Steven Wilson: "To The Bone" (new album)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've now heard the whole track....on vimeo (not official so I'm not linking it here, and it'll probably get pulled anyway).

Like it, quite a bit, and I think it'll grow even more. Loved Pariah, like this....yeah, looking fwd to the album.

(and oh, shouldn't those of us that pre-ordered - especially for a super deluxe set, at least be able to get an official download of this without having to pay or sign up to some service?)

(and oh, shouldn't those of us that pre-ordered - especially for a super deluxe set, at least be able to get an official download of this without having to pay or sign up to some service?)
Absolutely. Steven's new management under Caroline/Universal is totally bungling this.

I thought I saw a download link somewhere apologies I can't remember where at the moment. I ordered the box from his website that much I remember.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deluxe hard back book edition now SOLD OUT! :yikes That was fast.

Steven Wilson has premiered yet another new track from "To The Bone".
This time it's "Song Of I" which features Swiss Singer Sophie Hunger.
https://stevenwilson.lnk.to/SongOfIFP

Can't say I really dig the song parts very much, but there's an amazing middle section featuring some superb orchestral arrangements!
This song in particular reminds me of something that Peter Gabriel would write and record.

Let us know what you all think of this new track!

:)

Personally, I love it. I'm just pissed off that those of us who have paid for the box don't get these tracks as downloads in advance, but some who's pre-ordered on iTunes does. Feels like a bit of a kick in the nuts :mad:

I like it, dark though, reminds of a cross between Kate Bush/Peter Gabriel with a hint of some Page & Plant 'exotic strings'.

Steven Wilson has premiered yet another new track from "To The Bone".
This time it's "Song Of I" which features Swiss Singer Sophie Hunger.
https://stevenwilson.lnk.to/SongOfIFP

Can't say I really dig the song parts very much, but there's an amazing middle section featuring some superb orchestral arrangements!
This song in particular reminds me of something that Peter Gabriel would write and record.

Let us know what you all think of this new track!

:)

Played this latest one a few times this afternoon and found it to be very "Prince" and in my books that's not a good thing. I know SW is a fan as are so many others, but I just never liked his music, and I tried. I like Pariah a lot, Asylum is not bad and growing on me (except the falsetto bits, doesn't work imho). I'm still in for the deluxe set, still looking forward to hearing the album as a whole - sometimes the odd track that I don't care for initially ends up working better in the flow/context of the other songs around it.

A little peeved at there now being 3 songs released and the album pre-orders from iTunes can have them, yet I spring big $$ for the deluxe box and cannot get a legit download without paying for it.

Doesn't bother me one bit. I'd rather wait until the full album is released than listen to a few low quality files.

I agree. I generally don't sample songs from a known artist or band, it kind of ruins the experience when you go to play the album for the first time.

Also, if the album is sequenced nicely, hearing a single song out of context may invoke a totally different reaction then if you had played the album straight through.

Same for movie previews.

Another track out today - "Permanating" - very much a pop song:

[video=youtube;x4LfUDV1x5s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4LfUDV1x5s[/video]

Yeah... I can honestly say that, outside of some of SW's ambient projects, this is probably the first SW track that does absolutely nothing for me. I'm not even feeling the optimistic "maybe it's a grower!" vibe. Kind of how I'm feeling for most of what's been released (I did like Pariah). It's cool though. After SOOOO many years, and SOOOOO much amazing music, there's gotta be something that doesn't jive with me at some point.

I will say, the amount of butthurt indignation in the comments section on his facebook is absolutely pathetic. The internet... :rolleyes:

In case anyone didn't see SW's comments on the single release on the youtube page or in the email:
‘Permanating’ represents a departure from the rest of the album and the more melancholic material I'm known for in that it's probably the most joyous piece of pure pop I've ever recorded. In my mind this is what ABBA and Electric Light Orchestra would sound like as produced by Daft Punk! While I expect it to create healthy debate amongst my listeners, it's one of the songs I'm most proud of on the new record because it's such a different approach for me, and I thrive from changing my sound and trying new things. Production of a video for the song is in progress, news on that soon. In the meantime, hope you enjoy!

Also, here's a comment from a user on an unofficial PT forum who has heard the whole album, for what it's worth:
Don't judge the album prematurely based on the singles so far...they will make more sense when heard in the context of the album. And "Permanating" may even grow on you if you give it a chance. There's a couple of fantastic rock songs you've yet to hear, plus a couple of downbeat emotional heavyweights that rival or maybe even surpass the song "The Raven that Refused to Sing." Those craving a bit of prog will be deliriously happy about "Detonation," which features a guitar solo by David Kollar that is every bit as epic and thrilling as the guitar solos by Guthrie Govan on "Drive Home," "Regret #9," and "Ancestral." Steven also plays a lot of absolutely killer guitar solos throughout this album. The drummers kick ass - plenty of air drumming moments!

I'm not getting too worked up about his different sound/approach. Heck, I sort of welcome a different vibe. Why not? He's Steven Wilson and I'm pretty sure he can do what he wants. What I'm sure hasn't changed will be the glorious multichannel. That "pop" song might just sound killer in 5.1. Something tells me I'm gonna love it. :)

Well I've only just listened to this one, after seeing a ridiculous amount of bitching on some SW groups throughout the day, which is most amusing, but even SW I think is allowed to have one throwaway pop song in his repertoire. I've only listened to these new songs once or twice, I'd rather wait and listen to the album as a whole and in 5.1 of course! As per usual I bought the box-set without hearing a single note, but with this more commercial direction and a new major label are we witnessing SW maybe selling out a little? I hope I'm wrong because that would mean stadium gigs, which I hate and SW said he'd never do... ;)

Back