2016 Your Top 5 (or more,) Surround Issues/Reissues

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chicago - QUADIO Box set (PABD),
Tower Of Power - Ain't Nothin' Stoppin' Us Now (Surround SACD),
Jeff Beck - Wired (Surround SACD),
Love & Rockets - Seventh Dream Of Teenage Heaven (PABD),
Blue Oyster Cult - Secret Treaties (Surround SACD)

edit: hang on.. did I misunderstand fizzywizzywoowoo's post? :mad:@:

those were my Top 5 fave 2016 Surround releases..

for 2017 predictions I'll need to get my crystal balls out.. and its a bit cold outside for that right now :eek:

WooWoofizzywigwammery;

Hey if someone wants to start a predictions-2017 thread I'm game. Wonder what to predict ?:confused:

I was going over my aquisitions for the year last night when suddenly I relized I put 2017 instead of 2016 on the thread.! Cheesis k Reist .....What was I smokin ! :smokin:rolleyes:

Top 2016

PINK FLOYD-MEDDLE
PINK FLOYD-POMPEII
JETHRO TULL-STAND UP
ALAN PARSONS-TALES OF MYSTERY AND IMAGINATION
XTC-SKYLARKING
FLEETWOOD MAC-MIRAGE

YES-TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS
THE PIXIES-DOOLITTLE
LOVE AND ROCKETS-7TH DREAM OF TEENAGE..
THE COLLECTION-QUAD (SONY/RCA)
JEFF BECK-WIRED

Fizzo

My 5.1 favorites of 2016:
1. XTC - Skylarking
2. Pink Floyd - Meddle (This would have been tied for #1 if not for that awkward moment during "One of These Days".)
3. King Crimson - On (and Off) the Road
4. Fleetwood Mac - Mirage
5. Steve Hackett - Please Don't Touch & Spectral Mornings (I didn't get the Premonitions box, so these were 2016 for me!)
6. Anthony Phillips - Sides & 1984
7. Mike Oldfield - The 1984 Suite
8. Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans

My "realistic" 2016 wish list:
1. Tears For Fears - The Seeds of Love
2. Fleetwood Mac - Tango in the Night
3. XTC - whichever master tapes they find! But I'd really love either Black Sea or The Big Express....and I certainly wouldn't thumb my nose at English Settlement.
4. King Crimson - The ConstruKction of Light and The Power to Believe
5. Tony Banks - Bankstatement, Still, Strictly Inc. (Whatever happened to his reissue series? Is it still happening?)
6. Jethro Tull - Songs From the Wood & Heavy Horses
7. Roxy Music - Roxy Music (which hopefully turns out to be the first in a series!)

My "unrealistic" 2016 wish list:
1. Kate Bush
2. Pink Floyd (mixed by Andy Jackson)
3. Lindsey Buckingham
4. Peter Gabriel
5. Crowded House / Split Enz
6. ELO
7. Boomtown Rats
8. Supertramp
9. George Michael
10. Oh...and maybe something from that fab combo from Liverpool that sang "Hey Jude." Can't remember their name..... :rolleyes:

So......no sooner do I post this then Tales of Mystery and Imagination finally lands in my mailbox. Only given it one listen so far. First impression is that it is very nice, although I might have trouble rating it a 10. Will need a few more listens. I'd probably put it at #4 or #5 on the above list.....

We might get Eye in the Sky for its 35th anniversary in 2017, I think Sally Woolfson mentions this one will be the next deluxe edition in Tales's book

I just want to mention a few other 2016 stellar surround/quad wonders.

ANTHONY PHILLIPS-WISE AFTER THE EVENT
B.T.-ELECTRONIC OPUS
KLAUSE SCHULZE, PETE NAMLOOK-DARK SIDE OF THE MOOG VOL ELEVEN(dts cd)
STEVE HACKETT-SPECTRAL MORNINGS
STEVE HACKETT-PLEASE DON'T TOUCH
LAURA NYRO-13TH CONFESSION, ELI'S COMING (QUAD)

It's a rarity indeed when we can get a "shelved" quad from the sixties !!
Equally rare that in 2016 !! we can still get a DTS CD !!

