Ripping vinyl - GOS's FAQ!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
:mad:@:

I just took over another thread talking about ripping albums.....and well, the topic didn't belong. So, thought I'd start a thread here about ripping vinyl. I'm sure there are other threads where this is discussed...but I can't find them.

Adam made a comment about for a single album, he makes only 2 files. File 1 is side a, File 2 is side b.
So, as far as I can tell, he has a single file, that plays all songs on side a. As far as I can tell, this means he doesn't get so see the individual songs on side a, nor can he skip from song to song...if he wishes.

I may be right, or I may be wrong. I'm still not sure. In the meantime, Kap says (I think it was Kap) just use a cue file. Well, I don't know what a cue file is...don't know how to make one...don't know anything. Maybe a cue file is something that works alongside the single file that Adam has, and somehow converts it to show all songs? I dunno.

I have ripped several albums before in Audacity, and manually created the stops between songs, assigned song name, etc. To me, it's quite a bit of work and a big hassle. I had asked if there is an easier way.

Anyway - I'm rambling a bit. One question at a time.

Let's assume I do what Adam does, and simply rip side a as a whole and that is my file. What options do I have from that point forward to visualize the individual songs while listening in Foobar?

Jeez - if you can all follow my drift, you're better than me. LMAO!

A cue can work with mulitple files or a single file. It's a basic text file with a certain syntax, but in layman's terms it says track x is on this file and starts at this time point on the file. I don't think it will help you pick and choose which files you want to sync to say a USB stick for the car, but if you're happy to have the whole album/side then you'd be fine depending on the software. You can use them for indexing to burn audio CD-Rs, and put hidden tracks in the countdown to track one too.

A cue can work with mulitple files or a single file. It's a basic text file with a certain syntax, but in layman's terms it says track x is on this file and starts at this time point on the file. I don't think it will help you pick and choose which files you want to sync to say a USB stick for the car, but if you're happy to have the whole album/side then you'd be fine depending on the software. You can use them for indexing to burn audio CD-Rs, and put hidden tracks in the countdown to track one too.

OK. So next dumb question. I assume it's not simply opening a word document and typing all that info in. It's a certain file type that knows to look from cue to file and do what you say. So, again, where do I start? For sure not with a blank word document....

You can create one in Word but it would need to be saved as a text file. I can't remember the file extension, it might be .cue - I haven't used one in ages. Some software will create them for you. Let me have a quick look in audacity...

EDIT: It doesn't, but this might help you - http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Cue_sheets

:mad:@:

I just took over another thread talking about ripping albums.....and well, the topic didn't belong. So, thought I'd start a thread here about ripping vinyl. I'm sure there are other threads where this is discussed...but I can't find them.

Adam made a comment about for a single album, he makes only 2 files. File 1 is side a, File 2 is side b.
So, as far as I can tell, he has a single file, that plays all songs on side a. As far as I can tell, this means he doesn't get so see the individual songs on side a, nor can he skip from song to song...if he wishes.

I may be right, or I may be wrong. I'm still not sure. In the meantime, Kap says (I think it was Kap) just use a cue file. Well, I don't know what a cue file is...don't know how to make one...don't know anything. Maybe a cue file is something that works alongside the single file that Adam has, and somehow converts it to show all songs? I dunno.

I have ripped several albums before in Audacity, and manually created the stops between songs, assigned song name, etc. To me, it's quite a bit of work and a big hassle. I had asked if there is an easier way.

Anyway - I'm rambling a bit. One question at a time.

Let's assume I do what Adam does, and simply rip side a as a whole and that is my file. What options do I have from that point forward to visualize the individual songs while listening in Foobar?

Jeez - if you can all follow my drift, you're better than me. LMAO!

I was chopping them all up into individual tracks, then doing Side 1 & 2 files in a folder/container, now I'm currently only making them into one long 96/24 Flac file of both sides conjoined (I clean and faff around with the record so much before recording it in that one casual flick of the wrist - thank you Freddie :eek: - and I'm onto the next side and just do it all in real time and literally all I do is cut and shut the two halves, edit out the lead in and run out grooves and the very worst of the pops and clicks and Bobs your Uncle and Fanny be tender with my love.. unless the vinyl is a total noisefest like the CD-4 of Planet Waves with wooshy swoosh-ness in the in-between bands where there are Band noodles segues and such.. total PITA.. v.tempted to get a Q8 deck etc..blah blah).

In Audacity, you used to have the option to export one long two-channel file (last time I tried I couldn't get it to work for Quad/5.1 stuff) into separate tracks with album/artist info etc. using a manual marker system, or at least you used to be able to, its long time since I did stereo only needledrops so things may have changed in that respect, let me check and get rrrrright back to you!

This is a cue sheet, meant to be saved as .cue
Think it is self-explanatory enough, the only non-intuitive thing is that, since the cuesheet was born for Compact Disc, the time format is

mm:ss:ff

minutes, seconds, frames - where frames can be from 00 to 74

Notepad.exe is a wonderful cue sheet editor.

PERFORMER "Neil Young"
TITLE "Harvest (DVDA-RBCD)"
REM DATE 1972
FILE "Neil Young - Harvest (DVDA-RBCD).flac" WAVE
TRACK 01 AUDIO
PERFORMER "Neil Young"
TITLE "Out on the weekend"
INDEX 01 00:00:00
TRACK 02 AUDIO
PERFORMER "Neil Young"
TITLE "Harvest"
INDEX 01 04:35:00