Some advice for American eBay sellers.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadzilla

Exiled QQ Veteran
Since 2002/2003
Using eBay's 'Global Shipping Program' will virtually ensure that nobody outside of the USA will buy your item. There, I said it. The international shipping rates that eBay's calculator give are insane enough. Adding these so-called 'Import Charges' to the shipping cost will double or triple these already outrageous charges. While it might seem like it is a hassle to fill out customs forms for Canadian (and other countries) shipments, there is nothing to it. If you are tempted to take the easy way out and use the 'Global Shipping Program', please do everyone a favour and just don't offer International shipping. That way your ads won't clog up the search listings with items that are only going to be purchased by domestic buyers. Rant over. Thanks for listening.

Using eBay's 'Global Shipping Program' will virtually ensure that nobody outside of the USA will buy your item.

Unfortunately, i have to agree 101% with you. It is a BIG pita even for inside Europe...

Ditto here, where they have screwed me over so many times...sometimes charging me almost 100% of the total of BOTH the ITEM and the SHIPPING (cause Customs here sees the shipping as another "product"...isn't that NICE????....

BUT, for cheap CDs and books that cost lesss than $25 it's still up there...AND , as a customer, you get the PPal insurance (as a seller, you're screwed! That's why I always include shipping proof of delivery-you never know now who you're dealing with, the number of psychos has increased lately... )
As it is, I haven't sold ANYTHING there in a LONG time...

well, fleabay had a nice long run....but it'll never be the same...

Using eBay's 'Global Shipping Program' will virtually ensure that nobody outside of the USA will buy your item. There, I said it. The international shipping rates that eBay's calculator give are insane enough. Adding these so-called 'Import Charges' to the shipping cost will double or triple these already outrageous charges. While it might seem like it is a hassle to fill out customs forms for Canadian (and other countries) shipments, there is nothing to it. If you are tempted to take the easy way out and use the 'Global Shipping Program', please do everyone a favour and just don't offer International shipping. That way your ads won't clog up the search listings with items that are only going to be purchased by domestic buyers. Rant over. Thanks for listening.

I totally agree, it's ('Global Shipping Program') a scam by Pitney Bowes and eBay. It's bound to be more expensive as the item gets shipped twice, first to Pitney Bowes and then to the customer. They do collect taxes and duties (if applicable), but when items are shipped directly by mail to Canada from the US rarely are any taxes collected by the post office (duties were removed by the FTA and NAFTA, some time ago). This service is pushed on sellers who believe that it's a hassle to ship internationally otherwise, but it is not difficult at all.
Also a lot of US sellers like to ship by UPS, but that is the worst way to ship to Canada, unless the UPS policy has changed they used to collect sales tax as well as an additional $50 fee on top!
I do occasionally purchase from sellers that use the Global Shipping Program, but I have to be getting a very good deal, have to factor in the extra cost. I've actually on occasion paid more for shipping than was paid for the item!
Why is it that I can purchase items from China with free shipping. If I were to ship the same item back to China it would cost me much more than the price I had originally paid! The only drawback is it usually takes well over a month to get your item.
Their are at least a couple US sellers offering free shipping on CD's from the US to Canada kudos to them, I'll chose you first!

Why is it that I can purchase items from China with free shipping.

The Communistic Chinese government Subsidizes shipping for any Chinese shipper.

When an item is sold from within China to anywhere outside China, the seller can request reimbursement from the Chinese government (and will receive it). That is a Tenent of Communism after all.

The Chinese government will reimburse the Chinese shipper because the other Countries like the US are actually reimbursing the Chinese government because China has "Favored Nation Status" because they are considered a "Developing Nation" under UN laws and US Shipping laws.

It's why China will rule the world of ecommerce very shortly unless Everyone one of us does something to stop it like write to our representatives to get this crazy law changed.

Last edited:

When an item is sold from within China to anywhere outside China, the seller can request reimbursement from the Chinese government (and will receive it). That is a Tenent of Communism after all.

The Chinese government will reimburse the Chinese shipper because the other Countries like the US are actually reimbursing the Chinese government because China has "Favored Nation Status" because they are considered a "Developing Nation" under UN laws and US Shipping laws.

It's why China will rule the world of ecommerce very shortly unless Everyone one of us does something to stop it like write to our representatives to get this crazy law changed.

This thread is about eBay's 'Global Shipping Program' scam, but OK ... DAMN RIGHT, let's take those godless commies down! ... or you could just not buy from them if you object to their politics. :smokin

The funny thing is that whenever I have something for sale (here or elsewhere) on the Internet, a significant percentage of 'buyers' demand free shipping (even though I get no such subsidy) ... and I am not Chinese. :mad:@:

How does Amazon US compare, especially in terms of amazon-fulfilled versus of seller-fulfilled (where I believe the cost is USD 15 for most media), for buyers outside the USA? I find that for media, Amazon's listing model is superior because it centralizes all the listings and makes them easier to find and track.

I don't sell much via eBay, but when I do it's almost always using Global Shipping...but it's usually a case where I'd only list within the USA because of cheap media shipping, but I'll put Global Shipping as an option because it's the same ease to me. I have found that people don't choose Global Shipping all that often, but it certainly happens.

Both of them take a decent chunk of the sale, of course. But given that it's not a primary job, efficiency is important.

Th absolute last thing China is, is communist. This is a capitalistic dictatorship. And i just avoid shipping from china by just searching for north american items. I am sure the people of China are fine for the most part, but the government is so repressive, it behooves me to just avoid the place whenever possible. That is possible on ebay. I would rather pay another dollar to get it from someone here importing the item. You vote with dollars sometimes. And put tarriffs on this shit so we can start making it here again. Yes it may cost more but when things are made here, people also make more. There is a hell of a lot more value in manufacturing than serving coffee, which seems to be what is left for many people.

Th absolute last thing China is, is communist. This is a capitalistic dictatorship.

wikipedia begs to differ

wikipedia said:
China, officially the People's Republic of China (PRC), is a unitary sovereign state in East Asia. With a population of over 1.381 billion, it is the world's most populous country.[15] The state is governed by the Communist Party of China...

Love your avatar, Quadtrade![/QUOTE

Grew up in Illinois and i remember shoveling the driveway to play bball many times. Great time of year!!!

can't find a better oregon pic than that one

scary yesterday, really good defensive Rhode Island team. Ducks did not play well but still won. Michigan thursday, and i think that one is easier, they don't play that rough ball stuff like RI
gotta play better, all these teams are good. Brooks needs to be a MF

Back