DVD/DTS Poll Jethro Tull - STAND UP [DTS DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Jethro Tull - STAND UP

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 5.1 DVD release of the classic Jethro Tull album, 'Stand Up' (The Elevated Edition) (n):phones(y)

tull stand up.jpg

A definite 10. If this had been a recording of nothing more than Glenn's bass on Bouree, THAT ALONE would be worth the 10. Glenn's bass work is solid throughout. R.I.P. Glenn.

Bouree has always been my favorite track on this album. I love hearing it in surround. My other fav's are Nothing Is Easy, We Used To Know (the main chord pattern reminds of a song that some L.A. Cowboys would release 7 years later) and For A Thousand Mothers (which with its alternating times of 3/4 & 6/8 sounds like it could have been a part of Thick As A Brick).

It is also great having Living In The Past in surround. Always loved this song because it was in 5/4, and once again, fantastic bass.

Songs that sound like they span This Was through Thick As A Brick, excellent musicianship and great surround make this a 10. :music

I'm voting a '9' on this one!

Vote Breakdown:

Content (Music): 3/3
Surround Mix: 3/3
Fidelity: 3/3
High-Res Disc: 0/1

:)

Very enjoyable, but so different in approach to most of the recent SW remixes. I guess that's not surprising for an album of this vintage. The music stands up well to the new treatment (sorry!) with tracks like Jeffrey Goes to Leicester Square sounding much fresher. Bourée, We Used to Know and Back to the Family are really involving. However, on my system A New Day Yesterday sounds unbalanced with the centre channel vocal far too quiet, anyone else noticed this?
Once again the packaging is a triumph. If only we had Blu-ray too! 8/10

Very enjoyable, but so different in approach to most of the recent SW remixes. I guess that's not surprising for an album of this vintage. The music stands up well to the new treatment (sorry!) with tracks like Jeffrey Goes to Leicester Square sounding much fresher. Bourée, We Used to Know and Back to the Family are really involving. However, on my system A New Day Yesterday sounds unbalanced with the centre channel vocal far too quiet, anyone else noticed this? 8/10

Yes, I had thought too that the surround mix of A New Day Yesterday sounds a bit odd for some reason, I need to listen again more closely to try and analyse why. The tracks after that have excellent surround mixes, although I did think that some of the tracks sound left side heavy to me. Overall its another excellent addition to this JT series, amazing packaging, additional tracks in surround, and I love the Stockholm concert. A 9 vote from me.

It's got "three" great bonus tracks in surround and now I don't miss out on Living In The Past in 5.1 and tht includes both the album and title song.
Kinda appreciate the Morgan version of Bouree-good choice.

I love the way Steven mixed the surround in "Back To The Family", very involving surround mix.(y)

For an album ...from 1969 ! ....mixed in surround....this is an amazing release. Well done !!

It gets a 10 for those reasons alone.

Very enjoyable, but so different in approach to most of the recent SW remixes. I guess that's not surprising for an album of this vintage. The music stands up well to the new treatment (sorry!) with tracks like Jeffrey Goes to Leicester Square sounding much fresher. Bourée, We Used to Know and Back to the Family are really involving. However, on my system A New Day Yesterday sounds unbalanced with the centre channel vocal far too quiet, anyone else noticed this?
Once again the packaging is a triumph. If only we had Blu-ray too! 8/10

Yes i posted the same about the vocal on ANDY being a bit buried in the center Ch . Overall the rest are quite good!

With the exception of the lead vocal on A New Day Yesterday being a bit low , this album has never sounded better ! another great job by Mr. Wilson
I Gave IT a 9

I'm giving it an 8
I found the 2.0 mix 96/24 kHz to be even better sounding than the 5.1 mix
This is a great album musically, more rock based than later albums.
The book is the usual very high standard that I enjoy very much. Shame there was only 2 tracks of footage available. They definitely filmed the whole show.

I voted 9.

Shame on me, but I have not heard this album in its entirety before - the only songs known to me was Nothing is Easy, Fat Man and Living in the Past (from different compilations). Now when I have heard it it has become my second favorite by the band (after Aqualung). Very good and varied songs and the three bonus tracks fit like hand in glove.

So why not a 10? Well, first of all, I want all these releases in lossless bluray audio - the DTS 96/24 is very good but still. And maybe silly, but I really appreciate looking at the menus in HiDef also... The other thing that is not perfect to me is the vocal placement in the song Jefferey goes to Leicester Square in 5.1 - seems like Steven Wilson aimed for a "vocal in the middle of all channels" which I do not like and which also is a pretty unusual mixing choice for Steven.

Favorite surround songs:
Nothing is Easy
Bouree (both versions)
Living in the Past

It's also now in the correct section of the forum (Audio-DVD Surround Spotlight Discs as opposed to Hi-Rez Spotlight Discs)

PS I'm voting a '9' on this one!

Vote Breakdown:

Content (Music): 3/3
Surround Mix: 3/3
Fidelity: 3/3
High-Res Disc: 0/1

:)

But it also are in 9624 dts on the DVD; When music comes in 9624 dts on bluray disc, are that different???
I gave a 10; Have always loved that album, and now it sounds even better in SW's 5.1!;)

Seems to me that Steven has nailed this one, sat enjoying being immersed in Tull right now you would not think that bouree would make such a great surround mix with so few instruments.

I don't as a rule give vanilla DVDs a 10 but this one may well qualify

I wasn't familiar with this album, but really glad i got it. The surround mix is super, love it. And the music is better than i was expecting. I vote a 9.

This album always had not only a wonky mix or two but at times seemed confined, even muffled, and until the Mobile Fidelity CD from way back when, it pretty much sounded like crap on most US releases regardless of configuration. But even given a few of the mixes are still wonky, that pales in comparison to the extra separation and detail of all the tracks, really brightening up the sound without compromising the original mix. I ranked this a high '9,' damn close to a ten. And the packaging with extensive notes in small book form is simply wonderful. Add in the extras and you have a superb release.

ED :)

Jethro Tull's best (IMO) and a superb mix by SW. What could be better? Well, that DTS/DVD-V format of course. So it gets a '9'.

Yup - moved here from San Francisco a year ago in search of a quieter life. I really miss the Bay Area record stores though.

• Wow
Reactions: GOS
WOW! SW knocked this outta the park! Just finished my first listen (I'm a couple weeks late to the game...), and it's a phenomenal mix, especially considering the age of the material and limitations at the time. This is one of my favorite JTs, and while this album isn't as dense or layered as later albums, it still lends itself nicely to 5.1.

I do have to say, I came to the same conclusion as a few others that A New Day Yesterday's vocals are way too low in the mix. Otherwise, I have no complaints about the rest of the material (and Living in the Past sounds exquisite!).

Also... For a brief moment I thought I got short-changed on the DVD as I couldn't find it anywhere. I flipped from the front of the book to the back of the book looking for it, only to realize it was tucked away in a little sleeve page thing, instead of a proper plastic holder, like the previous releases... There's probably been some discussion about that here on the quad, but I haven't really been keeping up to date as of late...

I went with a much-deserved 9.

And, not that it really matters, but just thought I'd mention it: Jon's post at the top of the page still says it's a blu-ray (directly above the album image) :)

Back