Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  20

Thread: Some advice for American eBay sellers.

Level
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 126
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassSocial
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Some advice for American eBay sellers.

Using eBay's 'Global Shipping Program' will virtually ensure that nobody outside of the USA will buy your item. There, I said it. The international shipping rates that eBay's calculator give are insane enough. Adding these so-called 'Import Charges' to the shipping cost will double or triple these already outrageous charges. While it might seem like it is a hassle to fill out customs forms for Canadian (and other countries) shipments, there is nothing to it. If you are tempted to take the easy way out and use the 'Global Shipping Program', please do everyone a favour and just don't offer International shipping. That way your ads won't clog up the search listings with items that are only going to be purchased by domestic buyers. Rant over. Thanks for listening.

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star winopener's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Some advice for American eBay sellers.

Quote Originally Posted by Quadzilla View Post
    Using eBay's 'Global Shipping Program' will virtually ensure that nobody outside of the USA will buy your item.
    Unfortunately, i have to agree 101% with you. It is a BIG pita even for inside Europe...

3. Thanks kap'n krunch thanked for this post
    Likes kap'n krunch, Snood liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree
    In one o' dose TOP SECRET LABMO-TORIES de gubbnint keep stashed away underneath Virginia, de gubbnint set to woikn' on a plot fo de systematic GENOCIDICAL REMOVE'LANCE of all unwanted highly-rhythmic individj'lls an' sissy-boys! De done whiffed up a secret POTIUM deh jes' mights be de FINAL SOLUTION

5. Likes kap'n krunch, Snood liked this post
    organ of Corti junkie kap'n krunch's Avatar
    Some country where you can't criticize the govt.
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Blog entryOverdrive50000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Ditto here, where they have screwed me over so many times...sometimes charging me almost 100% of the total of BOTH the ITEM and the SHIPPING (cause Customs here sees the shipping as another "product"...isn't that NICE????....

BUT, for cheap CDs and books that cost lesss than $25 it's still up there...AND , as a customer, you get the PPal insurance (as a seller, you're screwed! That's why I always include shipping proof of delivery-you never know now who you're dealing with, the number of psychos has increased lately... )
    As it is, I haven't sold ANYTHING there in a LONG time...

well, fleabay had a nice long run....but it'll never be the same...
    Avatar: a Goddess...Capucine -...The Ice Queen
    -------------------------------------
    "LIFE is NOT in Stereo , it's in SURROUND, so why limit your music to stereo...? By that same train of thought we should've stayed in MONO..." -Me

7. Thanks Snood thanked for this post
    Likes Snood liked this post
    400 Club - QQ All Star Neb-Maat-Re's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 57
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, you get another vote here.

The rates are laughable.

9. Likes Snood liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 194
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quadzilla View Post
    Using eBay's 'Global Shipping Program' will virtually ensure that nobody outside of the USA will buy your item. There, I said it. The international shipping rates that eBay's calculator give are insane enough. Adding these so-called 'Import Charges' to the shipping cost will double or triple these already outrageous charges. While it might seem like it is a hassle to fill out customs forms for Canadian (and other countries) shipments, there is nothing to it. If you are tempted to take the easy way out and use the 'Global Shipping Program', please do everyone a favour and just don't offer International shipping. That way your ads won't clog up the search listings with items that are only going to be purchased by domestic buyers. Rant over. Thanks for listening.
    I totally agree, it's ('Global Shipping Program') a scam by Pitney Bowes and eBay. It's bound to be more expensive as the item gets shipped twice, first to Pitney Bowes and then to the customer. They do collect taxes and duties (if applicable), but when items are shipped directly by mail to Canada from the US rarely are any taxes collected by the post office (duties were removed by the FTA and NAFTA, some time ago). This service is pushed on sellers who believe that it's a hassle to ship internationally otherwise, but it is not difficult at all.
    Also a lot of US sellers like to ship by UPS, but that is the worst way to ship to Canada, unless the UPS policy has changed they used to collect sales tax as well as an additional $50 fee on top!
    I do occasionally purchase from sellers that use the Global Shipping Program, but I have to be getting a very good deal, have to factor in the extra cost. I've actually on occasion paid more for shipping than was paid for the item!
    Why is it that I can purchase items from China with free shipping. If I were to ship the same item back to China it would cost me much more than the price I had originally paid! The only drawback is it usually takes well over a month to get your item.
    Their are at least a couple US sellers offering free shipping on CD's from the US to Canada kudos to them, I'll chose you first!

