New Toto Remasters (with Elliot Scheiner)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ninecats

800 Club - QQ All-Star
From Steve Lukathers facebook

"Toto Re- mastering ALL Sony records w/ Elliot Schiener at the wheel this week from the RAW UN EQ'd Tapes.
OUR Remasters!
#doneright"

Scheiner, does that mean there is a sliiiight possibility for 5.1?

I'm with you Fred, even without multichannel this is still pretty interesting, I mean finally Elliot can work his magic on the horrific production on Turn Back. I am not keen on Rock Candy, I appreciate their work getting those 80s records out, but the sound is too compressed and generic, fatigue etc.

Unfortunately remastering doesn't sound like remixing. :(

And it would likely take more than just some remastering to work magic on Turn Back. (My favorite Toto album)

does anybody know when was the last time Elliot Scheiner remastered something, or rather remastered something he hadn't remixed into 5.1..?

if ever..!? doesn't mean it can't happen but.. why choose Scheiner, renowned for his surround mixing prowess, to remaster your back catalogue..?

hmm.. I must go to sleep before I give myself a headache overthinking it! :D :confused:

At the very least, Sony should reissue ES' surround mix for "Toto IV" on Blu-Ray, or license it out to Analogue Productions for another Multichannel SACD release.

:)

does anybody know when was the last time Elliot Scheiner remastered something, or rather remastered something he hadn't remixed into 5.1..?

if ever..!? doesn't mean it can't happen but.. why choose Scheiner, renowned for his surround mixing prowess, to remaster your back catalogue..?

hmm.. I must go to sleep before I give myself a headache overthinking it! :D :confused:

Valid questions. It's not like he is unfamiliar with Toto, he produced Tambu and Mindfields. As for his recent masterings I don't know.

Could it be a misunderstandig in the first place, they mean Elliot as mixer and not master engineer? Not likely but it does raise the question...

Aw man :-/

Steve Lukather: WE ARE RE MASTERING NOT REMIXING !!!!!! ( Read what I write haha ) I WILL SAY THAT THE FIRST 2 ALBUMS SOUND LIKE THEY HAVE BEEN RE MIXED.Working on finishing Hydra and then Tunr Back next. WE WILL RE -SHAPRE THE SOUND RADICALLY. UNBELIEVABLE SOUNDS NOW! GAVIN LURSSEN AND ELLIOT SCHEINER + ME, PAICH AND STEVE PORCARO IN THERE PRODUCING. I PROMISE YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!

Valid questions. It's not like he is unfamiliar with Toto, he produced Tambu and Mindfields. As for his recent masterings I don't know.

Could it be a misunderstandig in the first place, they mean Elliot as mixer and not master engineer? Not likely but it does raise the question...

these are strange times..

first Steven Wilson remixes Chicago II into Stereo only..

and now Toto have seemingly coaxed the world's other premiere surround music mixing man around out of retirement to do some.. remasters.. !?

:confused:

all that SHOUTING..!! whaddya reckon we're in for single digit DR jobs.. :eek:

Adam, HAHAHA, maybe Steve L. has same problem as I do while looking down while I type, OOPS and before you know it you forget you just left CAPS LOCK ON FOR THE REST OF THE SENTENCE.

Thats a good one though as all these artists and engineers are getting up there in age, I am personally amazed that many of them still can mix/produce pretty good sounding albums even though their hearing couldn't possibly be totally up to par any more at least that is my experience as I ask someone again to repeat what they just said.

peter

Adam, HAHAHA, maybe Steve L. has same problem as I do while looking down while I type, OOPS and before you know it you forget you just left CAPS LOCK ON FOR THE REST OF THE SENTENCE.

