Firesign Theatre's "Everything You Know Is Wrong" quad mix to be included on new set

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdmack

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
There is a new Firesign Theatre 2-DVD set coming out in January that will have a lot of their video projects, but according to Tim Maloney on Facebook (he authored the discs), the quad mix of "Everything You Know Is Wrong" will also be included! I think a lot of people (myself included) have reached out to FT member Phil Proctor asking for this, so I'm glad it's finally happening!

Info about the set can be found here - http://firesigntheatre.com/firesale/firesale.php . Note that nowhere in the description does it mention the quad mix, so I presume this is one of the "extra surprises."

I've asked Tim on FB what the format of the quad mix will be (DD, DTS, DVD-Audio). I'll post again when he answers.

Two things - I failed to read that they hope to ship this by Dec. 25!

Also, the quad mix is synced to the film of "Everything You Know Is Wrong" so it won't be DVD-Audio (still waiting to hear DD or DTS).

AAAARGH!! Tim replied to me, "Dolby Digital. From a vinyl transfer, though, I have to admit that. There ain't NOTHIN' coming out of that Columba vault any time soon."

I've followed up with asking him how it was decoded.

An SQ decode? Oh my! What a missed opportunity. At least we still have the Q8 for REAL quad.

Funny, AF and Dutton seem to be getting things out of that Columbia vault. It's a shame that FT can't get to their own quad masters. Probably had a few too many "Bear Whiz Beers" (It's in the water)

Geez, why not at least try and source a Q8 for a transfer? At least it'd be discrete.

I'd be willing to bet the Master is no longer in Sony's possession. Why wouldn't they allow a transfer when other companies clearly have access?
That doesn't really make a whole lot of sense.

I bet it is there, we were told they all exist and got a list of everything, i did not remember anything missing. The list is around here somewhere.
just spoke to the wrong floor of the corp. Funny how stuff goes out one side and not the other. We did it thru special markets side. Probably that side has more open borders than the front door.
It may have come down to dough. Or finding the right exec.

Geez, why not at least try and source a Q8 for a transfer? At least it'd be discrete.

I'd be willing to bet the Master is no longer in Sony's possession. Why wouldn't they allow a transfer when other companies clearly have access?
That doesn't really make a whole lot of sense.

I bet it is there, we were told they all exist and got a list of everything, i did not remember anything missing. The list is around here somewhere.
just spoke to the wrong floor of the corp. Funny how stuff goes out one side and not the other. We did it thru special markets side. Probably that side has more open borders than the front door.
It may have come down to dough. Or finding the right exec.

In cases like this, I love being proven wrong! :D I'm glad to hear stuff like this still exists.

So we can assume for now anyway that it will be released as a 5.1 DD mix ?? Sync'd with the film ??

I'm fine with any TFT in surround on film.

FWIW -they had "Eat Or Be Eaten" on RCA video in Dolby 2ch MP matrix at one time. Not sure if their other two films from the 80/90 time frame were in surround, but they are worth having if your a fan of Firesign, like me !! :banana:

Anyway they can access the quad of "Everything " is something they MUST persue. The fans need their TFT QUAD fix !!:smokin
I just hope it's still to come.

Somehow, I've never heard of them.

You gotta be kidding ? Gos ?

A life deprived of some of the "best" comedy ever. Start with "How Can You Be......" and then everything from the late 60's and 70's.:smokin
Two of their discs were made available in QUAD , on Columbia Records and "Boom Dot Bust" was one of the first 5.1 Rhino/Warner DVDA'S released.

Laugh.com has all their classic discs.

https://laugh.com/?s=+firesign+theatre&post_type=product

kinda curious what they decoded the record with.. the SQ LP (which I had a tough time tracking down, it's a scarce one) decoded pretty well thru the Surround Master I thought.. I wonder if any QQ members were involved/consulted?

You gotta be kidding ? Gos ?

