Steven Wilson: "To The Bone" (new album)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first Wilson solo album I bought was The Raven Who Refused to Sing. Re: Porcupine Tree, I had In Absentia and Lightbulb Sun. I liked all three, but did not love them. The tile track from Raven is beautiful, but I've not been thinking "WOW MUST HAVE". I've taken a pass at the last few Wilson releases.

Given all the hubbub from ears that I've grown to trust, I am listening to "To The Bone" on Spotify. I got to track four and clicked "buy" for the Blu-Ray. Wilson has really hit on something here. Epic might be the word? Both raw and nuanced. Both fierce and delicate.

Wow. Great stuff.

The first Wilson solo album I bought was The Raven Who Refused to Sing. Re: Porcupine Tree, I had In Absentia and Lightbulb Sun. I liked all three, but did not love them. The tile track from Raven is beautiful, but I've not been thinking "WOW MUST HAVE". I've taken a pass at the last few Wilson releases.

Given all the hubbub from ears that I've grown to trust, I am listening to "To The Bone" on Spotify. I got to track four and clicked "buy" for the Blu-Ray. Wilson has really hit on something here. Epic might be the word? Both raw and nuanced. Both fierce and delicate.

Wow. Great stuff.

Yeah...he's been practicing all these years ;)

By the way, I'm one of those people that read the full credits of the albums (yes, I'm that weird). I was surprised to see in the thanks section our beloved Mr Paul Loasby. What can the link to Steven be?

Well I am worried for the first time since I started ordering from Burning Shed, pre-ordered "To The Bone" May 9th shipping notice Aug 14th still has not arrived, although my order for Gavin Harrison and Paul Draper ordered on Aug 16th shipped on Aug 17th arrived today Aug 23rd. They must have put Steven on the slow boat...Bummer.

Don't worry I bet the delay will be down to Royal Mail, I'm about 270 miles from Norwich and the post takes 3-4 days!

Well I am worried for the first time since I started ordering from Burning Shed, pre-ordered "To The Bone" May 9th shipping notice Aug 14th still has not arrived, although my order for Gavin Harrison and Paul Draper ordered on Aug 16th shipped on Aug 17th arrived today Aug 23rd. They must have put Steven on the slow boat...Bummer.

Looks like I'll be waiting a while in Australia. Despite ordering the deluxe months ago, the 'Rest Of The World' deliveries were sent at the same time as everybody else, with an email telling me that I'll have to wait for up to 20 days. :mad:

I'm sure Burning Shed used to send these ROTW orders a few days early so we got it as soon as logistically possible to the release date.

Well....credit where it is due. My deluxe edition was waiting for me when I arrived home on Friday evening, 4 days after my post above. Actually made it all the way to Australia in one piece, with no marks or battered corners despite the rather flimsy packaging (expected better for 30 pounds shipping!). Must be a miracle!

Anyhoo, I've spent the day listening, reading and poring over the book and it is a wonderful edition. I had the album in stereo for the last week or so, but the 5.1 takes it up another notch from the opening loops of the title track. Some tracks I connected with instantly and some not so much, but those are now drawing me in with each repeated 5.1 listen. The 'Ask Me Nicely' documentary is great too, especially for recording/studio nerds....is there a guitar pedal that Mr Stacey doesn't have 3 copies of in that pile of gear?? Off to the poll page now to cast my rather obvious vote. :D

I had wild hopes that I might see my deluxe edition this weekend, but no. $35 shipping for shoddy service. Makes me even more irked that the friggin' official download card is in the box and not sent via email on release day. Grr.

I had wild hopes that I might see my deluxe edition this weekend, but no. $35 shipping for shoddy service. Makes me even more irked that the friggin' official download card is in the box and not sent via email on release day. Grr.

I don't understand. What's taking so long? I received both my sets last Monday. Didn't you pre-order via his Website?

I don't understand. What's taking so long? I received both my sets last Monday. Didn't you pre-order via his Website?

Yes indeed, first day it went on pre-order. I guess it's coming from the UK so I'm just trying to be patient.

Me too and you're practically next door to me. So, what gives? Maybe, it's because I ordered two sets? ?

Btw, mine arrived via DHL.

Did you order later in the day after they had the "USA" shop done? I didn't - perhaps that's the difference?

Usually there is 2 or 3 days between delivery in the big coast cities - NYC, LA - and when I see stuff in my mailbox. I checked the link to my order - no DHL tracking or anything....so I just wait.

Mine showed up today. In a big odd colored oversized shipping bag. Inside the box was in another box and after extraction it looked to survive the transit without issue. Was it worth $35 in shipping? Well, who's to say. I thought it was a bit much but if it arrived damaged I would be pissed, but it didn't.

So now it resides next to the other SW deluxe issues I have on the shelf, awaiting for me to get some time to fire the thing up. I miss the days I could just drag the DVD-A into my car and listen right away. I have far too much time in the car and too little time at home to listen to new stuff. :mad:

PS - I know this is a BluRay, I'm just rambling on about the old days..............:violin

Mine showed up today. In a big odd colored oversized shipping bag. Inside the box was in another box and after extraction it looked to survive the transit without issue. Was it worth $35 in shipping? Well, who's to say. I thought it was a bit much but if it arrived damaged I would be pissed, but it didn't.

So now it resides next to the other SW deluxe issues I have on the shelf, awaiting for me to get some time to fire the thing up. I miss the days I could just drag the DVD-A into my car and listen right away. I have far too much time in the car and too little time at home to listen to new stuff. :mad:

PS - I know this is a BluRay, I'm just rambling on about the old days..............:violin

A quick pass through MakeMKV and DVDAE doesn't take too long, but I agree just putting the disc in would be much more convenient. I never had a car that could play DVD-A and at the height of new releases it must have really been something. I'm just glad these aren't released on SACD...encoding the PPL DV disc to DTS was quite an event for me.

As for the subject of the thread, I love SW's Remix work and am just getting into his own music. Loving PT's Lightbulb Sun and Deadwing so maybe I'll get to the solo stuff soon...

Back