Steven Wilson: "To The Bone" (new album)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had to pay an additional charge thru DHL today to get my deluxe set delivered on Monday.
A little put off by paying another $30.00, when the original shipping cost caused me to swallow very hard.
Alas, it's on it's way.

Had to pay an additional charge thru DHL today to get my deluxe set delivered on Monday.
A little put off by paying another $30.00, when the original shipping cost caused me to swallow very hard.
Alas, it's on it's way.

Canada - probably the customs and brokerage fees....they always seem to gouge on those. Back when I lived up there I always got irked when I got hit with the fees from Canada Post - $5 fee to collect less than $3 in taxes.

Listening to the album Blue ray from the Deluxe,

Wow I prefer this album to Hand Cannot Erase, and a fantastic Surround mix.

Unmistakably Steven Wilson but with all those influences showing through, some very strong writing and great guests, who do add to the whole feel.

The songs previously released as 'singles' are much stronger in context.

I've listened to the CD about 10 times over the weekend and then finally placed the blu-ray into the player last night for the 5.1 mix. I think this is the best ''upgrade'' in sound out of all SW solo releases. By that I mean the album opens up the most compared with the stereo track. The CD itself is great sounding, but I do think that in louder sections in particular it gets a bit congested - Which I never noticed with the past albums, bar Insurgentes which initially had a brickwalled mastering. I can only really put it down to the mastering as I believe this is the first SW release since Insurgentes which has been mastered by someone else (not sure why SW didn't just do it himself).

Anyhow, the 5.1 really opens up this album even more and it just sounds so much more pure. The drums in particular sound much more natural, the snare has a more defined snap and the many instances of background vocals shine through more.

I will need to listen more but at the moment for me it's SW's most well-rounded 5.1 mix and it opens up the sound field of the album so much.

The documentary is a must watch also, some very interesting insights into the recording of the album.

Looks like I'll be waiting a while in Australia. Despite ordering the deluxe months ago, the 'Rest Of The World' deliveries were sent at the same time as everybody else, with an email telling me that I'll have to wait for up to 20 days. :mad:

I'm sure Burning Shed used to send these ROTW orders a few days early so we got it as soon as logistically possible to the release date.

I though Steven Wilson didn't like remixing live albums in surround ?!

True but it's nice to know that more DP in surround is a possibility...Machine Head is one of my favorite quad mixes and Who Do We Think We Are is one of those albums I've always wanted to hear in surround. Woman From Tokyo is impressive even through PLII

Considering that Universal recently released DP's MADE IN JAPAN on BD~A without the 5.1 remix! :((n)

http://hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=9643#tracks

One of the big reasons BluRay Pure Audio died was because Universal were not prepared to include 5.1 mixes that were 'clearly' available or had been created such as the above mentioned Deep Purple & The Derek & The Dominos - Layla album.
Why would you spend $30-$40 on a stereo only recording of an album you already own on CD?
Universal screwed up!

With the cost of living as it is now days you have to offer something special or unique to make me buy the same thing again.

One of the big reasons BluRay Pure Audio died was because Universal were not prepared to include 5.1 mixes that were 'clearly' available or had been created such as the above mentioned Deep Purple & The Derek & The Dominos - Layla album.
Why would you spend $30-$40 on a stereo only recording of an album you already own on CD?
Universal screwed up!

With the cost of living as it is now days you have to offer something special or unique to make me buy the same thing again.

Sounds to me with a Steve Wilson 5.1 remix of DP's Made In Japan in the can that Universal is preparing an elaborate boxset which will include the SW remix....which precludes yet another pricey purchase!

And yeah, Universal's BD~A launch was doomed to failure after their utter failure to include 5.1 remixes when available.....and including ONLY one album per BD~A disc.....when it could've accommodated several.

G R E E D !

Ironically, one [lucky] QQ poster was able to procure Wilson's new stand alone BD~A/V of To The Bone for under $10 [:yikes] and it makes one appreciate Dutton Vocalion's QUAD two~fers for US$13!

BTW, The Stereo BD~A of Made in Japan is OOP and probably fetching big $$ on eBay.

Last edited:
To know that he did a 5.1-mix of Deep Purple's Made in Japan which is not yet released...
Considering that Universal recently released DP's MADE IN JAPAN on BD~A without the 5.1 remix! :((n)
Sounds to me with a Steve Wilson 5.1 remix of DP's Made In Japan in the can that Universal is preparing an elaborate boxset which will include the SW remix....which precludes yet another pricey purchase!
Except that there already was an expensive box set for Made In Japan, and while a new stereo remix (not Steven's) was included, the SW 5.1 was not. [emoji25]

Except that there already was an expensive box set for Made In Japan, and while a new stereo remix (not Steven's) was included, the SW 5.1 was not. [emoji25]

If you want a chuckle, a [probably] partial listing of the various releases of DP's Made in Japan [and the stereo BD~A is NOT even included]: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_t...ppress-ve=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1503357872&lo=popular

Time for the 'upcoming' Made in Japan BOXSET with Steve Wilson's 5.1 remix [what, NO Dolby Atmos?????]

My Deluxe set was delivered today.
Added up that I spent more on getting this set delivered than the original cost of the set.
Looks and smells beautiful.
Will get in the listening mood later this evening.
Should open a poll if there is not one already.

Burning Shed came through in the Northeast US today. Waiting to give a proper listen (and comment) this weekend.

Back