Thats a good one though as all these artists and engineers are getting up there in age, I am personally amazed that many of them still can mix/produce pretty good sounding albums even though their hearing couldn't possibly be totally up to par any more at least that is my experience as I ask someone again to repeat what they just said.

peter

it was a bit cheeky of me.. :eek: ..its his music after all he's at liberty to do what he likes with it afaic, though a part of me wonders if Mr. Scheiner would really put his name to anything LOUD..!? :)

1332457897641_4351444.png

From Lukathers Facebook

Robert Haden: Yes, very likely true, but Tot'o's music is perfect for 5.1 surround mixes....and no one's better than E.S. when it comes to surround sound production.

Steve Lukather: Toto IV has a surround that Elliot did that will be out as well. Never been heard!

Robert Haden: Steve, i already have the surround disc of Toto IV, done by Elliot. So it's a re-issue ?? Would give anything for all Tot'o's albums to be released in surround sound, but i know that's highly unlikely ! ?

Sounds like a re-release! Funny though that he thinks it's never been heard before. But hey, perhaps they're just not keeping track of their releases all that much? I read somewhere else that Lukather, and possibly Toto?, don't care very much about 5.1.

hmm... maybe its a different MCh mix (or different mastering of the same MCh mix on the old SACD).. either way things just got even more interesting! :D

Sounds like a re-release! Funny though that he thinks it's never been heard before. But hey, perhaps they're just not keeping track of their releases all that much? I read somewhere else that Lukather, and possibly Toto?, don't care very much about 5.1.

Steve Lukather did have his 1993 album Candyman remixed for 5.1 and released by DTS Entertainment. Love this album.....VERY discrete. Disregard the blurb about it being DVD~Audio. It's NOT.....strictly DTS...but sounds GREAT!

http://www.5point1.com/ROCK-STEVE_LUKATHER_CANDYMAN_DTS_DVD_AUDIO.html

Some reviews on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Candyman-Ste...s=Steve+Lukather:+Candyman+DTS&tag=acleint-20

Will definitely be cool to have that thing available again. I paid 75 bucks for it, and that was a bargain!

$60 was the price I ended up getting it for (and that includes shipping) but I would love to have it released on Blu-Ray audio!
It's the format of today, and it's much easier to get backups and files from a Blu-Ray than a SACD… ;)

From looking at the Facebook page, it seems that Gavin Lurssen is going to be the mastering guy, and Elliot is overseeing/advising and being the guy with 'magic ears'.
If they come out as good as S. Lukather says they will then that'll be fine by me. There must've been at least some discussion of additional 5.1 - I guess we'll find out eventually...

all that SHOUTING..!! whaddya reckon we're in for single digit DR jobs.. :eek:
From looking at the Facebook page, it seems that Gavin Lurssen is going to be the mastering guy, and Elliot is overseeing/advising and being the guy with 'magic ears'.
Welp, Gavin Lurssen mastered this:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed folder: /Raising Sand
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DR Peak RMS Filename

DR7 -0.20 dB -8.34 dB 01 Rich Woman.wav
DR6 -0.20 dB -7.35 dB 02 Killing The Blues.wav
DR7 -0.25 dB -9.14 dB 03 Sister Rosetta Goes Before Us.wav
DR8 -0.25 dB -10.67 dB 04 Polly Come Home.wav
DR7 -0.25 dB -7.91 dB 05 Gone Gone Gone (Done Moved On).wav
DR8 -0.10 dB -9.39 dB 06 Through The Morning, Through The Night.wav
DR7 -0.20 dB -9.38 dB 07 Please Read The Letter.wav
DR8 -0.20 dB -10.75 dB 08 Trampled Rose.wav
DR7 -0.20 dB -8.98 dB 09 Fortune Teller.wav
DR8 -0.20 dB -9.64 dB 10 Stick With Me Baby.wav
DR7 -0.20 dB -10.22 dB 11 Nothin'.wav
DR6 -0.20 dB -7.86 dB 12 Let Your Loss Be Your Lesson.wav
DR10 -0.30 dB -13.32 dB 13 Your Long Journey.wav

Number of files: 13
Official DR value: DR7
==============================================================================================
And won a Grammy and two TECs for it. Ugh.

Back