2017 5.1 / Quad Predictions

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a matter of fact, the Doobie Bros are touring with Chicago this year. If a Doobies Quadio box set does indeed come to pass, they should call the tour the Quadio tour! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would be great! And they could put musicians and the background singers in all four corners of the venue with the lead singer center stage. It would be quadiotastic!!!

:ugham:

Anniversary wishes
....some great multi channel projects for BIG sellers, any takers????
oh how I wish...
Beatles - Sgt Pepper
Cream - Disraeli Gears
Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced AND Axis-Bold as Love
Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow
Jackson Browne - Saturate Before Using
Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street
Steely Dan - Can't Buy a Thrill
Stevie Wonder - Talking Book
Steve Miller - Book of Dreams
Steely Dan - Aja
Styx- Grand Illusion
Supertramp - Even in the Quietest Moments
Yes - Going for the One
The Clash - Combat Rock
John Cougar - American Fool
Duran Duran - Rio
Michael Jackson - Thriller
Paul McCartney - Tug of War
The Cure - Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me
Def Leppard - Hysteria
GnR- Appetite for Destruction
Prince - Sign of the Times
U2 - The Joshua Tree

Anniversary wishes
....some great multi channel projects for BIG sellers, any takers????
oh how I wish...
Beatles - Sgt Pepper
Cream - Disraeli Gears
Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced AND Axis-Bold as Love
Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow
Jackson Browne - Saturate Before Using
Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street
Steely Dan - Can't Buy a Thrill
Stevie Wonder - Talking Book
Steve Miller - Book of Dreams
Steely Dan - Aja
Styx- Grand Illusion
Supertramp - Even in the Quietest Moments
Yes - Going for the One
The Clash - Combat Rock
John Cougar - American Fool
Duran Duran - Rio
Michael Jackson - Thriller
Paul McCartney - Tug of War
The Cure - Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me
Def Leppard - Hysteria
GnR- Appetite for Destruction
Prince - Sign of the Times
U2 - The Joshua Tree

There are so many in this list that will never happen (for a variety of reasons), but there's a few in here that could be possible and hold some promise if done right.

-Cream: "Disraeli Gears". "Fresh Cream" is being reissued this month with a Blu-Ray audio disc. There's no surround on it, but Bill Levenson (the producer of that set) appears to be big on surround as he's brought a lot of great mixes into being, so if the tapes still exist for DG and hold promise for surround (usually meaning 8 tracks or more), then who knows? That would be a cool release!
-Yes: "Going for the One". No one knows what's going to happen with the future of the Yes/Panegyric reissue series (if there even is a future), but given the quality of the previous releases, one could hope there is a continuation, and this album represents the most obvious choice moving forward.
-Finally, Duran Duran and the Cure are two of my favorite groups from the 1980s, so I would definitely be over the moon if either one of those groups opened up to having their material mixed in surround.

:)

Some really heavy Death Metal would be great. Septicflesh please!!

More Katatonia, the early albums.

Opeth Orchid

I agree with Paul Sinclair's prediction (from SDE) that there will probably be an "Automatic for the People" deluxe edition from R.E.M. released this year for its 25th anniversary, and I certainly hope that it will include a 5.1 surround Blu-Ray disc with all music videos and documentaries just like the "Out of Time" reissue had.

I agree with Paul Sinclair's prediction (from SDE) that there will probably be an "Automatic for the People" deluxe edition from R.E.M. released this year for its 25th anniversary, and I certainly hope that it will include a 5.1 surround Blu-Ray disc with all music videos and documentaries just like the "Out of Time" reissue had.

Instant purchase... :banana:

Hmmmm,

Maybe, just maybe we will see the 5.1 mix of David Bowie's Low with the re-edition set, and it has been mentioned prior that Lodger was announced back in 03 as an upcoming 5.1., so that one as well in the three disc edition for 2017 of Low, Heroes, and Lodger, maybe all three !
With Tony Visconti's recent announcement of a 5.1 Blackstar possibility, these discs getting a surround release are a possibility.
Sure would be welcome news.:D

Hmmmm,

Maybe, just maybe we will see the 5.1 mix of David Bowie's Low with the re-edition set, and it has been mentioned prior that Lodger was announced back in 03 as an upcoming 5.1., so that one as well in the three disc edition for 2017 of Low, Heroes, and Lodger, maybe all three !
With Tony Visconti's recent announcement of a 5.1 Blackstar possibility, these discs getting a surround release are a possibility.
Sure would be welcome news.:D

Oh yes! That would make a box set like that an absolute must buy for me!
However, there were previously released surround mixes they could have included in the previous box sets, and those ended up being CD (and vinyl) only.
I do hope things change from now on though...

I'm surprised no one has drudged up the "Is Audio Fidelity going to release any more multi-channel SACD in 2017" topic. Yeah, I know. But, last I heard on this forum, word was they would, but at a very, very limited number and more stretched out.

Well....has that changed? Have they decided to not release any whatsoever? Hmmmm. :violin

I'm surprised no one has drudged up the "Is Audio Fidelity going to release any more multi-channel SACD in 2017" topic. Yeah, I know. But, last I heard on this forum, word was they would, but at a very, very limited number and more stretched out.

Well....has that changed? Have they decided to not release any whatsoever? Hmmmm. :violin

Let me just say this.
When it comes to AF releasing more Multichannel SACD releases, I'll believe it when I see it...
(Same goes for Analogue Productions too)

...Maybe, just maybe we will see the 5.1 mix of David Bowie's Low with the re-edition set, and it has been mentioned prior that Lodger was announced back in 03 as an upcoming 5.1., so that one as well in the three disc edition for 2017 of Low, Heroes, and Lodger, maybe all three !

Any chance that, with the artist no longer in the position to sign-off on the work, that Eno will have the wherwithal to strike while the interest is spiking, and be in a position to give a go-ahead?

Any chance that, with the artist no longer in the position to sign-off on the work, that Eno will have the wherwithal to strike while the interest is spiking, and be in a position to give a go-ahead?

Eno has no control whatsoever when it comes to the David Bowie albums he contributed to, and that was (largely) the extent of his role. He is not credited as a producer on any of those albums, so ultimately the decisions on what will be reissued and in what manner will fall to Tony Visconti, Bowie's estate, and the distributing label (Parlophone)
Now of course, Eno can definitely champion the release of those three albums in surround sound (as can Visconti) and if it comes to pass, Visconti may seek out Eno for advice, but Visconti and Bowie's estate certainly do not need Eno's approval on any of this.

Another prediction/wish for this year:
Following on the 3CD/Blu-Ray edition of "Idlewild South" in 2015, the 4CD edition of "Brothers & Sisters" in 2013, and the full set of Fillmore East concerts in 2014, I would love for Universal to release a super deluxe set of "Eat A Peach" this year.
Besides including the 2004 5.1 mix (or maybe a new 5.1 mix from Kevin Reeves), if the master tape still exists, they could also include the Quadraphonic mix for the first time on an optical release, and if all that was included on a Blu-Ray disc, I think there are a lot of us who would buy that, am I right?

Back