Chicago ll: The Steven Wilson Remix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wavelength

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Source: http://www.chicagotheband.com/news/news-main.html#Now-More-Than-Ever-The-History-of-Chicago-on-CNN

Chicago ll: The Steven Wilson Remix

Chicago MediaNovember 30, 2016
The Iconic Group’s Timeless Classic Has Been Remastered To Reveal Unprecedented Clarity And Definition – Available On CD From Rhino On January 27
More than 40 years after its debut, Chicago II still sounds like nothing else. Released in 1970, Chicago’s second album brims with confidence and inspiration as it draws on everything from orchestral music to heavy rock. Although it never affected the record’s popularity – it peaked at #4 on the album chart and spawned a trio of Top Ten hits — many fans have longed for a more-nuanced mix. That wish is about to come true with a new stereo version created by British musician and producer Steven Wilson.

CHICAGO II: STEVEN WILSON REMIX will be available January 27 on CD for $14.98. The newly remixed album will also be released as a double-LP set in 2017 for $31.98.

CHICAGO II has been remixed before, but never like this. For the first time, a stereo remix from the 16-track multi-track tapes made it possible for Steven Wilson to bring out elements that were muffled or submerged in the mix. The result is a new stereo version of CHICAGO II that boasts clearness, punch and definition that it didn’t have before.

Wilson explains: “Working with high-resolution 96K/24 bit digitally transferred files, I had every element from the recording sessions isolated, which meant I was able to rebuild the mix from the drums upwards, recreating as closely as I could the equalization, stereo placement, reverbs, other effects, and volume changes of each individual instrument or vocal — but at the same time looking to gain definition and clarity in the overall sound.”

In 1969, Chicago recorded the band’s follow-up to their debut album, Chicago Transit Authority (voted 2014 into the Grammy Hall of Fame). When it arrived in January 1970, CHICAGO II became an instant sensation. Principal composers, James Pankow and Robert Lamm, emerged further as the band’s source of Top Ten hits for the group, including “Make Me Smile” and “Colour My World,” as well as “25 or 6 to 4,” which peaked at #4 and has become one of the band’s signature songs. Terry Kath, Robert Lamm, Lee Loughnane, James Pankow, Walter Parazaider, also Danny Seraphine and Peter Cetera … somehow found time (while touring the world behind the success of “CTA”) to prepare another double LP album.

“So rich was their creative seam at the time that, like their debut, and the album that followed this one, it was a two record set,” says Wilson. “In fact, with unprecedented boldness the run of double albums was only broken by their fourth which was a quadruple (live) set! I consider all of these albums to be classics, but perhaps Chicago II is the pre-eminent masterpiece. It’s got everything: moments of tender beauty to power riffs and scorched-earth jazz-rock, catchy melodies and gorgeous vocal harmonies. When I first heard it as a teenager I was captivated by the mixture of jazz, blues, pop, classical, progressive and heavy rock styles, including both improvisational elements and intricate arrangements, and by songs written and sung by several different members, all with their own unique personality. How could that possibly hang together?! But it does, and brilliantly so.”

The album, which was certified platinum by the RIAA, soon after its release, also highlighted some of the band’s most ambitious work, such as the 13-minute song cycle “Ballet For A Girl In Buchannon,” composed by James Pankow, as well as “Memories Of Love,” a Terry Kath song, arranged for orchestra by Peter Matz. Chicago’s lasting musical impact was recognized in April of 2016, with their induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

For more information about CHICAGO, please contact Jessica Giordano in the Rhino Media Relations Department at [email protected] or 818-238-6403. Available for pre-order at http://smarturl.it/ChicagoIIRemix.
CHICAGO II Track Listing:
1. “Movin’ In”
2. “The Road”
3. “Poem For The People”
4. “In The Country”
5. “Wake Up Sunshine”
6. “Ballet For A Girl In Buchannon”
– “Make Me Smile
– “So Much To Say, So Much To Give”
– “Anxiety’s Moment”
– “West Virginia Fantasies”
– “Colour My World”
– “To Be Free”
– “Now More Than Ever”
7. “Fancy Colours”
8. “25 Or 6 To 4”
9. “Memories of Love”
– “Prelude”
– “A.M. Mourning”
– “P.M. Mourning”
– “Memories Of Love”
10. “It Better End Soon”
– “1st Movement”
– “2nd Movement”
– “3rd Movement”
– “4th Movement”
11. “Where Do We Go From Here”