11. Thanks Snood thanked for this post
    Likes Snood liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by par4ken View Post
    Why is it that I can purchase items from China with free shipping.
    The Communistic Chinese government Subsidizes shipping for any Chinese shipper.

When an item is sold from within China to anywhere outside China, the seller can request reimbursement from the Chinese government (and will receive it). That is a Tenent of Communism after all.

The Chinese government will reimburse the Chinese shipper because the other Countries like the US are actually reimbursing the Chinese government because China has "Favored Nation Status" because they are considered a "Developing Nation" under UN laws and US Shipping laws.

It's why China will rule the world of ecommerce very shortly unless Everyone one of us does something to stop it like write to our representatives to get this crazy law changed.
    Last edited by salsdali; 03-17-2017 at 09:48 AM.

13. Likes holland123 liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 126
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassSocial
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by salsdali View Post

When an item is sold from within China to anywhere outside China, the seller can request reimbursement from the Chinese government (and will receive it). That is a Tenent of Communism after all.

The Chinese government will reimburse the Chinese shipper because the other Countries like the US are actually reimbursing the Chinese government because China has "Favored Nation Status" because they are considered a "Developing Nation" under UN laws and US Shipping laws.

It's why China will rule the world of ecommerce very shortly unless Everyone one of us does something to stop it like write to our representatives to get this crazy law changed.
    This thread is about eBay's 'Global Shipping Program' scam, but OK ... DAMN RIGHT, let's take those godless commies down! ... or you could just not buy from them if you object to their politics.

The funny thing is that whenever I have something for sale (here or elsewhere) on the Internet, a significant percentage of 'buyers' demand free shipping (even though I get no such subsidy) ... and I am not Chinese.

300 Club - QQ All Star
    Level
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

How does Amazon US compare, especially in terms of amazon-fulfilled versus of seller-fulfilled (where I believe the cost is USD 15 for most media), for buyers outside the USA? I find that for media, Amazon's listing model is superior because it centralizes all the listings and makes them easier to find and track.

I don't sell much via eBay, but when I do it's almost always using Global Shipping...but it's usually a case where I'd only list within the USA because of cheap media shipping, but I'll put Global Shipping as an option because it's the same ease to me. I have found that people don't choose Global Shipping all that often, but it certainly happens.

Both of them take a decent chunk of the sale, of course. But given that it's not a primary job, efficiency is important.

Original "QQ" Founder quadtrade's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 533
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial25000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Th absolute last thing China is, is communist. This is a capitalistic dictatorship. And i just avoid shipping from china by just searching for north american items. I am sure the people of China are fine for the most part, but the government is so repressive, it behooves me to just avoid the place whenever possible. That is possible on ebay. I would rather pay another dollar to get it from someone here importing the item. You vote with dollars sometimes. And put tarriffs on this shit so we can start making it here again. Yes it may cost more but when things are made here, people also make more. There is a hell of a lot more value in manufacturing than serving coffee, which seems to be what is left for many people.

fuck tRUMP

17. Likes Snood liked this post
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star skherbeck's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entrySocial1 year registered
    Post Thanks / Like

Love your avatar, Quadtrade!
    "One Quad to rule them all, One Quad to find them; One Quad to bring them all and in the darkness bind them."
    "The Quad is what gives a Sound System its power. It's a sound field created by four pulsing speakers that surrounds us and penetrates us."

19. Likes kap'n krunch, Snood liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Post Thanks / Like

ok, I'm changing my shipping arrangements - thanks for the information!
    Mike Lynch (mlrocker) aka ENOCH the RAD - maker of the best DIY underground acid quad reels on the planet

21. Likes Snood liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by quadtrade View Post
    Th absolute last thing China is, is communist. This is a capitalistic dictatorship.
    wikipedia begs to differ

Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    China, officially the People's Republic of China (PRC), is a unitary sovereign state in East Asia. With a population of over 1.381 billion, it is the world's most populous country.[15] The state is governed by the Communist Party of China...

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=skherbeck;329469]Love your avatar, Quadtrade![/QUOTE

Grew up in Illinois and i remember shoveling the driveway to play bball many times. Great time of year!!!

can't find a better oregon pic than that one

scary yesterday, really good defensive Rhode Island team. Ducks did not play well but still won. Michigan thursday, and i think that one is easier, they don't play that rough ball stuff like RI
    gotta play better, all these teams are good. Brooks needs to be a MF
    fuck tRUMP

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

wikipedia begs to differ
    And who writes that silliness. If you take that as word, got swamps to sell ya.
    fuck tRUMP