Steven Wilson: "To The Bone" (new album)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now, while staying on topic, I haven't even listened to a single track that SW has released so far in anticipation of his new album. I don't mind anyhoo... ?

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

“And I think that’s the sign of someone that – I'm not saying I’m a great artist or anything, but I certainly have the sensibility of an artist as opposed to the sensibility of an entertainer.

I will.

I love that he's listening to himself and evolving. All great musicians do.

Not sure if this has already been posted. I wrote to Burning Shed asking for a listing of the contents of the blu-ray. Their reply:

96/24 high resolution stereo mix
96/24 high resolution instrumental mix
96/24 high resolution 5.1 surround sound mix
Pariah video
Song of I video
"Ask Me Nicely - The Making of To the Bone", 85 minute documentary shot by Lasse Hoile over a period of 3 months

I have virtually everything Steven Wilson has produced but after hearing this song and the other pop based directions he has taken on this new album I respectfully will not be getting this one.

Not my scene man.

I understand your point of view, but , do remember what the term "PROGRESSIVE" means...it doesn't get stuck in the same place..and he has been stuck in his style for many years now: it's great, but .."he'smovedon"...maybe this is the ONLY commercial sounding song on the new album; who knows????

BTW..it seems that the Prozac has kicked in...I can hear ABBA (remember he wanted to mix "Arrival" in MCH , along with some ...Coldplay :couch

I have virtually everything Steven Wilson has produced but after hearing this song and the other pop based directions he has taken on this new album I respectfully will not be getting this one.

Not my scene man.

I won't bother either. 'Justin Bieber Goes Bollywood' doesn't turn my crank. Wilson is such a talented guy, and frankly this is a bit embarrassing.

I won't bother either. 'Justin Bieber Goes Bollywood' doesn't turn my crank. Wilson is such a talented guy, and frankly this is a bit embarrassing.
This doesn't sound like Justin Bieber nor Bollywood, the video notwithstanding. This could have been a hit... In 1982. Definitely not today.

In a previous interview, Wilson stated that growing up his mum used to play Disco Diva Donna Summers' records and he would consider remixing her albums in 5.1 if given the opportunity. I like this cut. It's infectious and perhaps a new direction for Wilson.

Besides, if you don't buy this album and support Wilson's efforts HE'LL NEVER BE ABLE TO AFFORD A DECENT PAIR OF SHOES.:ugham:

I'm laughing all the way to the bank on this one. I love every one of the singles he's released ahead of To The Bone. Wonderful, infectious, different....excellent music. This disc will be amazing, and a breath of fresh air for me. I'm so sick and tired of everything being prog I could puke.

OK, got that off my chest.

As you can tell, prog is not my favorite genre. I mostly only like it because of all the awesome multi-channel releases that happen to be prog. I simply cannot wait for this one and I will turn it up to indecent volumes right from the git-go.

WOW!!! :banana:

This doesn't sound like Justin Bieber nor Bollywood, the video notwithstanding. This could have been a hit... In 1982. Definitely not today.

My guess is he could care less if it's a hit. He's doing what he wants and who are we to criticize. Oh Steven, how could you....do something that I don't want. You bastard....

;);););)

To me, different parts of that song remind me a bit of 80's Joe Jackson, a bit of ELO, XTC, and maybe a tiny bit of The Beatles, but I don't really hear any Justin Bieber in there. I for one love prog music, it's probably my favorite overall style, but I do like a little tastefully done folk or pop that has some real style to it.

Here's my $0.02, FWIW...

Raven, to me, is the pinnacle, so far, of Wilson's solo work. Just to my ears, according to my taste, etc. YMMV.
Hand was a bit of a fall-off from Raven. 4 1/2 was a bit of a fall-off from Hand.
Bone sounds, so far, like a fall-off from 4 1/2...

At what point does the fan cut bait? Send that money elsewhere? It can be hard to make that decision in the moment.
Hindsight is 20/20, as they say. There is lots of deserving surround music out there right now.

I'm probably going to sit this one out, pending reviews and prices. We'll see

The proof is in the pudding. My comments, while a bit harsh...didn't get any response. That tells me that most simply want Steven to release stuff that sounds like prog and or like his older stuff. I guess I get it....but maybe I don't. If he wants to shift, then I guess he loses fans. I dunno. I remember when the Scorpions released Eye To Eye and all the metal fans torched them. I thought it was a most impressive release and I'm as hard core Scorps fan as any. I guess I'm more tolerant of shifts in musical direction than most.

The proof is in the pudding. My comments, while a bit harsh...didn't get any response. That tells me that most simply want Steven to release stuff that sounds like prog and or like his older stuff. I guess I get it....but maybe I don't. If he wants to shift, then I guess he loses fans. I dunno. I remember when the Scorpions released Eye To Eye and all the metal fans torched them. I thought it was a most impressive release and I'm as hard core Scorps fan as any. I guess I'm more tolerant of shifts in musical direction than most.

Musical shifts are well and good, my brother. I think some work better than others, though. And we'll see how this album plays out. Maybe it will be the most awesome thing EVER. Who knows?

Rush shifted direction, significantly, from 2112 to Moving Pictures and Moving Pictures is largely seen as the superior album. Then, they shifted directions massively through Hold Your Fire and Roll the Bones, just a few years later. Again, most see Moving Pictures as the superior album. So, according to the masses, in hindsight, there is usually a pinnacle or "golden years" for these artists who massively shift.

Btw, I favor the artists who shift somewhat over those who never do. SW, Rush, Van Morrison, et al, thank you for the wide variety in your catalogs! AC/CD and other bands that stick with a formula... Pretty much one or two albums will do ya!

Back