More wonders will surely arrive in 2017.:sun

My Top 5 would be:
Chicago - Quadio
Rob Reed - Sanctuary II (AMAZING!!!!)
Yes - Tales
Jeff Beck - Wired
Pink Floyd - Meddle

My 5 would be in a non ranked order;

Chicago - Quadio
Jeff Beck Wired
Temple of the Dog ST
Steven Wilson 4 1/2
King Crimson Beat

My top 5 in 2016:
1. Big Big Train - Stone and Steel
2. Jethro Tull - Stand Up
3. Chicago - Quadio
4. Steven Wilson - 4 1/2
5. Robert Reed - Sanctuary II

Quadio 2016
Meddle
Yes-Tales
JT-Stand Up
TOAPP/Beat Box

Still disappointed that the Colorado Symphony's reportedly-immersive mix of Beethoven's 9th didn't poke out of its' groundhog-hole this year; both camps (Symph and Skywalker Sound) say it's still a "go", just awaiting the right time.

But, I started the year with Zappa's "Roxy"*, and when I heard we lost Isao Tomita I picked-up the three biggest, in case a run on product would ruin my chances (the big 3 being "Clair de Lune", "Pictures" and "Planets"); for me, that was as satisfying a purchase as the Chicago box). Now I need to get crackin' on whatever Jean-Michel Jarre cooked-up to emulate "Oxygene". Peter Gabriel's orchestral performance sits awaiting the 5.1 system downstairs to get complete, and the 3D glasses to arrive.

*(yes, I know it was actually 2015, but then a case could be made that it was actually "from 2003"...which was how long we were awaiting that "imminent" release)

Most of 2016 was catching-up, having spent the previous 5 years reserving all my budget for curating the playlist of my now-shuttered internet radio station (the CRB dammed up my stream!), and there's still a lot to grab before all my OOP goals are drained from the warehouses and dusty corners they're lurking in right now. I'm almost grateful that Scheiner's on sabbatical, AF is concentrating once again on titles I could care less about, and nobody's cloned Steven Wilson yet; I can't keep pace with all this quadro-multichannelry as is!

My next focus will be on 5.1 concerts; I just scored the Elbow "Seldom-Seen Kid" with the BBC orch: I need to snag Yello's "Touch" and Hooverphonic's orchestral date with Noemie Wolfs, and hoping against hope that Above & Beyond re-release their stunning "Acoustic" concert. Don't get me started on the long-departed blu-rays of The "Concert for George".

So, yeah...I can bide my damn time on "Songs From The Wood" and "Seeds of Love." :)

1. Chicago Quadio. What a value, and what a great set, particularly since Rhino replaced faulty discs.
2. XTC Skylarking. One of my favorite albums of all time.
3. Tull, Stand Up. I like the earlier Tull a great deal.
4. Pink Floyd, Meddle. It has its flaws, but it was such an OH WOW surprise and had some great moments for me.
5. Technically a 2015 release, but I didn't hear it until 2016: The Allman Brothers, Idlewild South

My top three haven’t showed up on anyone else’s list so far:

1. Billy Cobham - Spectrum 4.0 SACD
Jazz fusion isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but the virtuosity of Tommy Bolin and Jan Hammer playing off each other with Billy is sublime, some of the best they ever recorded, in glorious period quad.
After wearing out two LPs and having the CD in constant rotation for decades, I’m so grateful for this.
The release that finally spurred me to set up a full-volume surround listening room man cave and exceeded my wildest hopes.

2. Jethro Tull - Aqualung 40th Anniversary Adapted Edition DTS 24/96
Two DVDs with both vintage 4.1 and contemporary Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes, bonus material, 80-page booklet full of interviews, tour memorabilia, photos…
IMHO, release of the year for value and quality.

3. Various Artists - The Collection, An Adventure in Sound 4.0 SACD
Worth the price for fourteen minutes of Bitches Brew alone, and the premier cut from Abraxas.
The rest an eclectic range of familiar vintage tracks that aided me in setting up my system in 4.0 and trying out bass management options.

A great demo disc to slap on for visitors.
I skip through half the cuts now, this one suffered in the polls because of its extreme variety.
Isley Bros, EWF, O’Jays, HH balance out the weaker tunes.
As I’m unlikely to buy full albums by them, a good value.

Given Audio Fidelity’s throttling back on surround in the near term, happy to have this.

4. Chicago Quadio

5. Jethro Tull - Stand Up 96/24 DTS
My biggest surprise of the year, was ambivalent when I ordered, but WOW.
I remember the first time my friend played this for me when it was released, listened to it back in the day, but never owned it in any format.
Delightful to hear the full album in surround after 40+ years of only casual radio play of LITP.
Again, the bonus material and 112-page book are unsurpassed.

6. Yes - TFTO

Back