Jeff Beck Group's "Rough And Ready" On SACD In January 2017

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just received my copy this morning via FedEx, heading for my Oppo now....can't wait.

My copy of Rough and Ready came in this morning via FedEx as well.
Pretty spectacular in SACD Surround Sound.

Another winner from Sony Japan.
A must have for Jeff Beck fans out there! :)

IMG_2869.jpg

Lucky, arrived today with some CD protectors for all those discs I like that come in cardboard sleeves.

View attachment 28363

Lucky, arrived today with some CD protectors for all those discs I like that come in cardboard sleeves.

Like minds think alike, Markie. Although my copy won't be here for some time (was shipped out yesterday from CDJapan), I likewise ordered 2 packs of those antistatic inserts as well as 2 packs of outer resealable protective sleeves for those Mini LP discs (like the ones from MoFi).

Am anxious to hear your review of this mch SACD. Of course, I know in advance that you're going to give it a 10!

I will try to contain myself and write a little here and more on the POLL. NOW my #1 surround disc in my very large stable of surround discs. I happen to know this recording intimately, have seen Jeff Beck 3 times, have all his recordings, and my two most listened being Truth and Rough and Ready, listening now to the stereo layer, whatever, no better than the BluSpec2 that I have.
Japan can do no wrong, from packaging, to mail, to my front door and sound quality, I am a huge fan of Japan releases. Everybody talks about Wilson, Scheiner, etc, but the mix on this disc is over the top to the point I will fight anybody who disagrees, to quote, Thin Lizzy.
For me this 5.1 that I know so intimately and is so great I now can relate to the Prog Rock fans who say they love there new 5.1 release. I am a hard rock/metal fan and this will probably be the best disc of 2017.
More critical listening with pen and paper on the POLL.

I will try to contain myself and write a little here and more on the POLL. NOW my #1 surround disc in my very large stable of surround discs. I happen to know this recording intimately, have seen Jeff Beck 3 times, have all his recordings, and my two most listened being Truth and Rough and Ready, listening now to the stereo layer, whatever, no better than the BluSpec2 that I have.
Japan can do no wrong, from packaging, to mail, to my front door and sound quality, I am a huge fan of Japan releases. Everybody talks about Wilson, Scheiner, etc, but the mix on this disc is over the top to the point I will fight anybody who disagrees, to quote, Thin Lizzy.
For me this 5.1 that I know so intimately and is so great I now can relate to the Prog Rock fans who say they love there new 5.1 release. I am a hard rock/metal fan and this will probably be the best disc of 2017.
More critical listening with pen and paper on the POLL.

It's really better than both "Blow by Blow" and "Wired"?
If so, wow… :yikes

It's really better than both "Blow by Blow" and "Wired"?
If so, wow… :yikes

if I may, while I don't think its better necessarily its equally as good as those two but adopts a different mixing approach (and those two are kinda dissimilar to one another anyway) surround-wise its closer to the "Orange" Jeff Beck Group album Quad that AF reissued on SACD and probably has the most fun Quad mix of all the Jeff Beck Quads.. sounds great in SQ LP form fwiw, better sound than either the Blow By Blow or Wired SQ LPs.. can't wait to hear the SACD (but seeing as CD Japan have only just shipped it today, despite me forking out more for faster shipping option.. I guess I'll get it sometime in the next week or whatever).

if I may, while I don't think its better necessarily its equally as good as those two but adopts a different mixing approach (and those two are kinda dissimilar to one another anyway) surround-wise its closer to the "Orange" Jeff Beck Group album Quad that AF reissued on SACD and probably has the most fun Quad mix of all the Jeff Beck Quads.. sounds great in SQ LP form fwiw, better sound than either the Blow By Blow or Wired SQ LPs.. can't wait to hear the SACD (but seeing as CD Japan have only just shipped it today, despite me forking out more for faster shipping option.. I guess I'll get it sometime in the next week or whatever).
Also, don't forget heavy vocals, unlike Wired and Blow By Blow which are instrumental and rock/jazz fusion, Rough and Ready is Blues/Rock. Jeff's guitar has evolved quite noticeably more than any other guitarist. Keep in mind Rough is album #3 just coming off two vocal albums with Rod Stewart.
I don't think you can just focus on the sonic quality when referring to different Beck albums. As I said earlier my favorite two albums of many are Truth and Rough and Ready, so clearly I like the Jeff Beck vocal discs, but I don't like #4 Jeff Beck Group.
On this R&R if you sit and crank up New Ways/Train Train you will be blown away, Jody, maybe not, Got the Feeling and Situation let them fly loud.
Jeff Beck is easy for me because of my history for him. If you are a newcomer to Beck maybe you might prefer Blow By Blow and Wired?
Finally, I have all the surround Jeff Beck versions and from an audiophile/critical view (please, I don't want to be that person) Rough And Ready surround is just as good and better. The stereo layer which I listened to also is nothing special, it's just what I have heard my whole life. I hope that the listener enjoys the music first, it makes it much easier to love the surround. I have purchased many Prog Rock discs based on this forum and I can tell they are sonic 5.1 or 4.0 gems, but if I really don't like the music, then I don't listen. I listened to Rough And Ready in MCH 4 times last night, loud, and one time stereo, and plan to listen in stereo in the car this morning. I might be a little biased, ya think.

