2017 5.1 / Quad Predictions

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
:rolleyes:(y)

Well it's time once again, just like last year, to give the forum your predictions for 2017 (that's TWENTYSEVENTEEN), yes I must remind myself that next year is 2017 and this year is 2016, oh boy.:couch

So any way, what we might see..

Roxy Music-Roxy Music
Jethro Tull-This Was
Jethro Tull-Songs From The Wood
Yes-Time And A Word
Santana-something in quad (via vocalion, or Sony Japan
Doobie Brothers-Quad box via Rhino
Mike Oldfield-he always has something in the can
XTC-English Settlement

and more from-Alan Parsons, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Chris Squire.

And ALWAYS surprises.:yikes

Last years predictions here.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?21212-2016-Predictions&highlight=predictions

Oh, man I don't even wanna know all the cashola I'm gonna need for this next year..

Since I know they are already MIXED, I'm looking forward to:
Tull- SFTW
TFF- TSOL

Anything else will be BONUUUUSS!!!!

I assume this is you wishing, rather than having heard something? :)

Predictions, are both an educated guess and a hopeful want. Those I list are not totally impossible-not out of the realm of upcoming release reality.
Sometimes it's got to do with what the labels are thinking (or not thinking), and in todays surround and quad releases we have "an artist's driven" quad interest once again.
CD'S are not selling like they used to, which really bodes well for us quadraphiles as there is suddenly money to be made by us purchasing SPECIALTY sets contanng quad and 5.1 recordings.
Oh yes, I do think we NOW have a say at the upcoming releases table, which means more quad (no longer a dirty word), more surround.

Oh, man I don't even wanna know all the cashola I'm gonna need for this next year..

Since I know they are already MIXED, I'm looking forward to:
Tull- SFTW
TFF- TSOL

Anything else will be BONUUUUSS!!!!

Me too !! Need money for this quad addiction.

Wonder if I can harvest some organs.:rolleyes:

Yes, you can...as long as they are not mine.... :yikes

Awww,

I'm only asking for one eye, one kidney, maybe a limb or two (u gots 4):mad:@:
Ol Doc Fizz, would try and make it as painless as possible......... (probably declare DOA on all candidates, got all these blank death certificates you know? )
Oh what we won't do for our quads !!!:51banana::friday:

New Steven Wilson album.
Roxy Music
Tears for Fears, Seeds of Love
Some Jethro Tull
Perhaps some King Crimson box
And hopefully more Pineapple Thief and Riverside in 5.1.

As for surprises, this year Bruce Soord has worked with artists like Fire Grden and They Might Be Owls. Both excellent albums. Therefore I do not mind when he will surprise us more in 2017.

The same for Jim Newhouser, that Winsconsin surround scene needs to be heard by the rest of the world. Keep them coming Jim.

Aside from the usual suspects, I'd really like to see Audio Fidelity shift into 5th Gear, and get more aggressive with both their release schedule, and their choices. When I think of the potential goldmines out there not jealously guarded by the major giants, it's frustrating. I continue to believe that, were the projects chosen not just for their adjacency to some over-released artists' bigger record from the '70s, but rather on the revelation a cleaner exposure to multichannel music could make for opening up the albums themselves to further scrutiny, I feel that the titles themselves could make the case for digging deeper into the vaults.

Thanks, overlords of obvious, we've already heard Pet Sounds, Chicago II and Tubular Bells...before you start preparing the same damn titles for their inevitable re-release in Dolby Atmos...howabout let's try some other artists before their most passionate fans have to shift their budgeting from re-acquiring their old favorites, to shoring-up their renegotiated Medicare coverage!

Sometimes I get the feeling that some of these labels are now just sitting on their quad (and in come cases, 5.1) mixes, purely out of embarrassment that they didn't jump in back when it might have made a difference ("Dave Clark Syndrome", anyone?).

What I wouldn't give for the industry to try building up a head of steam all on their own, instead of relying on Robert Fripp, Steven Wilson and Marshall Blonstein to do their job for them...(so, yeah, for 2017, I predict these people will just end up having to do more of that.).

Aside from what is already on the release schedule (Blackfield, Bowness, Oldfield) I'd like to see:
Mott the Hoople - The Hoople quad mix
Todd Rundgren - Something/Anything quad mix
Blackfield - now that Aviv seems to have come around how about a blu-ray with the earlier albums all on one disc?
Roxy Music - surely this will finally be the year this gets the go ahead????
King Crimson - Power to Believe

"Something from Mike Oldfield" isn't really a prediction - "Return To Ommadawn" comes out January 20.

My prediction - which is something that I have no knowledge of and of which I am just guessing - is a Dutton Vocalion release of the quad mix of "The Gil Evans Orchestra Plays the Music of Jimi Hendrix"

I will also predict (as I did in another thread) that the next XTC 5.1 package will be "Black Sea."

Finally, I'll predict that no new Yes album will be remixed and reissued in 2017 (Steven Wilson usually will say he's working on something but can't say what when a Yes album is in the works)

I know what's coming from the KCrimson camp next year!

AND I AIN'T TELLING..... :=P

Nana nana nah nah (blowing rapsberry)

:banana:

Santana Quadio

Santana
Abraxas
III
Caravanserai
Welcome
Borboletta
Amigos
Festival
Moonflower

AND I AIN'T TELLING..... :=P

Nana nana nah nah (blowing rapsberry)

:banana:

I'm kinda hoping it's an "Islands" box set. (with Blu-Ray)
That's a long forgotten album that I have really come to love over the years. :)

Santana Quadio

Santana
Abraxas
III
Caravanserai
Welcome
Borboletta
Amigos
Festival
Moonflower

Moonflower? IIRC it was never mixed in Quad (but , now that we've seen all kinds of things we thought didn't exist, I wouldn't be surprised!)

Three titles that would "complete" the set...

Santana and Buddy Miles Live
Illuminations
Love Devotion and Surrender

Last edited:
another one to hope for - Goldfrapp have a new album on the way so maybe they'll do another 5.1 dvd set, hopefully not just in a $100 box set.

Moonflower? IIRC it was never mixed in Quad (but , now that we've seen all kinds of thought we thought didn't exist, I wouldn't be surprised!)

Illuminations

Well, if Discogs.com is anything to go off of, you're absolutely right, Kap'n
"Moonflower" was never released in Quadraphonic.

Moonflower? IIRC it was never mixed in Quad (but , now that we've seen all kinds of thought we thought didn't exist, I wouldn't be surprised!)

Illuminations
I don't care whether or not Moonflower was released in quad, the masters are probably still available so pay someone to mix it. The other three would not fit. They are not Santana albums, they are albums Carlos played on.

Back