Thanks Thanks:  39
Likes Likes:  46
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Firesign Theatre's "Everything You Know Is Wrong" quad mix to be included on new set

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star John Svensson's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 387
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Firesign Theatre's "Everything You Know Is Wrong" quad mix to be included on new

Well, not the Q8, but is anything semi discrete to the rear speakers? Could you tell that you were hearing a matrix quad release at least? Just curious....I will probably get it anyway as a fan but some lines popping from the rears would be a plus. John

2. Thanks fizzywiggs41 thanked for this post
    Likes fizzywiggs41 liked this post
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Firesign Theatre's "Everything You Know Is Wrong" quad mix to be included on new

Quote Originally Posted by jdmack View Post
    So I had a chance to listen to the quad mix on the DVD set tonight, and...nope. A big "nope", in fact. None of the channel placement of sounds comes close to what's on the quad 8-track. Ah well, at least the film looks good, the material is still great and the commentary track (recorded before Bergman and Austin died) is amusing.
    So the DVD is quad ?? Just a different quad mix then?? And what format ?? DD ?

Level
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranOverdriveCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry
    Post Thanks / Like

For those who have no clue about Firesign Theater, it's best advised to proceed with caution as if you start with the wrong album you will walk away thinking "WTF?", and this is crap. You won't get it.

You have to place yourself back in the late '60s/early '70s. No internet or other media other than the 3 networks (CBS, NBC, ABC) on TV and your local radio and FM station (which had a lot of media power back then). The comedy album as still important (Carlin, Cosby, etc), and Firesign was for the youngsters, the smart ones. It was way deeper than a stand up comedy LP.

Anyway, as others have said, start with "How can you be in two places at once when you're not anywhere at all" and listen to the side with "Nick Danger, Third Eye". It's a parody of an old time mystery radio show (think CBS Radio Mystery Theater or even older) and you're not listening to the LP, you are listening to the LP as a listener listening to a radio show. If you're a Beatles fan, listen closely and try to identify all of the Beatles White Album references. (Don't cheat and Google them)

If and when you warm up to that piece and you find that you appreciate the humor, try the album "Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers". This one really needs headphones. Now instead of listening to an LP, you are a guy sitting home alone with the TV on. It's late night, very late night, and there's nothing really on but you're clicking through the channels. There's religious stuff and there's a movie playing called "High School Madness", among other things. Remember, this was broadcast TV, so you're going back and forth between the few things that were on at that time of night. Anyway, you have to be in the right frame of mind*, but it's classic.

From there, Bozo's is a good choice, then the rest.

Put in perspective, their core albums are classics, but there are some of their albums that are not that good. The early Columbia stuff is what made them famous on the college and high school campuses, but they also were a product of their time.

Your results may vary
    :-jon

5. Thanks JanBakker, fredblue, GOS, skherbeck, fizzywiggs41, timbre4 thanked for this post
    Likes fredblue, GOS, skherbeck, fizzywiggs41, timbre4 liked this post
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star jdmack's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 509
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fizzywiggs41 View Post
    So the DVD is quad ?? Just a different quad mix then?? And what format ?? DD ?
    The DVD is poorly decoded SQ quad. There is a moment near the beginning ("Dogs flew spaceships!...") where the voices come should come from the four corners and they come from somewhat random positions mostly towards the front. And yes, it's Dolby Digital (which would have been fine since this is a comedy album and not a music album).

J. D.

7. Thanks fredblue, fizzywiggs41 thanked for this post
    Level
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdriveCreated Album picturesSocial50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Downloads
    Post Thanks / Like

The DVD is poorly decoded SQ quad. There is a moment near the beginning ("Dogs flew spaceships!...") where the voices come should come from the four corners and they come from somewhat random positions mostly towards the front. And yes, it's Dolby Digital (which would have been fine since this is a comedy album and not a music album).

