2016 Your Top 5 (or more,) Surround Issues/Reissues

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
2017 has been an amazing year for Quad and Five one reissues.and new releases :51banana:

There are plenty to choose from that have been released this year. So give us your top 5 or so, list of quads, surround. If you think you want to pick top ten, then by all means do so.

We can see what's the most popular with everyone, (maybe even TOP DISC) so don't be shy. List your faves of the year!!

-fizzy-wiggin-out-for-quad.

2017 has been an amazing year for Quad and Five one reissues.and new releases :51banana:

There are plenty to choose from that have been released this year. So give us your top 5 or so, list of quads, surround. If you think you want to pick top ten, then by all means do so.

We can see what's the most popular with everyone, (maybe even TOP DISC) so don't be shy. List your faves of the year!!

How can we list the best surround releases of 2017 when 2016 is not even over with yet? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know this was not your intention but you know this could be fun predicting top disk's of 2017, wonder how close it will be to actual as there will be releases we do not know about.
Here's my top 2017:

Steven Wilson new album 2017
Blackfield V
Tears For Fears-Seeds of Love
XTC-Black Sea(just a guess or whatever the next XTC mystery album is)
Roxy Music-Roxy Music(ok maybe this one is for year 2020)

Chicago - QUADIO Box set (PABD),
Tower Of Power - Ain't Nothin' Stoppin' Us Now (Surround SACD),
Jeff Beck - Wired (Surround SACD),
Love & Rockets - Seventh Dream Of Teenage Heaven (PABD),
Blue Oyster Cult - Secret Treaties (Surround SACD)

edit: hang on.. did I misunderstand fizzywizzywoowoo's post? :mad:@:

those were my Top 5 fave 2016 Surround releases..

for 2017 predictions I'll need to get my crystal balls out.. and its a bit cold outside for that right now :eek:

I know this was not your intention but you know this could be fun predicting top disk's of 2017, wonder how close it will be to actual as there will be releases we do not know about.
Here's my top 2017:

Steven Wilson new album 2017
Blackfield V
Tears For Fears-Seeds of Love
XTC-Black Sea(just a guess or whatever the next XTC mystery album is)
Roxy Music-Roxy Music(ok maybe this one is for year 2020)

Besides all those, I'm greatly looking forward to "Songs from the Wood" by Jethro Tull in the Spring! (Even though it's likely to just be a lossy DVD-V disc...)

Also, based on the recent Facebook pic, it looks like some more Gentle Giant remixes are definitely in the works, which is more cause for celebration!
And finally I do hope that the current 5 Yes remixes have sold well enough that SW gets to take a crack at "Going for the One" for its 40th anniversary in 2017.

Additionally after listening to "Tales of Mystery and Imagination" a lot lately, I wonder if Alan Parsons can successfully convince Sony/Arista to let him remix the other Project albums in surround sound.
Besides that, I'm also hoping Fleetwood Mac continue their deluxe box set series (with surround sound) for (at least) "Tango in the Night" next year, but a deluxe box set for the '75 album would also be quite welcome too!

2016 has been an amazing year for Quad and Five one reissues.and new releases :51banana:

Ok, so after being a smart-ass earlier today, I will list my favorite surround releases of 2016:

Best 5.1 surround releases:
1) XTC - "Skylarking"
2) Yes - "Tales from Topographic Oceans"
3) The Alan Parsons Project - "Tales Of Mystery and Imagination"
4) Steven Wilson - "4 1/2"
5) Pink Floyd - "Meddle" ( ;) )

I can't really fully make a list of the best Quadraphonic releases for 2016 just cause I don't have the "Early Years" set from Pink Floyd (with "Atom Heart Mother" and "Echoes") and any of the Dutton Vocalion releases, but besides that, I'm especially grateful for the "Quadio" box set and the Japanese SACD of "Wired".

Some honorable mentions: I really love the 3CD/Blu-Ray reissue of "Out of Time" from R.E.M. Having the videos in 5.1 as well was really quite a big treat for me! It was also great to finally get the 5.1 mixes for "Beat" and "Three of a Perfect Pair" as part of the amazing "On & Off The Road" box set, and Biggest surprise would have to be the Blu-Ray audio disc of "A Head Full of Dreams" by Coldplay.

Finally, I'm currently enjoying the new Love & Rockets "Seventh Dream of Teenage Heaven" Blu-Ray, and I have a feeling I will be playing that one quite a bit for years to come! :)

Here and now in 2016:

Chicago - Quadio Box is out of the list, because this is above everything! :)

1) Pink Floyd - Meddle
2) XTC - Skylarking
3) Steve Hackett - Please Don't Touch
4) Yes - Tales
5) Gong - Rejoice I'm Dead

Crystal Ball's 2017 top 5:
1) STEELY DAN - THE ROYAL SCAM ;)
2) New S.Wilson Album
3) XTC - English Settlement
4) Pink Floyd - Animals
5) Yes - Going For The One

There is always hope! :)

Top five for 2016
Chicago Quadio
Talking Heads Brick
Layla
Mirage
Animals

Top five for 2017
Beatles box set
Tango in the Night
Joe Satriani box set
Meddle
Santana box set

ooooooooo......

