Eldissa - Upside Down 5.1 SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Well, I've never heard of her, and I accidentally stumbled across this. It will be released on February 10th. SACD in 5.1

Here is a video of one of the songs..

[video=youtube;xUM5Hg7dQJ4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUM5Hg7dQJ4[/video]

Link to preorder on Amazon US

Link to preorder on CD Universe

Link to preorder on ImportCD's

I'm liking this, albeit with reservations. Seems more of a combo built around a marketing idea than an organic development of seasoned performers seeking that sweet spot where their talents all jibe. I hear more "Nouvelle Vague" than "Bitter:Sweet" in this, if you get my reference. (Heh - "Nouvelle-Nova Vague"... ) Your mileage may vary, but I don't get any sort of a vibe from the vocalists...as if dialed-down for the dinner-music crowd. Try the veal, don't forget to tip your waitress.

But any sort of bossa nova is a good idea to explore, from my perspective.

$19.99 free shipping from EVO88. I've ordered it. Seems to be in stock. Looking forward to it.

It arrived the other day directly from Hong Kong.

Oh dear! It ain't for me. Astrud Gilberto it isn't - there's no subtlety - it just doesn't gel. There's sod all going on in the rear speakers to make up for it. Might be some ambiance. Tiny bit of discrete percussion from time to time.

The super jewel case might come in handy. The rest is going to gather dust or end up in the wheelie bin.

Sound - 6
Mix - 2
Material - Forget it
Presentation - excellent

It arrived the other day directly from Hong Kong.

Oh dear! It ain't for me. Astrud Gilberto it isn't - there's no subtlety - it just doesn't gel. There's sod all going on in the rear speakers to make up for it. Might be some ambiance. Tiny bit of discrete percussion from time to time.

The super jewel case might come in handy. The rest is going to gather dust or end up in the wheelie bin.

Sound - 6
Mix - 2
Material - Forget it
Presentation - excellent

Mine should be shipped out any day from DeepDiscount in the states. Sorry to hear of your disenchantment with the disc. I do have most of Astrud Gilberto's wonderful Verve albums (a few on SHM~SACD) and while I agree your comparison is fair, I feel what made Astrud's albums so special were her incredible back up musicians and the arranging skills of some of the best in the business.

I DO wish AP or some other reissue company would release the SUPERB Getz au Go Go Live album on SACD featuring Astrud Gilberto's fabulous version of Girl From Ipanema. Sadly absent from the wonderful Getz/Gilberto hi res discography [at least on physical disc].

Music without passion: ugh!:yikes

Last edited:
The same label is also releasing another 5.0 SACD from Julienne Taylor - When We Are One.

Very mellow music, but well executed. Her version of Seal's Kiss from a Rose is quite lovely.

Julienne%20Taylor_zps9nfd6uq0.jpg

[video=youtube;pDj81wkz5fg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDj81wkz5fg[/video]

No idea if these two have 5.0, but I think they'll still be sweet SACDs to listen to during breezy Summer evenings.

Chlara_zpsxuzx2bq6.jpg

[video=youtube;W66puFLw2Wc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W66puFLw2Wc[/video]

Eldissa's Upside Down [Mch/Stereo SACD] is WRETCHED:yikes :nuke (n)

It starts of innocuously enough with a pleasant version of Abba's Dancing Queen and quickly devolves into horrific knockoffs of Disco Classics......on snooze control:zzzzz

YMCA is a total disaster and cause for those fine men who sing their bloody hearts out in the original.......TO GO STRAIGHT! Better to hear the originals RIGHT SIDE UP!

I want my money back!

Back