Mike Oldfield "Return to Ommadawn" CD/DVD release for January 2017!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if there's anything officially there, but I think I see some faces, possibly somebody holding a guitar, and possibly an animal being walked past. Maybe it's just normal cloud watching illusions though. I read that tubular bells are hidden on the cover, but I've not spotted them.

I enjoy listening to this immensely. It is much better than I hoped. The music is great, and the fidelity is very good as is the surround mix. Play loud!

Replaygain lowers it with about 5dB so it leaves enough headroom for dynamics, and like earlier mentioned - some nice bass.

My apologies, I've never used Replaygain. What exactly does it do to the signal? It sounds like it would be equivalent to reducing the volume by 5 dB on the amp. I don't understand how this would change the net dynamics unless it is non-linear.

Thanks!

My apologies, I've never used Replaygain. What exactly does it do to the signal? It sounds like it would be equivalent to reducing the volume by 5 dB on the amp. I don't understand how this would change the net dynamics unless it is non-linear.

Thanks!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReplayGain

In Foobar it tags the file with a value - that alters the volume, after scanning the music file. IMO - a Zero value is great, lots of headroom, -5dB is ok, -10dB is not ok. This is - of course - a part of the loudness-war.

My multichannel discs have values from +5dB to -13dB (Replaygain adjustments) - and I was very tired of have to use the remote all the time - so I use Replaygain on all of my music. At the same time I do get this information of how "hot" the recording is. And usually recordings with more headroom does sound better.

DR (Dynamic Range) is an even better way of showing the quality of a recording, but I don't usually use it. Think every disc should have the DR value written in big letters on the cover!!!!

Btw Foobars DR-meter says 12, not to bad.

Just got my copy yesterday, only 1 listen so far and not on my main system but like what I hear so far, its discreet and a very easy listening pleasant album that Mike O. has put together.
I don't have all his earliest albums but I could hear some very similar playing like Tubular Bells at a few different points.
Look forward to giving this a better spin over the next few days.

peter

If you are a Mike Oldfield fan, and you haven't already bought this album, you should - because Mike should be encouraged to make more music.

That said...

I am a huge Mike Oldfield fan. I've listened to this album several times now - both stereo and 5.1. And after all those listenings, I can't recall a single melody. It definitely sounds like a Mike Oldfield album, but I'm not able to latch on to anything musically. Your mileage may vary (and based on the online comments I've read, the majority of MO fans disagree with me).

J. D.

If you are a Mike Oldfield fan, and you haven't already bought this album, you should - because Mike should be encouraged to make more music.

That said...

I am a huge Mike Oldfield fan. I've listened to this album several times now - both stereo and 5.1. And after all those listenings, I can't recall a single melody. It definitely sounds like a Mike Oldfield album, but I'm not able to latch on to anything musically. Your mileage may vary (and based on the online comments I've read, the majority of MO fans disagree with me).

J. D.

So.....

Do you like it or not? :)

So.....

Do you like it or not? :)

From reading JD's review, I'd guess NOT. I listened to it and it was a pleasant enough affair but it'll hardly be in heavy rotation.

Billy Joel recently appeared on the Late Show with Stephen Colbert and Colbert asked Joel why he hadn't released a single album since the mid nineties. Joel's reply (paraphrased): I basically said it ALL with the 13 albums I did release.

Some of these old rockers should quit while they're ahead. Sometimes when I listen to some of these newer but obscure artists releasing albums in SURROUND I wonder to myself if all the ooh and ahhing from QQ posters has less to do with CONTENT and more to do with the fact the album is in SURROUND.

When a newer artist [or an older, more established one, as well] releases an album remotely comparable to a Days of Future Passed, a White Album, an Exile on Main Street or a Led Zeppelin 1~4 maybe I'll stand up and cheer. But my patience is running out. WHERE IS THE BEEF???????? What we 'seem' to be getting lately are tasteless veggie burgers!

Whatever happened to IMAGINATION?

Is it too, GONE WITH THE WIND?:teleport:

I like it a lot. I prefer it to the original, there's plenty of melody (moreso than the original) and a triumphant feel to the end of Part 2. Great surround mix too.

I enjoy the experience of listening to this album. It's well recorded and the surround mix is pleasantly immersive. It's one I'll keep going back to. The only thing that bugs me are the gratuitous "on horseback" voice clips dropped in at the end, as they draw me out of the new musical flow.

I've had this out of my car for a couple weeks now and can still recall many of the melodies, it's a very memorable album. Had my house to myself a fortnight ago and amidst a few glasses of a Spanish red wine (a monastrell from the Yecla region) I cranked the heck out of Part I. It's really so damned good and that a few months later I'll still put it up there with the other instrumental albums is a great sign for me.

That moment in Part I around the 5 minute mark when it gets very minimalistic and the low drums kick in with the high guitar melody...it's one of my favourite moments in Mike's entire catalogue.

I found the horseback stuff very unlikeable upon first listen, I don't mind it anymore and I find it far less invasive on the 5.1 mix.

Is there to be a Poll to rate this one? I find myself putting this on quite often....5.1 or the CD, great driving music with the top open. Like dobyblue , I find this chock full of memorable melodies. I'd say it is more overtly dramatic music than most of what Oldfield I have heard in the past....all the quad offerings. I would like to place my solid 9 for it.

I'm sure I'm not the first one to notice this, but...

Play the first 2 seconds of Return to Ommadawn Part I, then the first 2 seconds of Sanctuary Part I.

Let the conspiracy theories begin ;-)

Back