Ortofon test record

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good, I think I'll get one once I know I have a job! Mind you I'm not sure how many people will want up to 50kHz, apart from Adam for CD4 set-up - the Ortofon Black has a nude Shibata stylus (but around 600Euros). The square-wave test is good one for visually checking the complete mechanical/electronic system response, if you've an oscilloscope. I'd have quite liked to have seen a 'loud' dual-tone 20Hz & 20kHz test, which can show up poor tracking. I have an old Ortofon Red on an old Rega Planar 3.

Got an email today from the Ortofon people with a few new products ..

And, you know , if I had the money I'd DEFINITELY buy this Test LP, I mean, all the way up to 50 K???? Where do I sign????

What's your opinion?

You'd need quite a high sample rate on the sound card or the square wave test may not show what is happening to the rising & falling edges, which indicate a lot about the response of the system. You usually want to view up to the 11th harmonic (f11), square-waves are made up of 1xf1 + (1/3)xf3 + (1/5)xf5 +(1/7)xf7 + ...... etc. There are some pretty good and cheap oscilloscope cards for PCs though.

Or a sound card, I'd guess.

Last edited:
Those were just the first links in a google search. I'm not endorsing Needle Doctor. Sorry if it looked that way. Should have just posted the album names I suppose. :|

would you guys recommend this over the Hi Fi News record?

I was going to ask for the Hi Fi news test LP as a Xmas present (I know its not fun but at least you get what you want that way rather than more socks or pants) but I forgot to mention it and now its too late to prod his nibs into action so I'm probably just getting cuddles (and socks and pants :eek: )

would you guys recommend this over the Hi Fi News record?

I was going to ask for the Hi Fi news test LP as a Xmas present (I know its not fun but at least you get what you want that way rather than more socks or pants) but I forgot to mention it and now its too late to prod his nibs into action so I'm probably just getting cuddles (and socks and pants :eek: )

Socks and pants sound fine to me!!!!

The sound of records may have to do in part with overshoot at the cartridge level. A square wave is ideal to check for that.

square-wave-histogram.gif

Man...and I thought that "latinos" like us were the only ones prone to exaggerate!!!!!
This morning the UPS person came with this HUGE BOX...and my sleepy self went..."WTF??? I haven't ordered something big recently!!!" , until I looked at the shipper...ORTOFON!!!!
....soo, I made myself some coffee and I found it so blown out of proportion that I decided to share my FIRST UNBOXING (no video, sorry) EVER...

(Apologies, but I tried to use Photobucket but none of the links worked!!)

First here is the size of the tiny box...yes, that is an LP with me trying to play the yummy Ann Wilson in her prime....(drool..)...OK, back on track...LOOK AT THIS BOX!!!!

Photo on 2016-12-23 at 12.40.jpg

So , it was an OCEAN of Styrofoam peanuts (which I'll keep cause I have to ship a few things), and then, in the middle of the box with no protective sleeve was the RECORD!!! Nice and heavy....

Photo on 2016-12-23 at 12.45.jpg

And the most curious part , is that the center label (although you can't see it ...) there is SPACE for you to WRITE your results(?)...along with the contents of the program...

STARTED:

COMMAND:

APPROVED:
Photo on 2016-12-23 at 12.48.jpg

So, from what I gather, this LP is mostly for PROFESSIONAL purposes!!! Now I feel bad if I play it....OK, naaaahhh, I'll just feel odd. ...but I'm gonna record it on 96/24 and show you the results eventually...

Merry Christmas to me!!!!

Merry Christmas to my brothers and sister of this, my favorite website in the world!!!!

Sooooooo....
I decided to be brave and face the consequences...
And , the verdict is that , I hope that my other TT is serviceable (it was about 8 years ago!) and its motor is steadier than the one that I use now
OR
I'm gonna need a new TT...which is as a LOT of dough cause I'm a "Linear tracking" kinda man and getting a decently priced one is gonna cost me a LOT!

Any suggestions for a decently priced LT TT would be appreciated...

Problems...quite a few, but an especially worrying one...quite a bit of "wow" on the motor, discovered while playing back the square wave.
Frequency wise, it's fine , but the channel separation goes to hell in a handbasket at around 10K (!)- and , curiously enough, there's more bleed from R to L that from L to R.

Here is what it looks like:

OM40_zps9bjfg5da.jpg

Until 1:40 - 4 sweeps L, R, L, R from 500 Hz to 50K
At 3:30 - 2 Reference tones on each channel (look at those harmonics..and crosstalk!)

At 7:55 on both channels a 350 Hz Signal recorded at increasing peak amplitudes of 50,60,70,80,90 and 100 Micrometers for lateral modulation monitoring (a LOT of fun...!!!)

At 9:05a square wave Form 2.7 duty cycle 3:7 (below)
OM40%20a_zpsapuoz8cg.jpg

So there...

But, let's give it a break...it's a Technics from the early 80's!!!!
I'm sure it has seen a lot of action!!!
Comments are , of course , welcome...please make them as nice as possible...
;)

:smokin

No overshoot, but maybe with a moving-coil cartridge...

Wish I could, but this model only uses a P-Mount cartridge, and If I remember correctly (please let me know if I'm wrong), this TT can only go that way...

Thank you for your feedback!

Cheers...

:smokin

Last edited:
Problems...quite a few, but an especially worrying one...quite a bit of "wow" on the motor, discovered while playing back the square wave.

Forgive the question if it's a stupid one: is the record pressed off centre?

Forgive the question if it's a stupid one: is the record pressed off centre?

Very good question, since I didn't check it while playing it,
AND
the strobe light shows a very steady movement....

It would be a bit questionable , you know, them being "Ortofon" and all, but , I wouldn't rule it out...thanks , Mike!!!!

The channel separation will deteriorate with increasing frequency, you get increased capacitive coupling with frequency so the high frequencies will tend to 'leak' between channels. As an example I've got an Ortofon Red on my TT, part of its spec below,

Output voltage at 1000 Hz, 5cm/sec. - 5,5 mV
Channel balance at 1 kHz - 1,5 dB
Channel separation at 1 kHz - 22 dB
Channel separation at 15 kHz - 15 dB
Frequency range at - 3dB - 20-22.000 Hz
Frequency response - 20-20.000 Hz + 3 / - 1 dB

https://www.ortofon.com/ortofon-2m-red-p-317-n-1579

Back