Mike Oldfield "Return to Ommadawn" CD/DVD release for January 2017!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Discovery" was improperly labeled. The DVD had the DVD-Audio logo, but sadly it was just DVD-Video, and that holds true for so many discs that Mark Powell supervised over the last two years, including that one but also including the Steve Hackett "Premonitions" box set and the two deluxe Barclay James Harvest releases thus far from Esoteric. (I'm also expecting that "XII" will be mislabeled too…)

So yeah, I'm 97% certain that this release is DVD-Video based on the previous mislabeling examples I have gone through above, and really, if they are not going to go through the trouble authoring a DVDA-V disc (with high-res surround audio) for us, then at least properly label it for what it is! There's already so much confusion between DVD-V and DVDA-V that mislabeling discs like this only adds to the confusion, and it really makes me angry!

(n) :( :mad:

Hmm - I don't own Discovery. :smokin

It's not the best release, but it does have its moments.
The 5.1 DVD is actually called "The 1984 Suite", and it contains tracks from both "Discovery" and "The Killing Fields" soundtrack (which Mike Oldfield also released in 1984)
The first two tracks of the suite ("To France" and "The Lake") are amazing! After that, it gets very uneven.
I would only get it for a cheap price. It's not worth a premium amount.

:)

Do you mean the physical disc itself had the DVD-Audio logo on it?

Has anyone sent a polite note to Mr. Powell? :)

Yes, the physical DVD has the DVD-A logo on it for "Discovery".
I thought about sending him a note, but it probably wouldn't do much good.
He (or anyone else making this mistake) would probably say, "Well the DVD primarily has audio content, so that would mean it is DVD-A, right?"
And it's too complicated to explain the real difference, so every time this happens, I just have to bitch about it on here for a moment, then move on.

;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The physical disc for this one also has the DVD-Audio logo but the person on FB who took a pic of it doesn't have a DVD-Audio player to verify...at least they knew what was being asked!

Yeah that really pisses me off, even though my expectations were very tempered.
False advertising.

I think whomever was responsible for this gaffe needs a polite but sternly worded e-mail advising them that they suck.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Yeah that really pisses me off, even though my expectations were very tempered.
False advertising.

I think whomever was responsible for this gaffe needs a polite but sternly worded e-mail advising them that they suck.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Relax, it could be worse, the Rhapsody Blu Ray Audio literally stops and skips, multiple authoring issues.

I am fine with 24/48 DTS.

Relax, it could be worse, the Rhapsody Blu Ray Audio literally stops and skips, multiple authoring issues.

Both things are inexcusable.
Advertising something incorrectly is inexcusable, and having authoring errors to the point where a disc does not play correctly is also inexcusable.
That's why I appreciate releases that get everything right all the more.

absolutely no problems here with the Rhapsody BRA.
Regarding Mike Oldfield: I never expected this really to be a dvda, so it doesn't bother me too much. Would've been nice, though. Amazon notified me, that my order is on it's way. I'm really looking forward to it - will it be as good as Rob Reed's Sanctuary 2?

absolutely no problems here with the Rhapsody BRA.
Regarding Mike Oldfield: I never expected this really to be a dvda, so it doesn't bother me too much. Would've been nice, though. Amazon notified me, that my order is on it's way. I'm really looking forward to it - will it be as good as Rob Reed's Sanctuary 2?

Please Play track 4 now, it stops. Then play tracks 8, 9, they skip.

I have the official release, plus I have heard a rip from somebody in another country. Both had the EXACT same errors.

RR Sanctuary 2 is brilliant.

I have the official release, plus I have heard a rip from somebody in another country. Both had the EXACT same errors.

At the moment I'm not near to my bluray player, but I will try it as soon as possible and will report. Let me say though, I already listened several times to the complete disc and haven't noticed anything wrong, but I know sometimes I just don't listen carefully enough...

At the moment I'm not near to my bluray player, but I will try it as soon as possible and will report. Let me say though, I already listened several times to the complete disc and haven't noticed anything wrong, but I know sometimes I just don't listen carefully enough...

Okay. If yours is fine, that would mean faults are only on certain copies, that would be even weirder.

Had now the chance to listen carefully to the tracks you mentioned. Track 4 runs smoothly from beginning to end, definitely no skipping on tracks 8&9. So perhaps your disc is faulty. Or can it be your player? I have no idea...

I didn't have high expectations for this album and bought it mainly because of the surround mix (and to support the remixes initiative).
On second listen, I can summarise my feelings saying: it sounds fresh! What a surprise, maybe not as good as the original Ommadawn, but quite close. Best Mike has done since TB2, in my opinion.
The lossy DTS sounds good, with nice clarity specially for the acoustic instruments. I nice a couple more of listens to evaluate the mix but so far: so good. Pleasant surprise!

Well I'm not used to hi rez Oldfield releases, so didn't expect more;)

For me it sounds very nice! A more more calm editing than Ommadown (but the same happens with David Gilmours latest album: The lads getting older and fine with me;)

So good he took up the spirit from the 70's - The period I like most.
And for me it sounds as it's more recorded for a surroundmix with for example more guitars (as I do when I make new recordings;)

So hats off for good old Oldfield!:banana:

Back