Chicago ll: The Steven Wilson Remix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really not on-topic or constructive in the context of this thread.

I think if Steve Wilson's name wasn't attached to the project it wouldn't even merit a mention on this website.

And the fact that he will NO longer remix any of Chicago's albums in STEREO (hearsay or what?) will probably gain more momentum as a topic over at the SHF.

I have nothing against mono or stereo but was just curious that with the recent release of 9 Chicago albums, including Chicago II, in freshly minted, highly acclaimed QUAD BD~A editions, that it WAS rather odd this re~release was even contemplated.

I have nothing against mono or stereo but was just curious that with the recent release of 9 Chicago albums, including Chicago II, in freshly minted, highly acclaimed QUAD BD~A editions, that it WAS rather odd this re~release was even contemplated.
Surround is a niche; vintage quad is a sub-niche. Stereo is the mass market, and most of the "audiophile" market, which has always regarded Chicago as a bit of an oddity in the band's early discography in terms of fidelity—deserving of a remix. It finally got one (the deleted DVD-A notwithstanding; that stereo was probably a downmix). Its popularity should come as a surprise to no one, even in the proximity of the Quadio box set and a MoFi SACD. That it was Steven Wilson who got the gig certainly must have helped to increase the release's profile within a number of different sectors of the community, but it would have sold regardless.

A remix of CTA is a stranger proposition to be sure, given that the mix is fairly well regarded as-is when presented with sympathetic mastering, but I don't doubt it would sell with or without Wilson's name attached to the project.

I think 4-earedwonder's point is quite valid. If George Lucas ever gets an opportunity to do another Star Wars film, I know the perfect guy to do the music: Richard Carpenter ("Hey! Guys! The film's been out for four years now...stop 'fixing' it-! Go. Do. Something. Else!")

You know that saying, "he's his own worst enemy"? I pity Mr. Wilson, if he keeps getting approached by artists who control their own back catalog, who are never satisfied with the results of their last two revisions, and want juuuuust one more whack at it before they die. Throw enough money at a guy, sure, he'll do his level best on it... while all those other deserving albums from other artists, sit back in the vault...gathering dust in all four corners of the room....

I think 4-earedwonder's point is quite valid. If George Lucas ever gets an opportunity to do another Star Wars film, I know the perfect guy to do the music: Richard Carpenter ("Hey! Guys! The film's been out for four years now...stop 'fixing' it-! Go. Do. Something. Else!")
I don't think that's even remotely a fair analogy. Lucas actually wants to change the films he's created, in both major and minor ways, well after the fact. Wilson's stated goal when doing a classic album remix is to, as closely as possible, replicate the original mix while improving fidelity. Are there exceptions? Yes, especially earlier in this side-career of his, but Chicago is not one of them. It's not revisionism so much as it is reverent "improvement" (depending on the fidelity of the original mix).

Umm, actually I was making the analogy about the band Chicago itself, not Mr. Wilson. The 2nd paragraph was in reference to Mr. Wilson, but in general about any artist who steps into a second skillset only to see his progress de-railed by people who will pay him plenty to distract him from progressing in his art (on that note, I do notice Mr. Wilson doesn't appear to be slowing down in the self-produced music arena - what's he done, 3 of his own albums in the past two years...?).

I brought the CD remix
If you play it through my Oppo and Yamaha 5.1 amp it sounds pretty amazing on the DTS setting, almost as if it is recorded in 5.1
It is interesting how some stereo CDs do this and others don't
Another CD I often play in DTS mode is Traffic 2nd album.

Last edited:
If there are in fact four(?) stereo mixes -- original, quadio, dvd-a, and this new SW mix -- shouldn't a proper comparisons be between all of them?

Surely not. First you isolate the ones that sound the worst, and label these (if you HAVE to mention them and give them any sort of legitimacy) as, "unworthy of your consideration". Why even put the worst in contention in the first place; even if somebody did legitimate work on these and they still fall below "average"? How are these any more valid than a knockoff?

I wasn't active on the forum when this was released and I just received it....what a great job Steven Wilson!...this certainly demonstrates the value of a well produced CD:)when I heard the vocals on Memories of Love...I was way beyond impressed....if there were more CD's like this one the possibilities would be endless...I do have some vintage cd's that have great dynamic range...and sound very good...but usually they need some very light touches to become shiny diamonds...with a quality cd like this one you can take it in your car...not many people have audio systems in the car that support SACD's or blu ray audio...and think about outdoor activities...like picnics with friends...just take that "boom box" that can play a cd and you are ready to rock...at this cost you don't have to worry about the car player scratching your disc..or some home accident ruining your costly hi rez disc...or if you had friends like mine...lending it to a buddy who might just spill beer on it or leave it out of it's cover...for the $13(what I paid for this cd)disc..no problem...but are you going to lend him your pristine copy of Avalon...or another rare and costly disc?...I wouldn't

Last edited:
Back