A life deprived of some of the "best" comedy ever. Start with "How Can You Be......" and then everything from the late 60's and 70's.:smokin
Two of their discs were made available in QUAD , on Columbia Records and "Boom Dot Bust" was one of the first 5.1 Rhino/Warner DVDA'S released.

Laugh.com has all their classic discs.

https://laugh.com/?s=+firesign+theatre&post_type=product

Oh! Comedy? LOL! I assumed it was a band. :confused:

Hmmm - still doesn't ring a bell at all. Guess I was mostly limited to the likes of

Richard Pryor
George Carlin
Bill Cosby
Early Steve Martin
John Cleese
Norm Crosby
Tim Conway
Rodney Dangerfield
Dom DeLouis
Redd Foxx
Paul Lynde
Don Rickles
Dick Van Dyke
Jonathan Winters

haha - had to make my list of favorite comedians from back in the day. I'm sure I missed some....

The records kinda like the radio play of War Of The World's channelling Cheech & Chong... or something :eek:

Much preferred this Quad one to the more recent DVD-A (which was about as funny as stubbing your toe) this Quad one's good and the mix is great.

Shame it's not from the discrete masters but it is what it is.. SQ in Dolby Digital, Jesus wept.

Oh! Comedy? LOL! I assumed it was a band. :confused:

Hmmm - still doesn't ring a bell at all. Guess I was mostly limited to the likes of

Richard Pryor
George Carlin
Bill Cosby
Early Steve Martin
John Cleese
Norm Crosby
Tim Conway
Rodney Dangerfield
Dom DeLouis
Redd Foxx
Paul Lynde
Don Rickles
Dick Van Dyke
Jonathan Winters

haha - had to make my list of favorite comedians from back in the day. I'm sure I missed some....

They were considered the first comedy ensemble really "meant" to be heard on vinyl.....not at a Comedy Club. Multi-leveled, try it. You'll either love them or wonder what we were smoking back in the day. :smokin

The records kinda like the radio play of War Of The World's channelling Cheech & Chong... or something :eek:

Much preferred this Quad one to the more recent DVD-A (which was about as funny as stubbing your toe) this Quad one's good and the mix is great.

Shame it's not from the discrete masters but it is what it is.. SQ in Dolby Digital, Jesus wept.

If you like Cleese, and or Python you will find some similarity. They precede Python and have the best ad lib humour I've ever heard, bar none.
Of course their humour is based on American pop culture, full of innuendo and surreal madness. Their mock "commercials" are ultra-hilarious. And there is "head humour" much like cheech and chong but much more "rapid fire" funny.

It usually takes a few listens to one of their albums to catch all of the jokes contained and they are riddled with many, and nothing is sacred everthing is humorously presented.

The two Quad discs are very good in quad I think, the material on "Everything" is better in my opinion (I also prefer this quad mix to "Bozos").
The surround on the "Boom Dot Bust "DVDA is very good, but the humour does not always come through. But I'm a BIG TFT FAN so I like it regardless.

:sun

-Fizzy aka George Tirebiter II. :) :) :) :)

Arguably, their best LPs were "Dont' Crush The Dwarf...." and the Lennon and Marx ones, a discography check will let you know what I mean. Bozos on the Bus is not bad either.

Agree totally.

"HOW CAN YOU BE IN TWO PLACES AT ONCE WHEN YOUR NOT ANYWHERE AT ALL"

"DON'T CRUSH THAT DWARF, HAND ME THE PLIERS"

Top notch discs !!!

:upthumb:worthy

I love the 2 quad FTs. I hope they can get a hold of the masters, but if they do it from a quad lp, and turns out as good as the Rick Wakemans quads. I would be happy.

I love the 2 quad FTs. I hope they can get a hold of the masters, but if they do it from a quad lp, and turns out as good as the Rick Wakemans quads. I would be happy.

If they want to do a "needle drop" that would be ok with me as well.

As long as we can get the quads out. Every year that goes by without some of the many excellent quad recordings, will likely mean further deterioration of those precious quad masters (such a waste).

Back