Chicago ll: The Steven Wilson Remix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonder if the vinyl may be worth the wait and the way to go for this one?

I'm not a vinyl guy (yet...). If I were I'd probably get the CD or download too, just for comparison. You can't have too many versions, can you? :)

I have Quadio, SW Cd mix, and one of the original US CD's. With my lack of self control I'll probably end up with the SW hi-res download too.

Wonder if the vinyl may be worth the wait and the way to go for this one?

Bravo, SW.... clarity and presence as never before while absolutely preserving the integrity of the original sonic signature of this masterpiece.

I can't imagine that there is a significant return attached to what clearly must have been and exceedingly long and meticulous process. I for one stand and applaud the usage of one's talents and station in the industry to so passionately and with such inspiration reintroduce us to such formative and pivotal masterworks on a modern stage.

How refreshing that it is so clearly just about the music. When the motivation is clearly the desire to hear it this way... and then to extend it to the rest of us who share the passion for the piece of work itself.

Bravo!

Besides the quality of the stereo remix itself, it's worth owning the CD of this remix just for the amazing essay written by Steven Wilson.

:)
While my CD is currently in the mail, I did go ahead and download the Hi-Res version from HDTracks - and it certainly is killer! Looking forward to reading Wilson's essay. [emoji2]

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

It here any discernable sound difference between the HD download and the cd?
I would think not. Somebody who has the CD wanna run the DR and compare to the download?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: Chicago / Chicago II (Steven Wilson Remix)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
DR12 -0.10 dB -13.44 dB 4:06 01-Movin' In (Steven Wilson Remix)
DR12 -0.25 dB -14.93 dB 3:10 02-The Road (Steven Wilson Remix)
DR12 -0.10 dB -14.62 dB 5:35 03-Poem For The People (Steven Wilson Remix)
DR11 -0.10 dB -13.00 dB 6:34 04-In The Country (Steven Wilson Remix)
DR11 -0.10 dB -12.84 dB 2:32 05-Wake Up Sunshine (Steven Wilson Remix)
DR12 -0.10 dB -13.98 dB 3:15 06-Make Me Smile (Steven Wilson Remix)
DR13 -0.10 dB -15.12 dB 1:12 07-So Much To Say, So Much To Give (Steven Wilson Remix)
DR13 -0.10 dB -16.11 dB 1:01 08-Anxiety's Moment (Steven Wilson Remix)
DR13 -0.10 dB -15.17 dB 1:34 09-West Virginia Fantasies (Steven Wilson Remix)
DR13 -0.14 dB -16.18 dB 3:00 10-Colour My World (Steven Wilson Remix)
DR12 -0.10 dB -14.49 dB 1:15 11-To Be Free (Steven Wilson Remix)
DR11 -0.10 dB -13.63 dB 1:26 12-Now More Than Ever (Steven Wilson Remix)
DR11 -0.10 dB -13.80 dB 5:10 13-Fancy Colours (Steven Wilson Remix)
DR10 -0.10 dB -12.16 dB 4:58 14-25 Or 6 To 4 (Steven Wilson Remix)
DR9 -6.88 dB -20.72 dB 1:10 15-Prelude (Steven Wilson Remix)
DR12 -0.10 dB -18.76 dB 2:06 16-A.M. Mourning (Steven Wilson Remix)
DR11 -0.44 dB -17.41 dB 1:58 17-P.M. Mourning (Steven Wilson Remix)
DR13 -3.24 dB -22.57 dB 3:59 18-Memories Of Love (Steven Wilson Remix)
DR12 -0.10 dB -14.07 dB 2:33 19-It Better End Soon (1st Movement) [Steven Wilson Remix]
DR11 -0.10 dB -13.58 dB 3:40 20-It Better End Soon (2nd Movement) [Steven Wilson Remix]
DR11 -0.10 dB -13.31 dB 3:18 21-It Better End Soon (3rd Movement) [Steven Wilson Remix]
DR10 -0.10 dB -12.14 dB 0:56 22-It Better End Soon (4th Movement) [Steven Wilson Remix]
DR11 -0.10 dB -13.65 dB 2:49 23-Where Do We Go From Here (Steven Wilson Remix)

Number of tracks: 23
Official DR value: DR12

Samplerate: 96000 Hz
Channels: 2
Bits per sample: 24
Bitrate: 2928 kbps
Codec: FLAC
================================================================================

Apparently the DR levels for the CD and download are exactly the same, according to Mr. Plan9. :)

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If there are in fact four(?) stereo mixes -- original, quadio, dvd-a, and this new SW mix -- shouldn't a proper comparisons be between all of them?

If there are in fact four(?) stereo mixes -- original, quadio, dvd-a, and this new SW mix -- shouldn't a proper comparisons be between all of them?

I could be wrong, but I think the stereo mix on the Quadio Blu-Ray is the original stereo mix, so it would only be a comparison between three stereo mixes: original, DVDA, and SW's remix.

