And 2017 Grammy nominations for best Surround Sound Album are...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmer

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Best Surround Sound Album

1. Dutilleux: Sur Le Même Accord; Les Citations; Mystère De L'instant & Timbres, Espace, Mouvement
Alexander Lipay & Dmitriy Lipay, surround mix engineers; Dmitriy Lipay, surround mastering engineer; Dmitriy Lipay, surround producer (Ludovic Morlot & Seattle Symphony
Label: Seattle Symphony Media

2. Johnson: Considering Matthew Shepard
Brad Michel, surround mix engineer; Brad Michel, surround mastering engineer; Robina G. Young, surround producer (Craig Hella Johnson & Conspirare)
Label: Harmonia Mundi

3. Maja S.K. Ratkje: And Sing ...
Morten Lindberg, surround mix engineer; Morten Lindberg, surround mastering engineer; Morten Lindberg, surround producer (Maja S.K. Ratkje, Cikada & Oslo Sinfonietta)
Label: 2L (Lindberg Lyd)

4. Primus & The Chocolate Factory (5.1 Surround Sound Edition)
Les Claypool, surround mix engineer; Stephen Marcussen, surround mastering engineer; Les Claypool, surround producer (Primus)
Label: ATO Records

5. Reflections
Morten Lindberg, surround mix engineer; Morten Lindberg, surround mastering engineer; Morten Lindberg, surround producer (Øyvind Gimse, Geir Inge Lotsberg & Trondheimsolistene)
Label: 2L (Lindberg Lyd)

I am not familiar with any of these titles, are you? definitely seems like none of the favorites on this forum is represented at all...

I am familiar with the norwegian label 2L and I consider them to release excellent mixed and sounding recordings, though you need to like that kind of music to enjoy it, of course.

If you ask me, the Grammy nominations for best Surround Sound Album is nothing but a joke.

If you ask me, the Grammy nominations for best Surround Sound Album is nothing but a joke.

It's not a joke to the engineers whom are recognized for their efforts. Although you seem to disagree, sometimes it is nice to be recognized by one's peers.

It's not a joke to the engineers whom are recognized for their efforts. Although you seem to disagree, sometimes it is nice to be recognized by one's peers.

Not to mention the recording engineers and professionals who review all of the Best Surround Sound album nominees before the finalists are selected.

PA
YO
LA
:mad:

same as with everything else....

and, REALLY? OK, I like Primus..but a paltry DD mix from ANY ROCK MIX THIS YEAR???...and it's not like there haven't been ANY EXCELLENT HI REZ ones released this year...
Care to list any???
Nahhh..too obvious...

(EDIT)
BESIDES...there should be at least TWO CATEGORIES (POP/ROCK/JAZZ and CLASSICAL)now that there are a BUNCH of them being released...

I still think that the Berliner Philarmoniker Beethoven Box set should've been nominated....

Not to mention the recording engineers and professionals who review all of the Best Surround Sound album nominees before the finalists are selected.

Is it not disgusting how this award ceremony has been bastardized? Just like football, I used to enjoy both-but now it's so bullshit just about money and who's pretty, and likable for the 20 minute careers they have.:confused:

The truly good artists are ignored, the folks who are professors of music-and master of the instrument they play. Overlooked for whats popular.

Do you seriously think Dutilleux's music is 'popular'?

It is around my house, it is and this is part of a wonderful series. OTOH, has anyone been able to buy this in multichannel? SSM releases only CDs and promises 24/96 download files, if you can find them. Primephonics has a few.

Is it not disgusting how this award ceremony has been bastardized? Just like football, I used to enjoy both-but now it's so bullshit just about money and who's pretty, and likable for the 20 minute careers they have.:confused:

The truly good artists are ignored, the folks who are professors of music-and master of the instrument they play. Overlooked for whats popular.

Hate to break it to you but the Grammys have ALWAYS been nothing more than an advertisement for the music industry - meaning who's hot now and insider crony nonsense. Don't look to the Grammys for validation of who you like.

Last edited:
It is around my house, it is and this is part of a wonderful series. OTOH, has anyone been able to buy this in multichannel? SSM releases only CDs and promises 24/96 download files, if you can find them. Primephonics has a few.

Kal,

I agree with you 100%; Dutilleux is a truly marvelous composer. The Grammy nominated works also appear to be available as part of of the Volumes 1-3 set of Dutilleux's orchestral music available in 5.1 24/96 FLAC for 40.00 Euros from Primephonics. This seems to be the price for all 3 volumes. The Grammy nominated disc is 18.00 Euros but if the rest of the series as good as this one appears to be, then purchasing the whole set of orchestral music would appear to be the way to go. I haven't heard any of these performances myself.

