George Michael dies at 53

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
an incredible talent. Saw him twice in concert in 1991 and then later on his last American tour. Both shows were amazing. I am in complete shock. 2016 has been such a brutal year.

Urgh Thought this was a joke :(

WoW 2016 YOU are the SUCK!!:howl

Snood always loved GM even when in WHAM even tho WHAM was sappy poppy stuff, thought he had an awesome underrated voice that was over looked because of the all the PoP Schtick.

When he went solo......he really shined.

Anyone that can pull this off is Awesome

[video=youtube;yPJiuqp1LS4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPJiuqp1LS4[/video]

Urgh Thought this was a joke :(

WoW 2016 YOU are the SUCK!!:howl

Snood always loved GM even when in WHAM even tho WHAM was sappy poppy stuff, thought he had an awesome underrated voice that was over looked because of the all the PoP Schtick.

When he went solo......he really shined.

Anyone that can pull this off is Awesome

[video=youtube;yPJiuqp1LS4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPJiuqp1LS4[/video]

Thanks for that video - I'd not seen that one, but wow! Yeah, he did an awesome job.

Man, this really freaks me out. I swear to God, I'm 46 years old and I don't think I've ever went out of my way to put on any George Michael music in my entire life ever, as it's just not really my thing, until last night. Obviously I've heard his stuff and Wham many times over the years on the radio growing up in the US though, but last night I got a melodic sax part stuck in my head and after about 15 minutes of trying to figure out what it was, it came to me: the sax solo in Careless Whisper, so I went to Youtube and put it on. I thought about just not mentioning this on here, as it sounds like some made up crazy BS to me and maybe slightly inappropriate, but I swear it's like some synchronistic collective unconscious thing or something.

Here's a snapshot from part of my search history from last night with the time and date:

capture.PNG

I've always thought he had a great voice, but I'm generally more of a hard rockin/ fusion jazz kind of guy, and what I would consider adult contemporary pop music is the absolute furthest thing from being 'my thing'. Sad to hear that he passed away, but I'm also really wigged out by the chances that I put on some of his music for the first time in my life just right before he died.

I'm surprised more haven't commented. At least for me, this is pretty shocking. Big time talent, huge on the US charts back in the day. I guess I assumed he was equally important in the UK. I know, it's Christmas, so many probably haven't heard yet.

OK, THAT'S IT: 2016 HAS BEEN DECLARED A DISASTER ZONE!!!!

Could anyone PLEASE stop this???

Oh, man!!!!

I mean...yes, I know all of these artists that have done a lot of marching powder (especially....crack...ugh!!!) have had their systems poisoned...but this has REALLY gotten out of hand...

Gad, I remember playing "Make it big" when I was a DJ in WRPC-FM, and then following his trajectory...my baby got "Older" when it came out and it's a hell of a disc...

And he was only FIFTY THREE ...(I'm 52...but I've not poisoned my system with that other stuff!)....geez...it wasn't funny cause the other day I was watching the first ever "Carpool Karaoke" and it was with him....and two night ago we were watching "Music and Lyrics" which is a GREAT ripoff (and very catchy) , and Hugh Grant doing a "George Michael" and we were giggling like little girls....(BTW, the excuse for me was seeing Drew..I LOOVE Drew!!)

So... the LESSON TO BE LEARNED...ENJOY YOUR LIFE, DO WHAT YOU WANT and BE HAPPY, cause, it's too F*CKING SHORT!!!!!!

R.I.P. George... :(

I'm surprised more haven't commented. At least for me, this is pretty shocking. Big time talent, huge on the US charts back in the day. I guess I assumed he was equally important in the UK. I know, it's Christmas, so many probably haven't heard yet.

I think it is because of the timing of the news release. I just found out about it this morning during the news programs. There will be a lot of comments as time goes on.
Damm! I am bummed. I did not always agree with his politics, but I did agree with all of his music. A couple of my favorite Laserdiscs was the 8" music disc of Wham and the Image Entertainment release of Faith. I put these titles on DVD-Ram and then on DVD-R. They finally made to my server as MKV files that I enjoy today. You remember various music artists by your relations with others when the music was released. You give honors to artists that have passed by the impact they made on your life experiences. I remember when I first played the Wham Laserdisc for my workmate and friend on a "antique" VP1000 Laserdisc player. He was so impressed and thrilled. I made him a VHS copy of the disc and he was so delighted.
A business decision caused all of us to go different paths. That was 30+ years ago. Have not heard from him since. I probably should start using social media to see if I can reestablish contact.
Well that is my tribute. A very large impact on my life.

"Listen Without Prejudice Vol. 1" has to be right up there with the best albums of the last thirty or so years. "Praying for Time" is even more relevant and poignant now.

[video=youtube;W1PuJb-blp8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1PuJb-blp8[/video]

"Listen Without Prejudice Vol. 1" has to be right up there with the best albums of the last thirty or so years. "Praying for Time" is even more relevant and poignant now.

Agreed. That album was, and still is, truly epic. A huge amount of time and effort went into that album and it showed. A friend of mine who was working at Sarm West at the time said he remembered George moving in in October 1988 to start work on it. This friend then went elsewhere but returned in 1990 to find George, still there, mixing it! It still stands up today and in my very humble opinion, was never bettered by him. Older is it's equal, but he just never was as good as he was on LWPv1.

I've said for years now that I just wanted him to do another studio album and give up all this covers and orchestral rehashes, not that they weren't good, but his skill as a songwriter was being tragically neglected.

And at the age he was, which is no age at all (just a handful of years more than I), it makes it even harder to take, when you see the epitaph "1963 - 2016" under his name.

2016 has been an awful, awful year for losing important, life-changing people :(

Yeah, I thought about commenting at all, I just don't know what to say. What a shit year.

Really sorry to hear he passed away. Don't have any of his solo stuff, but I have "Make it Big" and "The Final", and I've always appreciated his solo output :-(

It's a shame that George Michael has passed. Over the years there have been a few Wham! and solo DVD music video compilations. Do any of them feature discrete and/or true surround sound mixes?

It's a shame that George Michael has passed. Over the years there have been a few Wham! and solo DVD music video compilations. Do any of them feature discrete and/or true surround sound mixes?

I think there was a video collection on DVD with 5.1 at one point, but it was fake 5.1. So short answer, sadly, no (to my knowledge).

Back