Thanks for the info ..., just pre-ordered from the Zon..... Usually only do surround or my favorite Quad, but due to SW mixing I'll give it a listen.:smokin

There's already been a lot of discussion on this remix here:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-Wilson-remixing-Chicago-II-into-5-1-Surround

Although honestly this thread has a better title since the old one mentions surround which is not coming to pass for this remix.

The more exciting news on the Chicago front is that CNN are premiering the brand new documentary "Now More Than Ever" at 8pm EST (with repeat at 10pm EST) tomorrow night!

:)

There's already been a lot of discussion on this remix here:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-Wilson-remixing-Chicago-II-into-5-1-Surround

Although honestly this thread has a better title since the old one mentions surround which is not coming to pass for this remix.

The more exciting news on the Chicago front is that CNN are premiering the brand new documentary "Now More Than Ever" at 8pm EST (with repeat at 10pm EST) tomorrow night!

Snood runs to the remote to schedule it :banana:

Thanks RT :cool:

Yup...
MANY OTHER TITLES for SW to remix and spend his precious time doing in MCH!!!!

Especially something that has been remixed in MCH and released in REAL QUAD...

Oh , well,,I guess SW has his reasons!

Oh , well,,I guess SW has his reasons!

Love of the music is certainly one reason, plus I think the chance to work with a band as big as Chicago was just too good for him to pass up, especially if he enjoyed the challenge of actually making "Chicago (II)" sound good for the first time in stereo.
(Not to mention that he must at least get a little bit of an ego boost every time he sees "Steven Wilson remix" on the front of an album he really loves.)

Still a bit strange that no 5.1 is announced. What I understood from past interviews it takes him a week to make a new strereo mix and then one day for the 5.1. Not that much extra work. Perhaps a 5.1 will be released later on.

Still a bit strange that no 5.1 is announced. What I understood from past interviews it takes him a week to make a new strereo mix and then one day for the 5.1. Not that much extra work. Perhaps a 5.1 will be released later on.

In this instance, given that there's already a Quadraphonic and 5.1 mix for "Chicago (II)" (both of which are very well-regarded) I guess that all parties (SW, Chicago, and the label) felt that it was unnecessary to release another surround mix for the album, especially given the added authoring and manufacturing costs that would have added to the project.
(This is the opposite of "Fragile" in that all parties, especially SW, felt that the original 5.1 mix was an inferior mix that they knew they needed to improve upon.)

Am I mistaken, or is not the stereo layer of Chicago II on the DVD-A a remix? The stereo version of 25 or 6 to 4 certainly sounds a lot better on the DVD-A than any other version that I've heard.

Am I mistaken, or is not the stereo layer of Chicago II on the DVD-A a remix? The stereo version of 25 or 6 to 4 certainly sounds a lot better on the DVD-A than any other version that I've heard.

IIRC the Stereo on the DVDA is a downmix...I could be wrong of course...

Maybe SW will mix this in Stereo and go "ahhh, what the hell, I already got the tracks and Stereo mix..I think I'll do a quick MCH mix just for gigs and shittles!!!" ...would you be surprised?...if they are going thru all the motions of releasing it in Stereo...why not?? Tell Neil Wilkes to add the Surround layer...he'll be happy to do it....!!!!

Maybe SW will mix this in Stereo and go "ahhh, what the hell, I already got the tracks and Stereo mix..I think I'll do a quick MCH mix just for gigs and shittles!!!" ...would you be surprised?...if they are going thru all the motions of releasing it in Stereo...why not?? Tell Neil Wilkes to add the Surround layer...he'll be happy to do it....!!!!

