, rtbluray, marpow, edisonbaggins liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12