I could be wrong, but I think the stereo mix on the Quadio Blu-Ray is the original stereo mix, so it would only be a comparison between three stereo mixes: original, DVDA, and SW's remix.

I think you're right, the MIX is the same between the Quadio Blu-Ray Stereo and the original stereo CD.

That being said, Quadio stereo and the original CD sound different. To my ears the Quadio stereo is warm and muscular with much better imaging. The original CD sounds "tinny" by comparison. This difference could be a combination of source, mastering, or (less likely) the high-res nature of Quadio.

Quadio stereo is significantly better sounding to my ears than the original CD.

The SW mix/mastering is also much better than the original CD.

YMMV :)

I just received my copy...and yes there are several differences in quality on cd from the original columbia cd to a more brick walled Rhino....

and then one can always play the quad mix lp in stereo ...

Ok, so to me the most noticeable difference was "Make me Smile"...S.Wilsons mix sort of makes all other stereo versions sound like mud
..... after playing his version of this song I can't go back to hear the normal stereo issues.

Now in some other spots the differences are less noticeable...I think there's some stuff on that 16 track that prevents it from turning into a "dark side of the moon" hifi standard no matter what fader you play with...there seems to be a limit on what you can do with the quality of the drum recording throughout this release..

But the one thing I did notice was that Terry Kath's guitar sound is a whole lot better everywhere!!!

Especially on the 25 or 6 to 4 instrumental solo section...The start of that song his guitar sound is similar to the quad mix, in that you can hear the subtle string vibrations in between his chords, that you just can't on the stereo....the new S.W. mix is more open better seperation than the other stereo versions and therefore a keeper....and as far as I'm concerened the most likely version I'll ever play of this release again...although one could still say that the most open stereo sound is still on the lp quad mix of 25 or 6 to 4 played back in stereo...but of course the quad has extra guitar bits of Teryy Kath's not meant to be mixed into the final product ...

Last edited:
Requires account. Can you copy-and-paste for the plebs like me? [emoji6]

Fine… ;)

(From a recent interview with trumpet player Lee Loughnane):

SC: I hope you get to remix the first record too.

LL: Me too! Our engineer, Tim Jessup, he’s got his hat in the ring with Rhino. Hopefully, he will do it rather than the guy from Britain. (The Wilson Remix of II) was in a computer, what they call “in the box.” The equipment that we have will take it as far out of the box as we can possibly get it and still be in a computer, without going into a studio and actually re-recording it. I don’t even know what the technique would be, but you’ve got to take the tracks and do a different format, a different machine. I don’t know the technical aspects of it, but we can make it sound better, that’s for sure.

For a website called QuadraphonicQuadForum, I find this interest in the Stereo remixing of the [entire?] Chicago catalogue somewhat perplexing. For that matter, ALL the rock/pop/jazz albums, etc. could be infinitely remixed to sound better [or different] but what's the point? I own the Chicago II DVD~A, probably have it somewhere on vinyl and own the Rhino Chicago Quadio boxset which I'm thrilled with. Do I feel guilty [or deprived] that I didn't buy the new Wilson STEREO remaster.....Nay!

Instead of remixing the Led Zeppelin catalogue into 5.1 or even QUAD, a new batch of 'artist approved' stereo remasters with bonus cuts appear. Are they better? Well they're still on RBCD (at least on physical disc) and I have bought a few but frankly, why Page and Plant don't authorize Surround remasters with a high res physical disc release is baffling. Are they afraid it's going to destroy the integrity of the originals. Have they even been paying attention to how a great 5.1 remaster can open up and define the inner detailing of their magnum opuses [and sell more discs in the process)?

Over the years, we have double, in some cases quadruple~dipped to add the newest and 'bestest' sounding remasters to our collection. There was so much excitement and enthusiasm on this forum, when, out of the blue, Rhino announced the Chicago Quadio remasters and suddenly the steam was quelled when Steve Wilson's Chicago II stereo remaster was released and oh, it sounded SO much better than anything before it (including the DVD~A/4.0 BD~A). What gives?

So now the group wants to remix CTA in Stereo and like our newly elected US official.....it's gonna be the greatest....the most intense....and you're gonna be 100% satisfied with it.

Well, personally, I have NO interest whatsoever in investing again in yet another Chicago Stereo remaster. I'm DONE! Thank the stars my hobby EQUALLY includes 4K/3D/BD~V because at least we're getting a real bang for the buck as the motion picture industry isn't flogging us (unless we're susceptible) with lower res RBCDs, marbles, scarves and the kitchen sink just to get a freakin' 5.1/4.0 disc (and sometimes it's NOT even higher res).

Last edited:
For a website called QuadraphonicQuadForum, I find this interest in the Stereo remixing of the [entire?] Chicago catalogue somewhat perplexing. For that matter, ALL the rock/pop/jazz albums, etc. could be infinitely remixed to sound better [or different] but what's the point?
Really not on-topic or constructive in the context of this thread.

Back