Chicago ll: The Steven Wilson Remix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gosh, this does sound really good. I can't really compare to anything else...easily I should say. I do have Quadio, but not ripped. But, parts of this Wilson Mix sound so REAL! The presence is awesome...

foobar2000 1.3.14 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
log date: 2017-01-27 13:04:02

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: Chicago / Chicago II (Steven Wilson Remix)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
DR12 -0.10 dB -13.44 dB 4:06 01-Movin' In (Steven Wilson Remix)
DR12 -0.25 dB -14.93 dB 3:10 02-The Road (Steven Wilson Remix)
DR12 -0.10 dB -14.62 dB 5:35 03-Poem For The People (Steven Wilson Remix)
DR11 -0.10 dB -13.00 dB 6:34 04-In The Country (Steven Wilson Remix)
DR11 -0.10 dB -12.84 dB 2:32 05-Wake Up Sunshine (Steven Wilson Remix)
DR12 -0.10 dB -13.98 dB 3:15 06-Make Me Smile (Steven Wilson Remix)
DR13 -0.10 dB -15.12 dB 1:12 07-So Much To Say, So Much To Give (Steven Wilson Remix)
DR13 -0.10 dB -16.11 dB 1:01 08-Anxiety's Moment (Steven Wilson Remix)
DR13 -0.10 dB -15.17 dB 1:34 09-West Virginia Fantasies (Steven Wilson Remix)
DR13 -0.14 dB -16.18 dB 3:00 10-Colour My World (Steven Wilson Remix)
DR12 -0.10 dB -14.49 dB 1:15 11-To Be Free (Steven Wilson Remix)
DR11 -0.10 dB -13.63 dB 1:26 12-Now More Than Ever (Steven Wilson Remix)
DR11 -0.10 dB -13.80 dB 5:10 13-Fancy Colours (Steven Wilson Remix)
DR10 -0.10 dB -12.16 dB 4:58 14-25 Or 6 To 4 (Steven Wilson Remix)
DR9 -6.88 dB -20.72 dB 1:10 15-Prelude (Steven Wilson Remix)
DR12 -0.10 dB -18.76 dB 2:06 16-A.M. Mourning (Steven Wilson Remix)
DR11 -0.44 dB -17.41 dB 1:58 17-P.M. Mourning (Steven Wilson Remix)
DR13 -3.24 dB -22.57 dB 3:59 18-Memories Of Love (Steven Wilson Remix)
DR12 -0.10 dB -14.07 dB 2:33 19-It Better End Soon (1st Movement) (Steven Wilson Remix)
DR11 -0.10 dB -13.58 dB 3:40 20-It Better End Soon (2nd Movement) (Steven Wilson Remix)
DR11 -0.10 dB -13.31 dB 3:18 21-It Better End Soon (3rd Movement) (Steven Wilson Remix)
DR10 -0.10 dB -12.14 dB 0:56 22-It Better End Soon (4th Movement) (Steven Wilson Remix)
DR11 -0.10 dB -13.65 dB 2:49 23-Where Do We Go From Here (Steven Wilson Remix)

Number of tracks: 23
Official DR value: DR12

Samplerate: 96000 Hz
Channels: 2
Bits per sample: 24
Bitrate: 2922 kbps
Codec: FLAC
================================================================================

Update on the Steven Wilson mix on Chicago II....at least with the 96/24 download. With increased volume, this thing simply soars. It rocks and sounds out of bounds. Wife left for a bit and I returned to this and cranked it.

Whoa....

:yikes

Another comment. I honestly don't know if I've heard any 2 channel recordings sounds this good. If you blind-folded me...I might think I was listening to multi-channel. There are places scattered across the front where sounds are coming from. It's surreal.

Another comment. I honestly don't know if I've heard any 2 channel recordings sounds this good. If you blind-folded me...I might think I was listening to multi-channel. There are places scattered across the front where sounds are coming from. It's surreal.
I was so close to purchasing today from HDTracks, I know it is great, but I have the CD, DVD-A, Quadio, and MOFI releases, that's 4 versions, I just can't seem to want a 5th. Impulse control is what I am working on.

I was so close to purchasing today from HDTracks, I know it is great, but I have the CD, DVD-A, Quadio, and MOFI releases, that's 4 versions, I just can't seem to want a 5th. Impulse control is what I am working on.

Although I'm NOT negating that between modern technology and Steve Wilson's golden ears he has managed to eke a "definitive' STEREO version of Chicago II, the same could probably be accomplished with almost ANY retro or even current classic album. I have the splendid DVD~A and Chicago Quadio surround versions, which at least for me suffice but perhaps if he had included a 'definitive' surround remix, as well, I just might have sprung for it.

Overkill?

Although I'm NOT negating that between modern technology and Steve Wilson's golden ears he has managed to eke a "definitive' STEREO version of Chicago II, the same could probably be accomplished with almost ANY retro or even current classic album. I have the splendid DVD~A and Chicago Quadio surround versions, which at least for me suffice but perhaps if he had included a 'definitive' surround remix, as well, I just might have sprung for it.

