Weird ebay quad reel auction

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdmack

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quadraphonic-tape-LOT-8-Reel-to-Reel-7-1-2-IPS-/132032283088

Description:
Genre: Instrumental Electronica, Guitar Rock, Soundscape, Experimental, Spoken Word, Exotica, Space Lounge
Condition - LIKE NEW, created and sold by the ENOCH THE RAD, in his own home studio, each tape individually mixed by hand.
File Under DIY UNIQUE OUTSIDER INDIE AUTHENTIC UNDERGROUND HOME STUDIO RECORDINGS

Here is the artist's website:
http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=372126

Who wants to take a $99 chance.

(Is Mike Lynch a member here?)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quadraphonic-tape-LOT-8-Reel-to-Reel-7-1-2-IPS-/132032283088

Description:
Genre: Instrumental Electronica, Guitar Rock, Soundscape, Experimental, Spoken Word, Exotica, Space Lounge
Condition - LIKE NEW, created and sold by the ENOCH THE RAD, in his own home studio, each tape individually mixed by hand.
File Under DIY UNIQUE OUTSIDER INDIE AUTHENTIC UNDERGROUND HOME STUDIO RECORDINGS

Here is the artist's website:
http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=372126

Who wants to take a $99 chance.

(Is Mike Lynch a member here?)

I don't remember his name, but the guy behind these did make an appearance here on the QQ forum. I just wish this Enoch was as rad as the other Enoch. (Light).

yes still here! Enoch Light had an orchestra, or so he advertised - he is radder by far. My name was an invented by AcidPlanet.com when I joined, I just went with it back in 2002. Still crankin out tapes, looking for good music to produce in quad. I have a couple new artists coming up in 2017! Cheers and happy holidays.:cool:

btw if anybody wants to take a tape and review it on this website, I'd be happy to send you one gratis! I'd like to get feedback, opinions, criticisms, and advice on these from the community on what's right, what's wrong, how to make it better, etc. It would be fun and painful I'm sure, but I figure I could make some friends and fans out of it. Each one is made from blanks purchased off ebay with pasted labels, and considerably lo-brow compared to what the regular aficianado is after, but maybe you'd like to add an original handmade oddity to your collection. Consider these the ugly Christmas sweaters of quad reels, I don't know.:mad:@:

Curious: since we have easy access to technology that helps us produce 5.1...why the preference to mixdown to an old standard from the '70s, since so many potential multichannel fans and casual multi-"capable" listeners' speakers setups do not match the old quad "right-left-front-back" arrangement?

Isn't that a little like releasing your music on an Edison cylinder for Record Store Day?

Curious: since we have easy access to technology that helps us produce 5.1...why the preference to mixdown to an old standard from the '70s, since so many potential multichannel fans and casual multi-"capable" listeners' speakers setups do not match the old quad "right-left-front-back" arrangement?

Isn't that a little like releasing your music on an Edison cylinder for Record Store Day?
Yes but there is a small group of people who think anything new sucks. Old school is always better. They listen to records, 8 track tapes, watch Beta machines and drive 55 T-birds.

Calling your bluff here...just because somebody likes "Lassie" better in black-and-white than color, doesn't mean he's going to go looking for a black-and-white set. To further the analogy, then let's say yes, you prefer to mix in Quad, for people with 21st-century audio systems. So at the very least, are you mixing with the mindset that the speakers your audience will be listening to are two in front, left and right, and two off to the side behind them also to their further left and their further right? Or, are you going to staunchly defend the original Quadrophonic schematic of one in the front, one directly behind, and one each on either side?

Yeah, I suppose you could wait patiently for the listener to move his speakers around, or turn his listening chair 45-degrees in either direction in order to fulfill your requirements. But...good luck with that.

I guess what I'm saying is, I'm not sure your answer really addressed my question, and I'd like to give you another shot at it now that I've tried to be more exact in my query. Honestly not trying to be a tool here, I'm just interested in your thinking process.

Calling your bluff here...just because somebody likes "Lassie" better in black-and-white than color, doesn't mean he's going to go looking for a black-and-white set. To further the analogy, then let's say yes, you prefer to mix in Quad, for people with 21st-century audio systems. So at the very least, are you mixing with the mindset that the speakers your audience will be listening to are two in front, left and right, and two off to the side behind them also to their further left and their further right? Or, are you going to staunchly defend the original Quadrophonic schematic of one in the front, one directly behind, and one each on either side?