A SANTANA BOX SET......(Excuse me while I slurp!)

Even if they do it "a la" Chicago Quadio box (which is EXCELLENT!), I already have all the SQs (as opposed to the Chicago ones, where I have CTA, IX and X)...

Crystal Ball's 2017 top 5:
1) STEELY DAN - THE ROYAL SCAM ;)
2) New S.Wilson Album
3) XTC - English Settlement
4) Pink Floyd - Animals
5) Yes - Going For The One

There is always hope! :)

After the debacle concerning the new 5.1 mixes that were supposed to be (officially) included in the "Early Years" box set, I'm not very confident that we'll ever get any new Pink Floyd 5.1 mixes again, but if there is an unreleased Quadraphonic mix sitting in the vaults, next year would certainly be the year to bring it out! :)

ooooooooo......

Even if they do it "a la" Chicago Quadio box (which is EXCELLENT!), I already have all the SQs (as opposed to the Chicago ones, where I have CTA, IX and X)...

I'm not confident we will see such a release from the main branches of Sony Music like we did with Chicago from Warner/Rhino, but maybe Sony Japan can release some Santana Multichannel SACDs in the 10" packages like they have been doing for Jeff Beck.
They would be expensive, but many of those Santana Quadraphonic mixes would be worth owning if they were released like that! :)

I'm not confident we will see such a release from the main branches of Sony Music like we did with Chicago from Warner/Rhino, but maybe Sony Japan can release some Santana Multichannel SACDs in the 10" packages like they have been doing for Jeff Beck.
They would be expensive, but many of those Santana Quadraphonic mixes would be worth owning if they were released like that! :)

Oh man - yes, expensive, but if that's the only way to get Santana in multi-channel...I'd be all over them. :banana:

my top 2017 surround issues/reissues I think (HOPE!) might include..

Tears For Fears/Seeds Of Love,
Roxy Music/Roxy Music,
Fleetwood Mac/Tango In The Night,
Jethro Tull/Songs From The Wood..

and any unreleased 5.1's (Steely Dan? EJ? etc..) or old Quads from AF/DV/Sony Japan/Rhino Quadio etc..

in any event I think 2017 should be pretty interesting for us..! :)

ooooooooo......

I have all of them also but I would still buy the box set on the day it was issued. I love Santana.

My 5.1 favorites of 2016:
1. XTC - Skylarking
2. Pink Floyd - Meddle (This would have been tied for #1 if not for that awkward moment during "One of These Days".)
3. King Crimson - On (and Off) the Road
4. Fleetwood Mac - Mirage
5. Steve Hackett - Please Don't Touch & Spectral Mornings (I didn't get the Premonitions box, so these were 2016 for me!)
6. Anthony Phillips - Sides & 1984
7. Mike Oldfield - The 1984 Suite
8. Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans

My "realistic" 2016 wish list:
1. Tears For Fears - The Seeds of Love
2. Fleetwood Mac - Tango in the Night
3. XTC - whichever master tapes they find! But I'd really love either Black Sea or The Big Express....and I certainly wouldn't thumb my nose at English Settlement.
4. King Crimson - The ConstruKction of Light and The Power to Believe
5. Tony Banks - Bankstatement, Still, Strictly Inc. (Whatever happened to his reissue series? Is it still happening?)
6. Jethro Tull - Songs From the Wood & Heavy Horses
7. Roxy Music - Roxy Music (which hopefully turns out to be the first in a series!)

My "unrealistic" 2016 wish list:
1. Kate Bush
2. Pink Floyd (mixed by Andy Jackson)
3. Lindsey Buckingham
4. Peter Gabriel
5. Crowded House / Split Enz
6. ELO
7. Boomtown Rats
8. Supertramp
9. George Michael
10. Oh...and maybe something from that fab combo from Liverpool that sang "Hey Jude." Can't remember their name..... :rolleyes:

How can we list the best surround releases of 2017 when 2016 is not even over with yet? ;)

Sorry for the confusion, Ryan. :rolleyes:

Of course I meant TwentySixteen 2016 !!!!

I was in a big hurry yesterday, and rapidly did up this thread just prior to logging out. For some reason I've had 17 on my mind all this month !!

If the moderater can......please correct my original thread to read 2016. Sorry for the screw up.

Fizzybeingveryfuzzy

Back