First home made quad 8 track.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arnold_layne

300 Club - QQ All-Star
A few days ago I hooked up my Akai CR80DSS to the multi-channel analog inputs of my HT receiver. OK, check, got quadraphonic playback no problem. So what about making some quad tapes?

The deck can record on standard stereo 8 tracks in 4 channel mode, so any blank will do. I have a bunch of lightly used realistic 80mins.

Now how do I get music onto it? Well my Oppo BDP-103 BD/DVD/SACD/CD player has analog outputs. One of the undocumented and recently discovered advantages of this player is it's ability to rip the DSD layer of SACD's. And I have a handful of Audio Fidelity SACD's that contain original quad mixes. These have no center or sub bass channels which are just silent. Since I already made rips when I discovered the hack, I extracted the iso's to dff files and loaded them onto a thumb drive. This comprised "side one". Side two I used audio from Blu Ray audio and reel to reel transfers I had converted to Flac.

The final track list:

Program A:

The Doors - Riders On The Storm (From The best of the Doors SACD)
The Guess Who - No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature (from The Best of the Guess Who SACD)
Bread - Mother Freedom (From The Best of Bread SACD)
Sly and the Family Stone - Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Again) (From Sly and the Family Stone Greatest Hits SACD)

Program B:

Pink Floyd - Money (Audio ripped from The Dark Side Of The Moon Immersion Set Blu Ray)
ZZ- Top - La Grange (From a digital transfer of the Tres Hombre Reel to Reel release)
Black Sabbath - Paranoid (From a digital transfer of the Paranoid Reel to Reel release)
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (Audio ripped from Wish You Were Here Immersion set Blu Ray)

I bulk erased the tape and played though and entire program before making the recording. The results were better than I expected.

Picture of the Akai playing a Q8:

15179021_10207920528467705_7279249833076354968_n.jpg

A few days ago I hooked up my Akai CR80DSS to the multi-channel analog inputs of my HT receiver. OK, check, got quadraphonic playback no problem. So what about making some quad tapes?

The deck can record on standard stereo 8 tracks in 4 channel mode, so any blank will do. I have a bunch of lightly used realistic 80mins.

Now how do I get music onto it? Well my Oppo BDP-103 BD/DVD/SACD/CD player has analog outputs. One of the undocumented and recently discovered advantages of this player is it's ability to rip the DSD layer of SACD's. And I have a handful of Audio Fidelity SACD's that contain original quad mixes. These have no center or sub bass channels which are just silent. Since I already made rips when I discovered the hack, I extracted the iso's to dff files and loaded them onto a thumb drive. This comprised "side one". Side two I used audio from Blu Ray audio and reel to reel transfers I had converted to Flac.

The final track list:

Program A:

The Doors - Riders On The Storm (From The best of the Doors SACD)
The Guess Who - No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature (from The Best of the Guess Who SACD)
Bread - Mother Freedom (From The Best of Bread SACD)
Sly and the Family Stone - Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Again) (From Sly and the Family Stone Greatest Hits SACD)

Program B:

Pink Floyd - Money (Audio ripped from The Dark Side Of The Moon Immersion Set Blu Ray)
ZZ- Top - La Grange (From a digital transfer of the Tres Hombre Reel to Reel release)
Black Sabbath - Paranoid (From a digital transfer of the Paranoid Reel to Reel release)
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (Audio ripped from Wish You Were Here Immersion set Blu Ray)

I bulk erased the tape and played though and entire program before making the recording. The results were better than I expected.

Picture of the Akai playing a Q8:

15179021_10207920528467705_7279249833076354968_n.jpg

Nice deck, but I would use it for playing back rare Q8 content - too many other better ways to record quad and playback said quad. How are the heads holding up?

Last edited:
I've used my Akai 80-SS to record the discrete version of Dark Side of the Moon onto the US Q8 cartridge - in the order it appears on the cartridge.

