Ripping Blu-ray or DVD Movies

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
If there is already a thread for this, I apologize....
So, how different is ripping a complete movie as compared to a DVD-Audio music disc? I'm clueless....
Is it just as easy, or way more complicated? Same programs I use to rip music can be used to rip movies??

Thanks all. I do have some older music DVD that might be nice to have on the NAS. Also, a box set (DVD) of Gilligan's Island would be fun on the NAS.

Comments wanted!

:)

If there is already a thread for this, I apologize....
So, how different is ripping a complete movie as compared to a DVD-Audio music disc? I'm clueless....
Is it just as easy, or way more complicated? Same programs I use to rip music can be used to rip movies??

Thanks all. I do have some older music DVD that might be nice to have on the NAS. Also, a box set (DVD) of Gilligan's Island would be fun on the NAS.

Comments wanted!

:)

MakeMKV

DVD Fab is faster than MakeMKV but its more expensive. MakeMKV is free, at least for a while.

Either way I'd recommend outputting as MKV format as the chapter information can be retained. You will also get to choose what audio tracks to include with the video. I only ever choose the highest resolution lossless MCH track then on playback it plays that track.

For music concerts mkv allows you to split the concert into individual chapter files (usually each song) to easily play a song.

My Music Media Helper app for Windows will allow you to split MKVs into chapters or add chapters to MKVs without chapters and semi-automatically rename the chapter files to their corresponding song names.

There's also some tools for creating playlists for music videos (and audio only too) that may be useful.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...per-(useful-tools-for-Music-Videos-and-Audio)

I have DVD Fab Passkey, but I assume that's something different.

Unless I am badly mistaken, DVD Fab Passkey is only a decrypter. You have to pay extra for the burner and all the other stuff.

Passkey is very useful if not essential when ripping items using DVD Audio Extractor or Audiomuxer. However, it needs to be turned off when ripping with MakeMKV as MakeMKV has its own decrypter and the two would conflict and cause problems (MakeMKV warns you about this).

Reading this thread begs the question on what program is used to tag ripped movies?

If you are using Kodi then it reads small text files (xml saved with '.nfo' file extension) that contains all sorts of release metadata (year, director, plot, actors...) based on the movie name (the file name)

Luckily there are a number of software tools that auto create the NFO files by scrapping various movie database websites to get all that data and also auto downloads movie posters/release covers, fan art and actor photos that all show up in Kodi while navigating through your movie collection.

I use Ember Media Manager (free Windows only). MediaElch is also free/donation ware which runs on Windows, Mac and Linux too. I dont use that for movies but do for my audio artist and album metadata as it auto downloads artist fanart and album covers/disc labels. Both these programs also do TV Series too.

As long as your movies/TV Series files are named exactly same as the movie title or TV Series the scrapping finds the data very accurately. Example file name: 'The Sixth Sense (2006).mkv' - by including the year then if there is multiple movies with same name this specifies the exact year of release.

As far as A/V file playback, I use Kodi for absolutely everything, except for SACD ISO files, which I play with Foobar. :)

As far as A/V file playback, I use Kodi for absolutely everything, except for SACD ISO files, which I play with Foobar. :)

Thats why I convert my SACDs to FLAC (at 24/88.2) so everything can be played on Kodi using my Denon AVR on 7.2 B&W speakers using an iPad as remote. No PC required. (I think latest Kodi versions will now play DSF files from SACD too but have tried - I'm in no hurry to reconvert to DSF).

Back