• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Quadraphonic Quad and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

ENOCH THE RAD Quad tapes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlrocker

701 Club - QQ All-Star
here to trade or purchase. as seen on ebay too.
I'm interested in quadraphonic reels 7 inch reels, 4 channel digital convertible to .wav files, 4 channel cassette tapes recorded on Tascam or Yamaha recorders for example, DAW project files in ACIDPro or similar programs.

I would like some Forum members to review/critique my work too.

2016-12-26 01.30.23.jpg

that's my current inventory of ENOCH THE RAD quadraphonic tapes...

here's three new ones coming out next year -
2016-12-26 18.43.31.jpgETR ACIDQUAD X.jpgMOD QUAD TOP2.jpg

The Mad parody cracks me up.

But a couple of questions if you don't mind....

Do you record to DAW and mix down to four channels, then run off copies on a Q4, and what model of Q4?

What kind of music? Is it songs, or more like Tangerine Dream soundscapes? A rock band, sample based, ambient, world music, noise, synth pop, jazz, or what?

Do you have a sample you could post, maybe a FLAC etc.?

I guess that's three or four questions.

-John

Review? Critique? Sure...And how do you propose we do that? Just curious.:)

I propose it would come up like any other "Listening to..." or "Surround Sound releases In Review..." kind of forum post.:mad:@:

It occurred to me that it would be necessary for you to own a working quadraphonic tape deck.
If you do please message me and I will provide a tape. First come first served.

Last edited:
The Mad parody cracks me up.

But a couple of questions if you don't mind....

Do you record to DAW and mix down to four channels, then run off copies on a Q4, and what model of Q4?

What kind of music? Is it songs, or more like Tangerine Dream soundscapes? A rock band, sample based, ambient, world music, noise, synth pop, jazz, or what?

Do you have a sample you could post, maybe a FLAC etc.?

I guess that's three or four questions.

-John

I record on laptop DAW, then distribute the tracks to 4 busses in the DAW. I render 4 mono .wav files. I don't have a multi-channel sound card but I do have a digital recorder connected to the laptop by USB, that will play 4 channels out simultaneously to the Q4 (assuming you mean 4 channel reel to reel here). I'm using an AKAI GX-280D-SS.

The quad music runs the gamut (no jazz), I can have stereo samples I'll have to post up and link. I do have 7.75gb of recordings available on USB flashdrive or direct download on EBAY. Somebody just got one of my tapes for .99 + postage.

Hello there Enoch The Rad,

Welcome to QQ and Happy New Year!

Is there a way to download your Quad productions in Hi-Res Surround (Flac, Wav, etc.)?

Thanks in advance, Adam :)

Hello there Enoch The Rad,

Welcome to QQ and Happy New Year!

Is there a way to download your Quad productions in Hi-Res Surround (Flac, Wav, etc.)?

Thanks in advance, Adam :)

I hadn't thought about that. So you would be able to work with 4 .wav files? For my own understanding, if you have the .wav files how would you accomplish the playback?

I hadn't thought about that. So you would be able to work with 4 .wav files? For my own understanding, if you have the .wav files how would you accomplish the playback?

yes, MultiCh WAVs are fine (they playback in things like VLC, Kodi, Foobar).. FLACs even better as smaller files and still lossless surround.

personally I prefer Quad music files as 6-ch FLAC with silent/empty Centre & LFE (channels 3 + 4 in output bus; where 1 = FL, 2 = FR, 3 = C, 4 = LFE, 5 = SL, 6 = SR) otherwise my Mac goes 21st century schizoid with 4-ch WAVs and starts plonking one of the rears in the centre channel..!!

I'd probably join the individual wavs in Audiomuxer, then use Foobar for the player.

yes, MultiCh WAVs are fine (they playback in things like VLC, Kodi, Foobar).. FLACs even better as smaller files and still lossless surround.

personally I prefer Quad music files as 6-ch FLAC with silent/empty Centre & LFE (channels 3 + 4 in output bus; where 1 = FL, 2 = FR, 3 = C, 4 = LFE, 5 = SL, 6 = SR) otherwise my Mac goes 21st century schizoid with 4-ch WAVs and starts plonking one of the rears in the centre channel..!!

forgive the dumb question but how do you 6 channels FLAC out of your computer to a suitable amplifier? Are you burning a disc, or is it transported by wire, and what port do you use?

forgive the dumb question but how do you 6 channels FLAC out of your computer to a suitable amplifier? Are you burning a disc, or is it transported by wire, and what port do you use?

not dumb Qn at all., I primarily use HDMI out from the computer so I can make use of room correction with surround music.

I do also sometimes use the MultiCh analog outs of my MOTU FireWire interface which in turn hook up to the MultiCh analog inputs on the receiver but HDMI is easiest, most convenient and enables the aspects of Audyssey setup I do like, speaker size/distance/delay in particular, which I can't do via MultiCh analog.

Does this playback method maintain the discrete 4 speaker experience? When you say "join" I think "stereo"...
Yes, it becomes a Multichannel Wav, that can then be demuxed by a player like Foobar, or, burned to a disc with proper software, etc.

I have a multichannel sound card on the computer, but also a MOTU like FredB. mentions below which is easier for me. This is typically for listening to demos in the shop/studio. If I was going to play it on the big system I'd convert to FLAC and put it on a disc for the OPPO, which will also demux a multichannel stream.

I do have the capability to create different file types like FLAC, quad and 5.1

available now in discrete 4 channel reels:
Quad Zilla - guitar rock
Quad Insanity - variety of rap, rock, and electronica
Heavy Duty - variety soundscape and guitar rock
Addicted - variety experimental soundscape and guitar rock
Acid Quad vol 1-4 - experimental soundscapes w/wo guitar
Sumo Quad vol 1-2 - hard rock
Heaven - garage rock/Americana
Calling All Quads - experimental soundscape
In the Flesh - guitar rock/variety

I do have the capability to create different file types like FLAC, quad and 5.1

available now in discrete 4 channel reels:
Quad Zilla - guitar rock
Quad Insanity - variety of rap, rock, and electronica
Heavy Duty - variety soundscape and guitar rock
Addicted - variety experimental soundscape and guitar rock
Acid Quad vol 1-4 - experimental soundscapes w/wo guitar
Sumo Quad vol 1-2 - hard rock
Heaven - garage rock/Americana
Calling All Quads - experimental soundscape
In the Flesh - guitar rock/variety

A couple of these sound interesting, but I have a couple of questions about the reel tapes that are important to reel to reel users.

Are you using new or used tapes? What brand are you using, or are you using a variety based on the availability of new or used tapes?

A couple of these sound interesting, but I have a couple of questions about the reel tapes that are important to reel to reel users.

Are you using new or used tapes? What brand are you using, or are you using a variety based on the availability of new or used tapes?

All tapes come from used stock purchased on ebay. Right now I'm using 7" non-branded radio show tapes in white boxes. I have various brands available, if you want a specific brand I may have it in stock.

All tapes come from used stock purchased on ebay. Right now I'm using 7" non-branded radio show tapes in white boxes. I have various brands available, if you want a specific brand I may have it in stock.

Thanks for the reply, but if tapes are used there is no way to ensure that the tape brand is the same as the reels they are spooled onto. Some tape formulations do not age well, and they can cause a lot of tape deck problems ... especially if they were stored improperly.

I will pass.

Last edited:
Back