What do you use for SQ and Modern multichannel playback?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a Pioneer 949 which I had set up in my 'lab' for legacy quad playback. It died a few months ago, and I havent' gotten to attempting to fix it yet. In the meantime, I brought a much more modern Kenwood 5.1 receiver up and have that hooked up. Enjoying the DTS of the Chicago Quadio set. What I'd like to to is to be able to play back both the DTS discs and some old SQ stuff. Anyone here have such a setup? I'd rather not need to have 2 receivers or some kludgy type of speaker switch. Run a decoder thru the preamp and send it into a discrete input somehow? ((I suppose that I could use AA to create discs and store the SQ encoded records away))....

Thanks

--Ed

I had a Pioneer 949 which I had set up in my 'lab' for legacy quad playback. It died a few months ago, and I havent' gotten to attempting to fix it yet. In the meantime, I brought a much more modern Kenwood 5.1 receiver up and have that hooked up. Enjoying the DTS of the Chicago Quadio set. What I'd like to to is to be able to play back both the DTS discs and some old SQ stuff. Anyone here have such a setup? I'd rather not need to have 2 receivers or some kludgy type of speaker switch. Run a decoder thru the preamp and send it into a discrete input somehow? ((I suppose that I could use AA to create discs and store the SQ encoded records away))....

Thanks

--Ed
If you look up Surround Master
You will see many QQ,s have used it and are very happy
Both SQ Vinyl and QS decoding

As mentioned by rustyandi - get a surround master and hook it up by via analog inputs (if the receiver has them)...

I use a RCA switch to switch what input (analog outs off my Oppo) or my LP or Stereo line in input I use into my receiver.

So I can play any modern format on my blur-ray and SQ and QS....sources via LP or from my blu-ray player.

If you look up Surround Master
You will see many QQ,s have used it and are very happy
Both SQ Vinyl and QS decoding

Thanks, I'll take a lok at them !

I have 3 receivers, and only my high end Pioneer has a 4 channel discrete input. Any recommendations on other more reasonably priced ones (new or used)? Since this isn't my main audio setup, I don't need anything too elaborate.

--Ed

Thanks, I'll take a lok at them !

I have 3 receivers, and only my high end Pioneer has a 4 channel discrete input. Any recommendations on other more reasonably priced ones (new or used)? Since this isn't my main audio setup, I don't need anything too elaborate.

--Ed

Every outboard Decoder that you buy
is about 40 years old they range from very poor to very good and if a chip is gone it is junk
But non are better than the Surround master
I am afraid if you want to hear SQ and QS as it should be it is the best
Cheap decoders poor decoding

Every outboard Decoder that you buy
is about 40 years old they range from very poor to very good and if a chip is gone it is junk
But non are better than the Surround master
I am afraid if you want to hear SQ and QS as it should be it is the best
Cheap decoders poor decoding

Sorry!!!! I wasn't referring to the decoder, but to the receiver. It doesn't look like many have 4 channel discrete inputs that I can send the output of the Surround Master into??

Thanks again,

--Ed

Hi. edbar777

Your right that there is less Receiver on the market with Ex. inputs, in the market place most of the top brands had a good range of mid priced receiver but now you`ll most likely only get them in the top of there priced range Receivers, there is the second hand market where you could pick up a bargain..
Bill.

Sorry!!!! I wasn't referring to the decoder, but to the receiver. It doesn't look like many have 4 channel discrete inputs that I can send the output of the Surround Master into??

Thanks again,

--Ed

Back