J. D.
    wonder what they decoded it with, listening to the SQ LP thru the Surround Master right now and its a Quad riot! voices and sound effects (clattering typewriters, ringing telephones, baying animals.. ) are popping up all over the place, with as good a sensation of different sounds coming from all 4 corners as you could ever hope from SQ matrix encoded material. I don't know wtf is going on (humour-wise!) but its very Quaddy, stuff is literally moving around the room the whole time.. good job I was blotto before I put the record on its bloody bonkers.. haha!
    "Surround Sound From The End of the World to Your Town"
    797 SACD (649 MultiCh), 344 DVD-Audio, 289 SQ LP,
    129 CD-4 LP, 122 Audio-DVD, 108 DualDisc, 108 Blu-ray Audio,
    79 DTS CD,
    29 Dolby Surround CD, 28 QS LP, 5 MultiCh Download

9. Thanks fizzywiggs41, GOS thanked for this post
    Likes John Svensson, fizzywiggs41, GOS liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fredblue View Post
    wonder what they decoded it with, listening to the SQ LP thru the Surround Master right now and its a Quad riot! voices and sound effects (clattering typewriters, ringing telephones, baying animals.. ) are popping up all over the place, with as good a sensation of different sounds coming from all 4 corners as you could ever hope from SQ matrix encoded material. I don't know wtf is going on (humour-wise!) but its very Quaddy, stuff is literally moving around the room the whole time.. good job I was blotto before I put the record on its bloody bonkers.. haha!
    You got that right, good buddy.

That quad mix would challenge anything Steven Wilson or Elliot Scheiner ever did.
    And that includes the Flaming Lips-Yoshimi disc !!!

11. Thanks fredblue thanked for this post
    Likes fredblue, GOS liked this post
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star jdmack's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 509
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

When I first suggested (via e-mail) to Phil Proctor that the FT quad albums should be released in some surround sound disc format, I remember him responding that he had been in touch with the Quadraphonic Preservation Society about it (or they had been in touch with him). But this was a long time ago and I no longer have access to any e-mails from that time to verify what I'm remembering.
    Hey! I found the e-mail from Phil Proctor that I remember! It was from February 2006. Here is what it said:

----------------------------

Dear JD:

hers' the response I got after forwarding your inquiry to our tech guru...

Well... actually... I've already been dealing with
    the Quadraphonic Restoration Society, and the two
    quadraphonic Firesign albums have already been
    extracted from the originals and re-mixed into 5.1
    surround format so that we can re-issue them
    as DVD-Audio discs, or more likely, as DualDiscs.

The work has already been done, and I've been
    putting together a presentation for you guys.
    This was something that came up when I met the
    audio engineers at the awards ceremony for the
    Surround Sound conference.

I remember how much fun it was to mix BOZOS and EVERYTHING YOU KNOW IS WRONG down at the CBS studios at Gower! Thanks for asking ~

------------------------

So it's possible that the quad mix conversion on the new DVD was done in the mid 2000s. And it wasn't Phil but his tech guru (whoever that was) who worked with the QPS.

J. D.

13. Thanks John Svensson, fizzywiggs41 thanked for this post
    Likes fizzywiggs41 liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 50
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

J. D.
    Guess i will pass on this, maybe someday we will get the quad from the masters. Til then i will enjoy the Q8, descrete quad. Thanks for the info.

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm too much of a "Firesign Theatre" fan not to pass this up.

Regardless of a poor transfer, there is bonus material which also interests me.

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Jan 24th release date.

amazon says it's in surround (quad ?) Dolby likely.

https://www.amazon.com/Everything-De...resign+theatre

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Attention GOS (GENE)
    -or anyone uncertain.

Their best comedy disc on MOFI no less and cheap yet. I have some Firesign MOFI discs and they do good work preservingand Improving on the cds.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED !!!!!!

https://www.amazon.ca/Places-Youre-A...words=firesign

18. Likes GOS liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12