Steven Wilson Steven Wilson Interviews

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really enjoyed the very different Beacon show from front row of mezzanine!

Just found an interesting interview with Steven Wilson.(y)

Last edited:
Just found an interesting interview with Steven Wilson.(y)

[video=youtube_share;Kbi1PpfiH4Q]https://youtu.be/Kbi1PpfiH4Q[/video]

A fascinating interview, Vegas. Thanks for sharing.

Dark Side of the Moon and Donna Summer's Love to Love You Baby in the same breath....Whew.

And Steve intimated what I've been saying all along: some of the world's greatest music remains UNRELEASED and resides in the private recesses of its creators.

Good interviews as always with this man that I love very much, but is someone knows why is never wearing some shoes?? It's a serious question and I want a serious answer.

Good interviews as always with this man that I love very much, but is someone knows why is never wearing some shoes?? It's a serious question and I want a serious answer.

Definitely plays live barefoot, off the stage it varies. When I met him at his Insurgentes film premiere in New York City he was wearing blue tennis shoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He has stated (in interviews) that he prefers being barefoot. Is that not enough for you?

http://www.innerviews.org/inner/steven-wilson

Provide a snapshot of your upcoming album remix projects for other artists.

I’ve done virtually nothing during the last year because I’ve been totally focused on To the Bone. I’m catching up on things between promoting the album and the tour next year. I’m very committed to continuing with the XTC remixes. Black Sea was just announced. We’re averaging one a year, which is about right when you consider the amount of work that goes into each of those. They’re really like a box set on a single Blu-ray disc. Andy Partridge puts demos, rehearsal tunes, videos, promotional films, the instrumentals, a flat transfer, and stereo and surround remixes on them. It’s amazing how much stuff is on those. And yet there are people who still feel entitled to more. It’s extraordinary the comments I read about them sometimes.

I’m continuing with Gentle Giant too. We’re about to release Three Piece Suite, including my remixes of material from their first three albums. Ray Shulman from Gentle Giant also authors a lot of my Blu-ray discs. We have this relationship in which he does a job for me and I do a job for them. He authored the To the Bone Blu-ray as a swap for me remixing the tracks for Three Piece Suite. No money changes hands. And I love their music, too, so it’s a great situation. Gentle Giant is perfect for surround. It’s contrapuntal music with a lot of layers. Everyone is playing different parts. I can do a lot with that.

I’m continuing with the Jethro Tull back catalog as time allows. That’s been a very well-received series and a lot of fun to work on because I’m so motivated and supportive of the project. I think the next one will be Heavy Horses and we’ll eventually do the first album at some point.

Marillion’s Misplaced Childhood just came out. That was a tough one because there’s not a lot to work with for a surround mix on that album. The 5.1 mix is nice, but it’s not particularly whiz-bang. It’s a very simply-recorded album. There aren’t any backing vocals or sound design. Most of the time it’s drums, bass, a single guitar line, a single keyboard, and a lead vocal. What could I do with that? Not a lot is the answer. I made it sound nice and a bit more immersive.

I’ve started working on Marillion’s Brave, which is a completely different kettle of fish. There are backing vocals, sound design and all kinds of layers to the music. It’s a very conceptual record that will sound very cinematic in surround.

Do you feel your approach to surround remixing has evolved over time?

I’ve got a bit better at it. I think I hit on the approach people like pretty early on when I did the King Crimson and Porcupine Tree surround discs. They went down very well in the surround sound community. I think it was probably because I was approaching them without any preconceptions of what you should and shouldn’t do in surround. I just did what I felt sounded good to me. I realized later I was doing stuff other people hadn’t really done. I was being very aggressive with the surround elements, including using the center speaker for vocals. People seemed to dig that, so I’ve stuck to my approach ever since.

Several artists now embed your name right into the artwork of the remixed albums. How does that make you feel?

It appeals to my ego. [laughs] It’s nice to see the subtext there, which is my name to some extent has become an indication of a certain level of quality for the surround mixes. There have been plenty of examples of surround mixes that haven’t been done very well and weren’t well received by people who loved those records. For whatever reason, my remixes are seen as something that people can have a degree of confidence in because they’re done sympathetically. It’s flattering to be acknowledged on the artwork or the sticker on the album.

I was pleasantly shocked to see Steven Wilson on BBC Breakfast yesterday.

It's not on iPlayer but some kind soul has put in on YT. Really good interview - it's live and yet he manages to come back with some eloquent yet down to earth answers - which is difficult when you're discussing prog and concept albums. (Makes a change from the usual person's "buy my album/ watch my film/ read my book - it's the best I've ever done" PR fluff.)

No mention of remixes, it was understandably all about his latest album, but still worth watching just to see how thoughtful he is (and of course if you are a fan of his own music).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei1MUSk44j0

I thought you all would be interested to know that Sony approached Steven Wilson a few months back asking him to remix the New York Dolls albums in surround sound, which he turned down saying "It's not the sort of music you want to mix in surround."

(That comes from Prog magazine issue 79, the one with Steven Wilson on the cover.)

I thought you all would be interested to know that Sony approached Steven Wilson a few months back asking him to remix the New York Dolls albums in surround sound, which he turned down saying "It's not the sort of music you want to mix in surround."

(That comes from Prog magazine issue 79, the one with Steven Wilson on the cover.)

At least they asked him. And good for him not doing something he doesn't feel right doing. (Maybe it will still get done by someone else!)

At least they asked him. And good for him not doing something he doesn't feel right doing. (Maybe it will still get done by someone else!)
Alan Parsons seems to indicate he's looking for remix work over on the 'Eye In The Sky' thread.

Sent from my Elephone_P3000S using Tapatalk

I know this is an anathema to this forum, but Steven Wilson is right, there are certain genres\bands that are not conducive to surround.

Back