Obviously you can't add a surround layer to a CD or vinyl disc (which are the formats for this remix's release.)
And I really doubt that Warner/Rhino would be up for the added expenses of having a DVDA-V or Blu-Ray disc authored and manufactured after they have already released Chicago's entire Quadraphonic library on Blu-Ray.
I would much prefer it if they saved those kind of expenses for another Quadio box set, like the Doobie Brothers! *hint, hint, Rhino* ;)

*ADDENDUM*: I think the only way we will ever get an SW 5.1 mix of "Chicago (II)" is if all parties (artist, label, and SW) agree to release it as a download, but I certainly don't care if it ever happens just because I'm completely fine with the Quadraphonic mix as released on Quadio. :)

Obviously you can't add a surround layer to a CD or vinyl disc (which are the formats for this remix's release.)
And I really doubt that Warner/Rhino would be up for the added expenses of having a DVDA-V or Blu-Ray disc authored and manufactured after they have already released Chicago's entire Quadraphonic library on Blu-Ray.
I would much prefer it if they saved those kind of expenses for another Quadio box set, like the Doobie Brothers! *hint, hint, Rhino* ;)

*ADDENDUM*: I think the only way we will ever get an SW 5.1 mix of "Chicago (II)" is if all parties (artist, label, and SW) agree to release it as a download, but I certainly don't care if it ever happens just because I'm completely fine with the Quadraphonic mix as released on Quadio. :)

Oh, then I guess I didn't read the part that it wasn't going to be HiRez ..oops....
I have to agree that the Quad mixes are just heavenly....but, OTOH, it's always great to have another MCH mix, especially SW's...

Probably depends a lot of how much time it takes and how much SW is being paid for this gig.

The # of hours involved to create a good 5.1 mix might well exceed the S&Gs!

Probably depends a lot of how much time it takes and how much SW is being paid for this gig.

The # of hours involved to create a good 5.1 mix might well exceed the S&Gs!

The money is certainly not the reason he is involved in these projects, cause there's not much money to be made from this!
He was paid to do what he was asked to do, which was create a better stereo mix for "Chicago (II)", and that's exactly what he did.

The money is certainly not the reason he is involved in these projects, cause there's not much money to be made from this!
He was paid to do what he was asked to do, which was create a better stereo mix for "Chicago (II)", and that's exactly what he did.

I think we just said the same thing! (y)

Listening to some new samples of the remix on Spotify, and wow!
This may be the most drastic improvement of any original stereo mix to SW remix I have ever heard!
Want proof?
Just play the first 30 secs of the original stereo mix of "Make Me Smile" followed by SW's remix.
The original stereo mix is a harsh, midrange-driven mix, while SW's remix has clarity and definition which has never been heard before on any stereo mix of this album!
Even without a surround mix included, I definitely plan to buy this remix on CD and support SW's efforts, and I hope a lot of you will do the same!

Nice option!

I would love to hear from anyone who has both the 44/16 CD and the HDtracks 96/24 download.

Do they experience an audible improvement?

(My cd is due for delivery today)

And for those of you who want the remix but are not really into CDs or streaming, here's the promised high-res download option:
http://www.hdtracks.com/catalog/product/view/id/399697

Utilizing the code HD27JAN gets you 15% off as well.

You weren't kidding!

From Spotify, at moderate volume (5:00 AM limitation) the SW remix is much better, specifically the attributes you called out. :D

Can't wait to compare the SW mix CD to Quadio and the original CD.

Listening to some new samples of the remix on Spotify, and wow!
This may be the most drastic improvement of any original stereo mix to SW remix I have ever heard!
Want proof?
Just play the first 30 secs of the original stereo mix of "Make Me Smile" followed by SW's remix.
The original stereo mix is a harsh, midrange-driven mix, while SW's remix has clarity and definition which has never been heard before on any stereo mix of this album!
Even without a surround mix included, I definitely plan to buy this remix on CD and support SW's efforts, and I hope a lot of you will do the same!

Back