Took a few tries to get it right, but my Akai began to develop the "crackle-during-recording" symptoms so couldn't continue. I'm considering sending my Technics Quad deck to Barry for restoration. Maybe if it can play a consistent speed, I'll use it for recording.

I've used my Akai 80-SS to record the discrete version of Dark Side of the Moon onto the US Q8 cartridge - in the order it appears on the cartridge.

Took a few tries to get it right, but my Akai began to develop the "crackle-during-recording" symptoms so couldn't continue. I'm considering sending my Technics Quad deck to Barry for restoration. Maybe if it can play a consistent speed, I'll use it for recording.

So far my 80DSS hasn't done this. The one I use was in great shape when I bought it used. It appears that's been maintained but hardly used at all. I know eventually the head will crap out and that'll be the end of it. I also have a Technics quad recorder, but like yours it needs restoration. Not sure if Barry even has time any more as he's been focusing on classic car radios more lately.

So far my 80DSS hasn't done this. The one I use was in great shape when I bought it used. It appears that's been maintained but hardly used at all. I know eventually the head will crap out and that'll be the end of it. I also have a Technics quad recorder, but like yours it needs restoration. Not sure if Barry even has time any more as he's been focusing on classic car radios more lately.

I don't know that the head will crap out, on my Akai (think it's the same model) the head is glass-ferrite and doesn't wear. I had to buff it in several steps to get rid of the crackles in PB, but no groove cut into it!

I don't know that the head will crap out, on my Akai (think it's the same model) the head is glass-ferrite and doesn't wear. I had to buff it in several steps to get rid of the crackles in PB, but no groove cut into it!

What's your process for buffing? I've heard of this being done but too much of a scardy-cat to try it myself.

What's your process for buffing? I've heard of this being done but too much of a scardy-cat to try it myself.

Disclaimer: I made this up myself,I saw no visible damage, and it worked, but YMMV. I got the thing used and first I had noise on one channel with it running without a tape. An IC took care of it. Then I had the intermittent crackle only when playing a tape. Still haven't tried recording, but I cleaned the R/P switch while I had it open.

Have about 40 cotton swabs with long wooden handles on hand. For some of it I held one with hemostats. Start with Flitz metal polish only, some other similar looking products like Maas feel too abrasive. Polish, wipe clean, swab with 98% alcohol, wipe clean. Then Novus #2, same procedure. Get all the residue off around the edges too, a last cleaning with alcohol, dry, and air dry. Try it out. Any remaining crackles try it again. I had it out of the case so I could get some leverage, might not work trying it from the front. I went side to side with the swabs.

It worked for mine. I had already checked for continuity between the head housing and chassis ground. Now, I had the same sound on a portable Stereo 8 and buffing seemed to make it worse, what happened was I hadn't checked for the head housing being grounded and it was being done with a wire just sandwiched between the head and the nylon support that had split. The head is still held well enough to play OK, and I didn't want to risk frying it with soldering to it, so had some silver ink and gopped it around the wire on the side of the head. It dried without sticking so put a drop of CA superglue on it. No more crackles there either!

interesting, I thought you could only record quad to the notched 8 tracks cartridges. Will these cartridges play quad on other players then? I thought about doing Q8s in my work, but figured the blanks would be very hard to come by.

interesting, I thought you could only record quad to the notched 8 tracks cartridges. Will these cartridges play quad on other players then? I thought about doing Q8s in my work, but figured the blanks would be very hard to come by.

Most Q8 recorders require the notched tapes. Blank Q8s (with the notch) were available, but yes I would think there are not many around today.

And yes, a four channel recording to a notched blank quadraphonic 8-track tape will play in quad on another Q8 player through a four channel playback system.

Edit: Even if it is possible to record in 4ch to an un-notched cartridge with some Q8 recorder, it would be recognized as a stereo tape by Q8 players that the handful of fanatics and archivists have/had.

A very long time ago, I had a Wollensak 8080 Quad unit
In those days it was state of the art. Now its state of the ark! Is it worth anything today?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back