Steven Wilson: "To The Bone" (new album)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you order later in the day after they had the "USA" shop done? I didn't - perhaps that's the difference?

Usually there is 2 or 3 days between delivery in the big coast cities - NYC, LA - and when I see stuff in my mailbox. I checked the link to my order - no DHL tracking or anything....so I just wait.

I know it was before the change because later in the day I revisited the shopping site and it looked different.

I just looked. My shipping notification came on 8/17 and the delivery was on 8/21 which seems odd.

Mine arrived today as well - same packaging as others have mentioned. No damage at all so I suppose "it's saul goodman." I had a quick look at the book contents and like that a lot - I'm guessing a lot of this email back and forth stuff is also covered in the documentary but I like getting that inside look at the making of the album at various steps and stages.

Now, I just hope I can get to play the surround mix this week as we'll be away for the long weekend in a cabin in Colorado...no internet, only a generator for power that needs to shut down around 9pm each evening.

So now it resides next to the other SW deluxe issues I have on the shelf, awaiting for me to get some time to fire the thing up. I miss the days I could just drag the DVD-A into my car and listen right away. I have far too much time in the car and too little time at home to listen to new stuff. :mad:

PS - I know this is a BluRay, I'm just rambling on about the old days..............:violin

Yep, I love being able to make DVD-A discs out of Blu-Ray material for my Acura, but I also would love some more official DVD-A/V releases too, that way I can bypass the whole ripping and burning steps to get a DVD-A made for the car.

It's a sign of the times we live in, isn't it?
It's a good thing we still have lots of good Blu-Ray audio releases this year because it appears that once again, DVD-A/V has hit an all-time low.
I can only find one commercial DVD-A/V release for the year so far, and that's the new release of "The Great Cold Distance" from Katatonia.

Nevertheless, "To the Bone" sounds amazing in both the car and the home system.

:)

In case anyone else is in the same boat that I'm in..... I ordered the stand-alone Blu-ray from Bull Moose and it's still listed as back ordered. I just got the following e-mail from Bull Moose:

This is an update regarding your purchase of: WILSON,STEVEN/TO THE BONE ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hello, We are so sorry for the delay on this item!! Universal didn't make enough for the demand and needed to quickly make another run. We are being told that we should have some by mid-next week. If you prefer to cancel, rather than wait, we totally understand. Just let us know and we can cancel the order. Otherwise, we do hope to have them next week. Thank you

In case anyone else is in the same boat that I'm in..... I ordered the stand-alone Blu-ray from Bull Moose and it's still listed as back ordered. I just got the following e-mail from Bull Moose:

This is an update regarding your purchase of: WILSON,STEVEN/TO THE BONE ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hello, We are so sorry for the delay on this item!! Universal didn't make enough for the demand and needed to quickly make another run. We are being told that we should have some by mid-next week. If you prefer to cancel, rather than wait, we totally understand. Just let us know and we can cancel the order. Otherwise, we do hope to have them next week. Thank you

He is doing pretty good, that Wilson guy! Very well earned, if you ask me.

He is doing pretty good, that Wilson guy! Very well earned, if you ask me.

Despite me grumbling about not having my copy.... :howl

I think this is actually a positive sign. It means that Universal underestimated the demand for both SW and blu-ray audio. Hopefully it gets them releasing more titles.

Mine showed up today. In a big odd colored oversized shipping bag. Inside the box was in another box and after extraction it looked to survive the transit without issue. Was it worth $35 in shipping? Well, who's to say. I thought it was a bit much but if it arrived damaged I would be pissed, but it didn't.

So now it resides next to the other SW deluxe issues I have on the shelf, awaiting for me to get some time to fire the thing up. I miss the days I could just drag the DVD-A into my car and listen right away. I have far too much time in the car and too little time at home to listen to new stuff. :mad:

PS - I know this is a BluRay, I'm just rambling on about the old days..............:violin

Mine showed up in the same bag and inner box. Corners of the book are pretty badly dinged. For $35. shipping, very aggravating!

If anyone in the US wants a copy of the Blu-Ray, send me a PM.
I bought the single Blu-Ray from Burning Shed, then bought the deluxe edition once good US shipping prices became available and forgot to cancel my single Blu-Ray order, so I'm trying to pass it on to someone else.

$20 (price includes S&H)
(Blu-Ray is sealed)

Just picked up a copy of the standalone Blu-ray version from my local independent record store (yes, we stil have one luckily!). I started out just selecting the 5.1 DTS-HD MA audio just to see how that sounded and luckily hadn't turned the volume up yet! Reason: songs 1 and 2 were just VERY loud noise, sort of a digital distorted sound! Track 3 seemed to sound fine but I just got scared of blowing out speakers/tweeters/woofers/just causing general damage :-s

I then stopped the disc completely and rebooted - thinking it was maybe just some weird HDMI issue or something. NOPE! Again that loud noise.