Overkill?

I hear you man. I simply had a weak moment and purchased it. And I'm telling you it is killer. Honestly doesn't mean you should rush out and buy this. I mean...as you say...overkill. :mad:@:

Overkill?
I just have the Quadio box set and wanted to hear how SW reworked a new stereo mix. After hearing the results of the TFF SFTBC stereo mix I had to have it. Bad thing is I'm repositioning my surround speaker setup and won't spin this til Monday. (Shelves, running new wire, spreading out my dual subs and bringing the floorstandings in closer to the TV) Room is 15X25 so it's a chore to tweak for acoustics.

I was thinking the same thing... I listened to the 24/96 in my car and it seriously sounds like it's in MCH. I'm totally impressed with the quality of this remix!!

I don't think it's possible for Mr Wilson to put out a crappy mix. He's a genius!

I was thinking the same thing... I listened to the 24/96 in my car and it seriously sounds like it's in MCH. I'm totally impressed with the quality of this remix!!

I don't think it's possible for Mr Wilson to put out a crappy mix. He's a genius!

Is it an attempt at a binaural mix excluding headphones? :)

You need this mix. It is the ultimate stereo mix. I believe the stereo mix on the DVD-A is a fold of the multichannel mix. Unless I am listening to the 4.0 mix - this will be my go to mix.

He's standing on the shoulders of giants with the remakes of the mixes. He has better tools to imitate the original mix, and doesn't have to do it in real time. That's not to say they might not be good, but that doesn't make him a genius. He's very, very safe in his approach: he's more technically competent rather than a genius.

Last edited:
You need this mix. It is the ultimate stereo mix. I believe the stereo mix on the DVD-A is a fold of the multichannel mix. Unless I am listening to the 4.0 mix - this will be my go to mix.

So, does anyone know for sure if the DVDA stereo mix is 1) the original 2) 2.0 remix 2) fold-down of 5.1?

I don't care if it's the tastiest, most supercalifragalisticexpialidocious, creamiest 2-channel remix to ever be derived from what remaining master copies they had. With this, Chicago II has entered the realm of Kind Of Blue, Pet Sounds, Abraxas and all the others that get remastered yet again while other catalog albums get ignored (okay, I know that's obviously not true in Chicago's case; maybe a better analogy would be how many times Amy Pohler has come back to Saturday Night Live after her final season as a regular?).

This parrot is bloody deceased. This is an ex-parrot. Time to stop giving Dorothy shinier and shinier ruby slippers, and maybe go work on all those Crocs the munchkins have on back-order.

Really doesn't matter. They put the material out...we either buy it, or we don't. This mix sounds amazing. It only cost me around $16....certainly didn't stop me from eating. I understand though. New material would be great.

I compared the SW-remix to the Quadio stereo mix, listening to 25 or 6 to 4.

Here's what I heard in my system....YMMV

Summary: everyone wins

• Quadio mix has a muscular and prominent presentation, with relatively strong bass. Bass in the SW mix is thin.
  • SW mix has a wider sound stage, but gives up the more precise imaging of Quadio.
  • Drums are significantly clearer in Quadio than in the SW mix.
  • Quadio horns are louder than SW mix. Horns have equally natural tonality in both mixes.
  • Vocals and guitar in the SW mix are less edgy than Quadio.
Net, I prefer Quadio for the drums and bass. Both are very good given the age of the recording.

I compared the SW-remix to the Quadio stereo mix, listening to 25 or 6 to 4.

Here's what I heard in my system....YMMV

Summary: everyone wins

• Quadio mix has a muscular and prominent presentation, with relatively strong bass. Bass in the SW mix is thin.
  • SW mix has a wider sound stage, but gives up the more precise imaging of Quadio.
  • Drums are significantly clearer in Quadio than in the SW mix.
  • Quadio horns are louder than SW mix. Horns have equally natural tonality in both mixes.
  • Vocals and guitar in the SW mix are less edgy than Quadio.
Net, I prefer Quadio for the drums and bass. Both are very good given the age of the recording.

I also noted that general bass on Wilson mix was thin. I totally agree. I didn't mention that because I know folks think I am a bass nut....and maybe I am. So, I try not to focus on that. But, I will also say that due to the bass being a bit less on Wilson mix, I was able to flat out crank it big time and it really opened up when I did so. Give and take I think.

You may be a bass nut, but if you are then so am I.
:brew
Agreed, the SW Chicago mix is eminently crankable!

The best crank comes when you open the volume throttle on the glory that is Quadio, flip the warp drive switch from meager stereo to its full quadraphonic glory, and bask in pure music. :sun

I also noted that general bass on Wilson mix was thin. I totally agree. I didn't mention that because I know folks think I am a bass nut....and maybe I am. So, I try not to focus on that. But, I will also say that due to the bass being a bit less on Wilson mix, I was able to flat out crank it big time and it really opened up when I did so. Give and take I think.

Besides the quality of the stereo remix itself, it's worth owning the CD of this remix just for the amazing essay written by Steven Wilson.

:)

Back