Yes 70th Anniversary Hybrid Stereo SACDs from Warner Japan (Feb 2017)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I now own both Japanese SACD, 7" mini LP editions of Yessongs. All packaging, catalog numbers, booklets and quad jacket are exactly the same including ink color in both versions. The new version has a more pale green on the two disc, Atlantic Label. Both OBI strips say all the same wording including "Yes High Vibration SACD".
The only difference is one OBI strip say's 14/8/27 and the 70th anniversary says 17/2/22. There is also a Atlantic 70th sticker on the front of the new stereo SACD.
The copy I purchased along with Big Generator in 2014 was, (both) horrible, the early pressing RBCD, way better.
This version I expected to be the exact same but am happy to say it is more open with a wider soundstage, the rhythm section is not muddled like the 2014 SACD.
I compared the two before I wrote this and I believe I am correct.
I have found nothing in writing to backup my personal experience. Based on what is in my possession the Japanese added this and Big Generator from 2014 to be in addition to the new 5 mini LP's. Only changing the date on the OBI strip.
This leaves me not trusting my A/B test, but I hear what I hear.

So, Mark, is this the improved version?: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/WPCR-17606

I know the YES box set was lambasted when it was first released on SACD.

So, Mark, is this the improved version?: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/WPCR-17606

I know the YES box set was lambasted when it was first released on SACD.

Yes, Ralph, I believe it is. I asked myself, why did I even buy it, but I think I read somewhere that it was a 2017 remaster, which made me think they corrected the horrible DSD transfer, but now I can't find where I read that, maybe Amazon as that is where I purchased, and it was erroneous advertising and they pulled it ?
I think I'll wait on purchasing others until more feed back comes. I have all the SW remixed 5.1 discs so won't be purchasing those SACD titles anyway. Maybe Big Generator and 90125 ?
On disc 1 of Yessongs the drum solo and Wakemans little piano/organ solo sound perfect.
There is no news on the DR list yet. Will have to wait for Ssully to tear everything apart.

Yes, Ralph, I believe it is. I asked myself, why did I even buy it, but I think I read somewhere that it was a 2017 remaster, which made me think they corrected the horrible DSD transfer, but now I can't find where I read that, maybe Amazon as that is where I purchased, and it was erroneous advertising and they pulled it ?
I think I'll wait on purchasing others until more feed back comes. I have all the SW remixed 5.1 discs so won't be purchasing those SACD titles anyway. Maybe Big Generator and 90125 ?
On disc 1 of Yessongs the drum solo and Wakemans little piano/organ solo sound perfect.
There is no news on the DR list yet. Will have to wait for Ssully to tear everything apart.

I suppose the 7x7" packaging is a great indicator it has been 'remastered' but again, CDJapan still erroneously lists it as the 2013 DSD transfer which everyone hated. But I trust YOUR ears and obviously, it has been improved.

Another upcoming SACD I think I'll avoid: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/WPCR-17689

It's based on the 2006 remaster when all the other UPCOMING reissued Doobie SACDs are 2016 DSD remasters*. I think I'll stick with the MoFi Doobie SACDs which sound great unless reviews of the new Warner SACDs are brilliant! REALLY tired of double dipping.

*example: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/WPCR-17685

I now own both Japanese SACD, 7" mini LP editions of Yessongs. All packaging, catalog numbers, booklets and quad jacket are exactly the same including ink color in both versions. The new version has a more pale green on the two disc, Atlantic Label. Both OBI strips say all the same wording including "Yes High Vibration SACD".
The only difference is one OBI strip say's 14/8/27 and the 70th anniversary says 17/2/22. There is also a Atlantic 70th sticker on the front of the new stereo SACD.
The copy I purchased along with Big Generator in 2014 was, (both) horrible, the early pressing RBCD, way better.
This version I expected to be the exact same but am happy to say it is more open with a wider soundstage, the rhythm section is not muddled like the 2014 SACD.
I compared the two before I wrote this and I believe I am correct.
I have found nothing in writing to backup my personal experience. Based on what is in my possession the Japanese added this and Big Generator from 2014 to be in addition to the new 5 mini LP's. Only changing the date on the OBI strip.
This leaves me not trusting my A/B test, but I hear what I hear.

With SACD ripping it's now possible to verify objectively

Back