Thanks Thanks:  67
Likes Likes:  140
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Toto Remasters (with Elliot Scheiner)

Surround Sound Enthusiast JediJoker's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New Toto Remasters (with Elliot Scheiner)

Quote Originally Posted by Don Luciano View Post
    "NO compression was added !!!! NONE. It is full range 192 resolution..."
    Sounds to me like Steve doesn't know what he's talking about. Guaranteed, dynamic range compression has been used during the mastering.
    - JediJoker

2. Thanks rtbluray thanked for this post
    Likes rtbluray, N/A liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

4. Thanks rtbluray, dr. simple, Snood thanked for this post
    Likes Snood liked this post
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star dr. simple's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 98
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by everyday_ffm View Post
    I'm a huge Toto fan, but this is a little too much... I'd really like to hear the "Turn Back" remaster, because I've always thought previous masters sounded horrible.
    "You gotta always remember, the name of the game is 'What does it sound like?' That's always the end result - I don't care if you got 90 tracks. What does it sound like, baby?" - Ray Charles

6. Thanks rtbluray thanked for this post
    Likes rtbluray, keywhiz liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Blog entryCreated Album picturesTagger First Class
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by everyday_ffm View Post
    If this is the only way they are reissuing the 5.1 mix, then it’s a hard pass for me (and I’m sure everyone else feels the same way)
    However, the release date is not until October, so maybe we will find out more about individual releases in the coming months.
    If there’s a single Blu-Ray, CD/Blu-Ray, and/or CD/DVD configuration of “Toto IV”, then I’m in!
    (No lossy Dolby Digital audio allowed)

Surround yourself with the best.

Coming soon in 2018: “Fleetwood Mac” (1975 album); “Heavy Horses” (Jethro Tull); "Brave" (Marillion) "Fish Out Of Water" (Chris Squire) and “ROXY MUSIC”!

8. Thanks skherbeck thanked for this post
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
    Level
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Post Thanks / Like

I would take all those quotes from Steve with a grain of salt...from my prospective...you have a re-issued 5.1(which I already have)..17..count them SEVENTEEN LPs..and 13 CDs..one of which SHOULD be an SACD...this description seem "fuzzy" to me...it says "in stock" but it's a pre-order...getting back to the 5.1...if it's an SACD...why don't they say it is...and if it's not...does that mean a DTS-CD(which seems unlikely to me)....you would need a turntable to buy this set...this is not the kind of set where you can sell off the vinyl easily...it's one thing to buy the Rush set with 4 LPs...but 17...no way...

In this present configuration...this is only for collectors...not music lovers or surround lovers...maybe there will be more combinations available..I couldn't see a blu ray version of Toto IV...because if they were going to do that it would be in this set..and as far as getting some of the other albums with remastered CDs... be careful what you wish for...one constant in this catalog...the more recent the release...the worse the DR is...check these out

Again...it appears to ME that another entity is using the name of ES(like Acura)on his past efforts...there is nothing here for me...

10. Thanks rtbluray, 360 SOUND thanked for this post
    Likes rtbluray, 360 SOUND liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of the surround version of Toto IV...I didn't realize how scarce and pricey it has become...right now there are NONE for sale on Ebay and 1 used copy on discogs for $189 plus shipping...the cheapest I have found was $145 for a used one...since I have a copy it reminds me of another reason I like the physical discs...sometimes they appreciate in value

12. Likes Snood, rtbluray, vegas liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4-earredwonder View Post
    Steve Lukather did have his 1993 album Candyman remixed for 5.1 and released by DTS Entertainment. Love this album.....VERY discrete. Disregard the blurb about it being DVD~Audio. It's NOT.....strictly DTS...but sounds GREAT!

http://www.5point1.com/ROCK-STEVE_LU...DVD_AUDIO.html

Some reviews on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Candyman-Stev...tag=acleint-20
    Well when you posted this...the Candyman DTS was $8.79... now it's $49...

14. Likes Snood, rtbluray, GOS liked this post
    300 Club - QQ All Star
    Level
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 185
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JediJoker View Post
    Sounds to me like Steve doesn't know what he's talking about. Guaranteed, dynamic range compression has been used during the mastering.
    Probably referring to the 24/192 lossless release not being lossy compressed to MP3. Probably doesn't know what people are talking about with regard to DYNAMIC RANGE compression.

16. Likes Snood, rtbluray liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 257
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Eastwood View Post
    Speaking of the surround version of Toto IV...I didn't realize how scarce and pricey it has become...right now there are NONE for sale on Ebay and 1 used copy on discogs for $189 plus shipping...the cheapest I have found was $145 for a used one
    To me, the old SACD is up there with E. Power Biggs' Four Toccatas and The Carpenters' The Singles as one of the biggest rip-off OOP surround discs. Why those three always appear upwards of $120 I'll never know. I've heard all 3 mixes and I wouldn't say any of them are standouts in my vast collection.

I actually snatched up a physical copy of the SACD recently (A generous member here offered it up for $40 on swap meet- again, thank you!)- "Africa" is beautifully done, but evaluating the disc as a whole I doubt I'm alone in thinking this isn't one of ES' best mixes.

You'd think literally ANY reissue configuration could beat paying over $100 for a single-layer SACD...but now I suppose that was wishful thinking. This has to be one of the most laughable box sets I've ever seen- can't see anyone buying this unless they are the biggest Toto nut on the planet. 17 LPs????