I then selected the 5.1 PCM track and that plays just fine (now on track 5 Refuge as I'm typing this). Let's hope it stays that way.

If anyone else has similar issues I'd like to hear about it as this should be signaled to SW or the record label.

As for the album itself: a tremendous "grower album" to me. Everytime I've heard it it just keeps getting better. (yeah, I admit, I got if off the internet first...)

I saw the above post as I was ripping the BluRay to HD, so I had AudioMuxer do both the PCM 5.1 and the DTS 5.1. Both wav files look exactly the same in Sound Forge. See below (PCM top, DTS Bottom):

To The Bone wav.jpg

Just picked up a copy of the standalone Blu-ray version from my local independent record store (yes, we stil have one luckily!). I started out just selecting the 5.1 DTS-HD MA audio just to see how that sounded and luckily hadn't turned the volume up yet! Reason: songs 1 and 2 were just VERY loud noise, sort of a digital distorted sound! Track 3 seemed to sound fine but I just got scared of blowing out speakers/tweeters/woofers/just causing general damage :-s

I then stopped the disc completely and rebooted - thinking it was maybe just some weird HDMI issue or something. NOPE! Again that loud noise.

I then selected the 5.1 PCM track and that plays just fine (now on track 5 Refuge as I'm typing this). Let's hope it stays that way.

If anyone else has similar issues I'd like to hear about it as this should be signaled to SW or the record label.

As for the album itself: a tremendous "grower album" to me. Everytime I've heard it it just keeps getting better. (yeah, I admit, I got if off the internet first...)

Hi there,

the problem with the DTS HD audio seems to be related to Marantz receivers. I have the same issue like you with tracks 1 & 2.

Check this out: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...en-Wilson-mix!&p=340518&viewfull=1#post340518

Cheers,
Andreas

Hi there,

the problem with the DTS HD audio seems to be related to Marantz receivers. I have the same issue like you with tracks 1 & 2.

Check this out: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...en-Wilson-mix!&p=340518&viewfull=1#post340518

Cheers,
Andreas

Thanks for that info Andreas, useful and somewhat comforting to know. I indeed have a Marantz SR6006 AV receiver and an Oppo BDP-93EU combo which up till now has been able to take and play any disc and format I put in.

Oh well, the PCM works fine so I'll just leave it at that then I guess.

Haven't updated the firmware on the Marantz nor the Oppo since I got them 5 or 6 years ago and am not planning to either. "If it ain't broken, why fix it?" Right?

This far down the line and I've still not heard this album. I'm sure impressed with this new record company that he signed with that didn't print enough copies of the bluray for many of us to get one. Pretty depressing that I placed a pre-order and still don't have shipping info.

Maybe it's just the future of things as I went to my local record store today to try and get Joan Osborne's new cd and the owner said he only received one copy and hasn't been able to get another. He has 5 on order. He also doesn't have a cd of TTB. I knew he wouldn't get the bluray as I'm probably the only person for hundreds of miles around that would buy it, but it just seems there are fewer and fewer discs showing up.

Seems to me that record companies don't even want to make us discs any more. I'm sure they would rather we just download and save them the manufacturing and shipping costs and still charge us the same. Actually, I'm sure they'd rather just charge us monthly for the rest of our lives for the luxury of listening to it.

Luckily, I've been on the road for most of this month and will be for the rest, so maybe it'll get here before I get home again.

K

They played "Nowhere Now" at about 10:30am-ish on Planet Rock this morning, a first I think. I've only ever heard them play his solo tracks & Porcupine Tree late at night.

Video for "Nowhere Now". My apologies if this has been shared before. Great shots in this video. Too bad it wasn't able to be included in the bluray.

[video=youtube_share;ENfI942SJTY]https://youtu.be/ENfI942SJTY[/video]

I've been listening to this all week and the more I hear it the more I love it. Man it's a great album/blu Ray. Looking forward to seeing the concert later this year in Toronto.

On Record Store Day, Steven Wilson will release a new single entitled "How Big The Space"
Unless I'm mistaken, this is the other song that Andy Partridge of XTC wrote the lyrics to. (The first being the title track of the album "To The Bone")

Here's the full info from the RSD website:
12" featuring an unreleased exclusive b-side "How Big The Space" plus an instrumental of the same and a new version of "People Who Eat Darkness" from Steven's latest studio album "To the Bone", this new version with Ninet Tayb's vocals up in the mix. On dark blue vinyl.

A1: How Big The Space? A2: How Big The Space? (Instrumental)
B2: People Who Eat Darkness (featuring Ninet Tayeb)

418459071140%3A800.jpg

Back