Jim Croce - Multiple Quad Mixes!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
I was playing around with some sound files on my PC with the intention of creating a "new" Jim Croce DTS CD for my car (since I no longer have DVD-A on the road anymore :( ), so I started to look for the best rips I had from 10 or so years ago when I spent a lot of time ripping my Q8's to hard drive for DVD-A conversions.

Because of all the talk in the forum lately about Jim Croce and his M/C mixes, I also recently recorded in the three QS LP's he did (excluding the "Hits" LP) and figured I'd take the best of what I could find to create this disc.

So, what did I find right off the bat?? Holy crap, three different mixes from three different sources. Well, given one source was a QS LP, it's sort of a crap shoot on the encode/decode, but interestingly enough, the QS decode is pretty close to the US Q8. Nowhere near as discrete, but these to pale in comparison to the Canadian Q8 Greatest Hits tape. Some of you may recall (or find) in the forum how I tested all 4 Canadian Q8's a few years ago and found that the three album titles were horrible fake quad, but the GH tape, Photographs and Memories, was real discrete. Yup.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some looks and listens to a section of "You Don't Mess Around with Jim". I have added MP3's of the back channels so you can listen to the differences. Let's start with the best, the Canadian Q8. Here in the backs you have the drums in the right, and the stomping piano in the left - along with the very discrete background singers. These vocalists are very present on this mix, and buried in the two US mixes. However, there is only the delayed lead vocal echo here, no solid Jim vocals. Have a listen:

View attachment Canadian Backs 45 Sec.mp3

CN-Q8-BACKS.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------
Moving on to the US Q8, here we have a fairly discrete lead guitar in the left channel and a rhythm guitar in the right. Jim's lead vocal is present, I would assume the mixer was going for the singer-in-the-middle mix with this one. But notice there are no loud background singers. (They're just barely in the fronts, almost to the point of being missing. Really mixed down, they were)

View attachment US Q8 Backs 45 Sec.mp3

US-Q8-BACKS.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------
Now the Command QS LP "You Don't Mess Around With Jim". This is a straight decode with a Surround Master, no tweaking or futzing. This is more a product of the matrix mixing I'm sure, but on this mix you can hear the piano clearly, although nowhere near as exposed as the Canadian Q8. When you listen, it's more of a merged mix of the Canadian Q8 with the lead vocal fully in the tracks.

View attachment US QSLP Backs 45 Sec.mp3

US-QSLP-BACKS.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------

How about that? Anyone else found any other mixes?? I remember AoQ posted about the CD-4 version of "I Got a Name" a few years ago, so that might be another mix out there.

That's really weird. I have the US Greatest Hits Q8 and it had never been opened prior to my ownership. I was the first to cut the label to open it. The mix present on my tape is identical to your "Canadian" tape.

I often wondered if there were sometimes dedicated Matrix mixes be it for either trying to exploit more discrete information from the mix or to mask such issues. The reason I mention it is I have both Grass Roots Q8's plus the QS LP. Now we all know the differences between the "alternate" and "proper" Q8 cartridges, but the QS LP mix doesn't seem to match either! Now granted I've only ever run the QS LP through my On-board Pioneer Decoder but also a Lafayette decoder but neither would place instruments or create soundfields that matched either Q8.

Back