The only other box I can think of in this price range was PF's Early Years, which at least contained several albums and several surround mixes.

I don't think I'd pay $500 even for the most "holy grail" surround mix. And to top it off, we don't even know what type of disc it'll be on or whether it's lossless.

159 CD-4 LP, 121 SQ LP, 32 QS LP, 18 Q8, 74 SACD Multichannel, 60 DVD-A, 18 Dualdisc Multichannel, 12 DTS-CD, 12 BD-A

18. Likes Snood, ar surround, holland123 liked this post
    400 Club - QQ All Star
    Level
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 113
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dr. simple View Post
    I'm a huge Toto fan, but this is a little too much... I'd really like to hear the "Turn Back" remaster, because I've always thought previous masters sounded horrible.
    That’s because the mix is horrible. My favorite Toto album, but yet-another remastering isn’t going to help.

20. Likes Snood, dr. simple liked this post
    500 Club - QQ All Star ar surround's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 56
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjcorne View Post
    ...You'd think literally ANY reissue configuration could beat paying over $100 for a single-layer SACD...but now I suppose that was wishful thinking. This has to be one of the most laughable box sets I've ever seen- can't see anyone buying this unless they are the biggest Toto nut on the planet. 17 LPs????...
    I thought it said $49.99 and then I realized it says $499 for a Toto box set!!!! And the only 5.1 is a reissue that will probably be in a lossy format? Absolutely absurd...even for a gazillion LPs. Great musicians these Toto people are indeed, but they are not Led Zepplin. What is the music world coming to?

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Post Thanks / Like

Good news is that the "Toto IV" 5.1 surround mix will be on Blu-Ray in the box set.
    The bad news is that it shares the Blu-Ray with a 1990 live concert from Paris, so it's looking very unlikely that they will make the Blu-Ray available outside of the box set.
    Here's the full press release from Toto's website:
    http://totoofficial.com/2018/02/toto...il-april-10th/

TOTO is pleased to announce the release of their definitive box set: All In via Legacy Recordings (a division of Sony Music). This limited edition release is available beginning today for pre-order here: http://SMARTURL.IT/TOTO40TRIPSBOXSET

This limited edition vinyl All In set will not be made available in retail stores and is only available to purchase until April 10th. All orders will ship this fall.

All In features the following TOTO albums on seventeen LP’s:

Toto, Hydra, Turn Back, IV, Isolation, Fahrenheit, The Seventh One, Kingdom Of Desire (Double LP set), Tambu (Double LP set), Mindfields (Double LP set), Toto XX (Double LP set).

The set also includes a previously unreleased Live In Tokyo EP from their 1980 tour, along with an album titled Old Is New.

The Old Is New LP features ten tracks, seven are previously unreleased along with “Spanish Sea,” “Alone” and “Struck By Lighting” which are featured on the band’s new greatest hits collection 40 Trips Around The Sun. All of the music in the box set was personally remastered by TOTO along with Elliot Scheiner.

A Blu-Ray which includes:

– Live in Paris 1990 Concert
    – Toto IV in 5.1 surround sound

Also included in the box set is an 80-page hardcover book which includes new essays, and previously unseen photos. All box sets will include a numbered 8″x 8″ certificate of authenticity personally signed by the band.

A CD version of the All In box with just the albums will be made available later this year.

TOTO’s brand new Greatest Hits package titled 40 Trips Around The Sun was released last week and is impacting charts all over the world. The band is currently in the middle of an extensive European tour with multiple dates already sold out across Europe. The 40 Trips Around The Sun tour will be the band’s most extensive run in years and is expected to hit the U.S. this summer. More shows will be announced shortly.

Coming soon in 2018: “Fleetwood Mac” (1975 album); “Heavy Horses” (Jethro Tull); "Brave" (Marillion) "Fish Out Of Water" (Chris Squire) and “ROXY MUSIC”!

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's the preorder link for the CD-only version of "All In" on amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B12HM2M/

It appears the Blu-Ray is not in this set.

24. Thanks dr. simple, JediJoker, Snood thanked for this post
    Likes Snood liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 54
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Well,

I got Toto: Toto IV (Multichannel/Stereo) SACD, Toto: Live In Amsterdam - 25th Anniversary (DVD concert), Toto: Live in Poland - 35th Anniversary (Blu-ray concert) "Awesome Sound!!!" and Toto: Greatest Hits - 40 Trips Around The Sun (CD)

Do not need anything else for now and for sure I will never pay $499.00 for a box set to get the blu-ray audio of Toto IV

"That's all I have to say about that"

- Forrest Gump

Regards,
    Sergio Perez-More

Home Theater/Bar

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=sperezmore

Media Collection

http://www.invelos.com/DVDCollection.aspx/sperezmore

26. Thanks rtbluray thanked for this post
    Level
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 394
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

I completely forgot about this. Hmmm...I think I would pay Oh! USD $99 for this deluxe set and Oh! 99 cents for the CD only release. After all, that pricing is more in-line with a celebration of sorts, since we’ve been waiting soooo long...LOL.

In all seriousness, I understand the time it took from some sort of announcement that it was being done to the official announcement but why a delay release time? By the time these sets come out, a lot of their fans could be dead.

28. Likes GOS, Snood, sperezmore liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12