Yeah, I suppose you could wait patiently for the listener to move his speakers around, or turn his listening chair 45-degrees in either direction in order to fulfill your requirements. But...good luck with that.

I guess what I'm saying is, I'm not sure your answer really addressed my question, and I'd like to give you another shot at it now that I've tried to be more exact in my query. Honestly not trying to be a tool here, I'm just interested in your thinking process.
Just passing by the thread here, the fact that a tape is sold and market bears another one being made is it's own justification. And yes, I know of at least one person who wants a black and white old TV for his lobby, to use with a player and modulator to run old TV shows. Maybe it's nostalgia about the TV, but not everyone gets the point,, no matter, no worries.

bit confused, are these Enoch The Rad Quads mixed in a "diamond" then?
(i.e. with "right-left-front-back" = Front Centre, Rear Centre, Side Left and Side Right)
as opposed to more common Quad with Front Left, Front Right, Rear Left and Rear Right? The latter Quad arrangement is quite backwards compatible with modern 5.1 setups, so shouldnt be any problem playing a large proportion of Quads on a 6-ch config with FL/FR/C/LFE/SL/SR, including these Enoch Rads if they are mixed with the channels intended to be played back on speakers setup in an FL/FR/SL/SR arrangement.

I've never heard of a Diamond arrangement, it seems simpler to re-position the listener's chair 45 degrees - maybe I am weird...

It's not a preference that I work in traditional quad at this point in time, I've only done stereo mixes before and I don't have a 5.1 point of reference (yet).
I do have a 70s quad point of reference because my mom worked at GE in Daytona Beach back then, and they got me a GE quad 8 track system with four speakers one Christmas. It was really cool, and I had the Sabbath Paranoid and BOC Tyranny Q8s. They were mind blowing, much better listening experiences compared to the stereo releases. 40+ years later I'm messing around re-mixing in quad with my Korg D888 and the Akai GX-280D-SS. I like it, I understand some people won't.

My other motivation is this. I'm looking around on ebay one day and I see these super high prices on quad reel to reel tapes and I'm like WTF...really? lol these guys would probably like a little something different, maybe in a more reasonable price range.:mad:@:

Diamond shape is weird, turn chair so you have speakers in each of four corners, speakers facing center.

I'll get around to 5.1 later, gotta let this quad tape medium run it's course before I try digital discs. I still want to put out some channel cassettes too for you guys with the old 4 channel recorders like the Tascam Porta Studios and such. Anybody got music in those formats?:mad:@:

I have been doing for a lot longer than willing to admit, and never in my life have anyone suggested a speaker in front and back and one on either side. Maybe some weird japanese or russian matrix came up with such insanity, but that was never used here in anything i remember.

I have been doing for a lot longer than willing to admit, and never in my life have anyone suggested a speaker in front and back and one on either side. Maybe some weird japanese or russian matrix came up with such insanity, but that was never used here in anything i remember.

Wasn't that the original Dynaquad diamond?

Wasn't that the original Dynaquad diamond?

I saw a drawing somewhere that showed it as diamond (but I don't see how that could be decoded unless there was a derived center channel), and one version of early theater surround was that way (maybe that was three-channel). But I think it is safe to say that no system marketed in the US suggested that placement, and certainly when anyone refers to "quadraphonic" the expected implication is of the standard LF, RF, RR, LR configuration. I mean, that is common usage. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadraphonic_sound

Maybe there is a topic here for one of those obscure format lists, how many four-channel surround music recordings were intended to be reproduced in the diamond configuration? Any at all?

Sorry for any thread hijacking. :)

I don't think Enoch The Rad mentions mixing his work to a "diamond" playback sound field anywhere, he can speak for himself but my assumption would be it is mixed to the traditional quad speaker placement...which we all (almost all...) know is not a diamond. Now, someone might question the release being on r2r tape, but that is a different story and to each their own. :mad:@:

I say put the speakers where you like them. My only goal in mixing is to keep it discrete/separated, and keep all four speakers firing so that I don't send the listener off to check for a bad connection.

ENOCH THE RAD Tapes marked down, on sale $10 each on ebay this weekend! Lot deals available too, or buy direct and save even more.:banana:

finally, another sale yesterday...I was starting to wonder if my tape niche had dried up. Slowly moving towards surround sound disc burning. I'm still in VISTA on my laptop with 1 HDMI and 1 usb2 port available for connections - any recomendations as to a external disc burner and software for the job?

Back