Incidentally, another lovely Dutilleux disc is the ballet Le Loup together with a number of other works available as a 5.0 Bis SACD. This is terrific stuff and these works are otherwise unavailable in surround.

Slightly off topic, have you heard the 5.1 version of Mahler's Tenth (Dausgaard/Seattle Symphony Orchestra) also available on Primephonics? I was thinking of purchasing this and so I would value your opinion if you have heard it.

Jim

Do you seriously think Dutilleux's music is 'popular'?

I don't think that these awards should necessarily depend on whether or not the music is "popular". Although the Dutilleux is likely to be an excellent surround mix and worthy of a nomination, I find it very strange that many other worthy discs were omitted, including several Steven Wilson mixes.

But then this is the Grammy Awards and they often don't make any sense whatsoever.

I agree with you 100%; Dutilleux is a truly marvelous composer. The Grammy nominated works also appear to be available as part of of the Volumes 1-3 set of Dutilleux's orchestral music available in 5.1 24/96 FLAC for 40.00 Euros from Primephonics. This seems to be the price for all 3 volumes. The Grammy nominated disc is 18.00 Euros but if the rest of the series as good as this one appears to be, then purchasing the whole set of orchestral music would appear to be the way to go. I haven't heard any of these performances myself.
I know about that but, when I go there, I see: "This item is currently not available in your country due to licensing restrictions."

Incidentally, another lovely Dutilleux disc is the ballet Le Loup together with a number of other works available as a 5.0 Bis SACD. This is terrific stuff and these works are otherwise unavailable in surround.
I like that one, too.

Slightly off topic, have you heard the 5.1 version of Mahler's Tenth (Dausgaard/Seattle Symphony Orchestra) also available on Primephonics? I was thinking of purchasing this and so I would value your opinion if you have heard it.
I have only heard it briefly and it is a marvelous recording. However, I have not had time to listen through it, so I cannot comment on the performance. I've been reviewing a stereo pair of speakers and not been able to enjoy multichannel for a month. Next week comes soon!

I know about that but, when I go there, I see: "This item is currently not available in your country due to licensing restrictions."

I like that one, too.

I have only heard it briefly and it is a marvelous recording. However, I have not had time to listen through it, so I cannot comment on the performance. I've been reviewing a stereo pair of speakers and not been able to enjoy multichannel for a month. Next week comes soon!

Kal:

FYI, I was able to successfully purchase and download surround FLAC files of both the Dutilleux: Orchestral Music (originally 3 cds) and the Mahler 10 (Dausgaard). Therefore, the licensing restrictions do not apply here in Canada, at least in this case. Perhaps it would be worth another attempt on your part if you haven't done that already; maybe they have been lifted for the U.S as well.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to listen to the downloads until late January or early February when I get back from a month-long trip to warmer climes (it is -19 C. here right now!). I will report back once I have returned and listened to them.

Thank you for your comments. Love your Music in the Round column in Stereophile. It is absolutely my favourite column among all the audio magazines!

Have fun with your multichannel files and discs once next week comes!

Jim

Kal:

FYI, I was able to successfully purchase and download surround FLAC files of both the Dutilleux: Orchestral Music (originally 3 cds) and the Mahler 10 (Dausgaard). Therefore, the licensing restrictions do not apply here in Canada, at least in this case. Perhaps it would be worth another attempt on your part if you haven't done that already; maybe they have been lifted for the U.S as well.
In the past, they have been available to me in the US but lately (including yesterday), it was not. It is not a problem for me because, as a reviewer, I get them directly from SSM but I cannot, in good faith, recommend them to readers in the USA unless they can get them.

Thank you for your comments. Love your Music in the Round column in Stereophile. It is absolutely my favourite column among all the audio magazines!

Have fun with your multichannel files and discs once next week comes!
Thanks. I certainly will.

And the Dutilleux won the Grammy for best surround sound album. Is this the first winner that had no physical media release?

Incidentally, Pentatone's SACD of Corigliano's Ghosts of Versailles won the Grammy for best engineered classical album, but doesn't appear to have even been nominated for best surround sound.

And the Dutilleux won the Grammy for best surround sound album. Is this the first winner that had no physical media release?

Could be. Can't say I follow the Grammy Nominations close enough to know.
But the move to downloads continues, so it likely won't be the last.

Back