I fell asleep so to speak and didn't notice this new release till now. What's worse, I didn't notice Wired either.

As others have pointed out, AcousticSounds has both for $49.98. They also have a discount you can use for 10% off, and any order over $89 ships free. With the discount, I was just over, so $89.96 for both out the door delivered.
http://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=results&searchtext=beck+multichannel

Can't wait for both of these to arrive. This forum is the best!(y)

Also, don't forget heavy vocals, unlike Wired and Blow By Blow which are instrumental and rock/jazz fusion, Rough and Ready is Blues/Rock. Jeff's guitar has evolved quite noticeably more than any other guitarist. Keep in mind Rough is album #3 just coming off two vocal albums with Rod Stewart.
I don't think you can just focus on the sonic quality when referring to different Beck albums. As I said earlier my favorite two albums of many are Truth and Rough and Ready, so clearly I like the Jeff Beck vocal discs, but I don't like #4 Jeff Beck Group.
On this R&R if you sit and crank up New Ways/Train Train you will be blown away, Jody, maybe not, Got the Feeling and Situation let them fly loud.
Jeff Beck is easy for me because of my history for him. If you are a newcomer to Beck maybe you might prefer Blow By Blow and Wired?
Finally, I have all the surround Jeff Beck versions and from an audiophile/critical view (please, I don't want to be that person) Rough And Ready surround is just as good and better. The stereo layer which I listened to also is nothing special, it's just what I have heard my whole life. I hope that the listener enjoys the music first, it makes it much easier to love the surround. I have purchased many Prog Rock discs based on this forum and I can tell they are sonic 5.1 or 4.0 gems, but if I really don't like the music, then I don't listen. I listened to Rough And Ready in MCH 4 times last night, loud, and one time stereo, and plan to listen in stereo in the car this morning. I might be a little biased, ya think.

Evole is not the right word, it's more of ability. I saw him live,after BxB was released. Immediatly, I could tell he was best in a studio. This was like 1975. He wasn't awful, but because there were no portable audio effects then, you could just tell. Then years later I saw the show at Ronnie Scotts and it was like he had achived his mark, It's either rthat, or he was drunk, or stoned that night! Opening band was Jan Hammer and they were (I hate to say it) better. He has become more acomplished, or sobered up.

Well I was completely sober that night and I was mesmerized by the Jan Hammer band then all of a sudden he stepped onstage I can't describe how he broke the spell that was over me he just didn't fit in what the Jan Hammer band was doing and then he did a bunch of things from Blow by blow and you can tell something was missing I couldn't put my finger on it right away but then I realized it was just the studio what else could it be.

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

Just received Blow by Blow and Jeff Beck Group (Orange album) from CDJapan. Haven't completely listened to both yet, but what I've sampled is mind blowing! My brief sampling indicates an initial preference for BBB's overall sound and mix, but it's early yet. These are very impressive indeed!

I have only listened to this once, last night, but it totally blows the conversion I have away. Super discrete. Can't wait to give it another go later today.

Just received Blow by Blow and Jeff Beck Group (Orange album) from CDJapan. Haven't completely listened to both yet, but what I've sampled is mind blowing! My brief sampling indicates an initial preference for BBB's overall sound and mix, but it's early yet. These are very impressive indeed!

It is mind blowing in 4 Channel SACD Surround Sound.
As are the rest of the Jeff Beck Remastered SACD Series from Sony Japan.

I gave them one of my 3 Writer's Choice Awards for Achievement in Music this year over at Positive Feedback.
Well deserved!

Brian Moura - Writers Choice Award for Jeff Beck Remastered Surround Sound Series.jpg

"The 14th Annual Positive Feedback Writer's Choice Awards for achievements in music during 2017 are now available.
This year, my 3 Writers Choice Awards go to:

1. PrimeSeat and KORG for their On Demand and Live DSD 11.2 MHz Stereo Streaming Service

2. Sony Music Japan International for their excellent Jeff Beck Remastered Surround Sound SACD Series

3. 2xhd Mastering, Resonance Records and Storyville Records for their amazing Analog Tape to Stereo DSD 256 Remastered Series featuring Jazz artists including Duke Ellington, Bill Evans, Louis Armstrong, Teddy Wilson, Les McCann and many more. (The DSD 256 versions of these albums are available from Native DSD Music and Acoustic Sounds)."

https://positive-feedback.com/audio...tive-feedback-writers-choice-awards-for-2017/

So am I wrong or is there no poll page for this title?

Back