audioholics article - history of surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quadtrade

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
Has this link ever been posted? Quite a good write up about the history of Jim Fosgate and the toys he developed.

http://www.audioholics.com/audio-technologies/surround-sound-upmixer

a few lines

[FONT=&quot]A year into my new career, a rep brought in an array of electronic components from a small company known as Audionics of Oregon. There were three components; the BT-2 preamp, the CC-2 power amp, and a peculiar piece with the esoteric moniker “Space & Image Composer.” While glancing at the front panel, I noticed an SQ control, and my eyes lit up: Quad![/FONT][FONT=&quot]Quad was about dead by this time (1980), but this interesting device did something far better than decode SQ. It could generate four discrete channels from any two-channel source, and the effect was dramatic. Every record (or soon, CD) in one’s collection was now 4-channel. I sold almost two dozen systems using the Space & Image Composer with accompanying Audionics amps and a preamp, to the delight of my customers. All of them ran out to buy “Dark Side of the Moon” and “Crime of the Century.”[/FONT]

Thanks,

It 's nice to know that Jim Fosgate was finally recognized for his developments.

That he finally received some form of financial success for his work with the vastly improved SQ decoding and his later improvements of Dolby decoding is well deserved.

Back