Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu Ray Disc Player

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Btw, I read somewhere that they were going to start using MQA on compact discs and maybe other physical disc formats. That’ll be interesting!

I've heard the same. I'll find out more from Ryan, the Meridian VP of sales and will pass on the info. BTW, I amended my post above to include Kal Rubinson's impression of the OPPO 205's 2 HDMI outputs [one for Audio/one for Audio/Video]......seems there's really NO difference in sound quality utilizing the former.

I hadn't thought much about MQA since I heard of it here. I thought it was a solution in search of a problem (another DRM?), now I searched on it and among other things, read the wiki. Somebody in the criticism department really did not like MQA.

While data storage or discs have a cost, we do have the ability now of more data per unit of storage. MQA seems like a step backward.

BTW, I amended my post above to include Kal Rubinson's impression of the OPPO 205's 2 HDMI outputs [one for Audio/one for Audio/Video]......seems there's really NO difference in sound quality utilizing the former.

That sound quality difference should depend on how good the anti-jitter reduction (the way it handles jitter) is on the host too (either/or) via HDMI. The HDMI Analog Only output seems to breathe some clarity into my Marantz AVR (NR-1607) versus using HDMI 1 for audio.

For those that are interested, the latest Public beta firmware release allows support for MQA files on the 205. I’ve had several days to test this feature with 2L sample files and it works quite well. :)

Does anyone know if they are going to be updating the firmware for the 203?

Anybody catch the 205 review in December's The Absolute Sound by Anthony Cordesman? He REALLY pushed it's surround sound abilities (even though he's never mentioned anything before about surround sound) ! He mentioned "I realize that surround music has gone out of fashion in much of the stereo world, but I think this is a bit of a tragedy." Then towards the end of the review, he devotes 8 paragraphs discussing it's surround music capabilities.

FINALLY hooked up my REGION FREE OPPO UHD 205 player to my tertiary surround system [bedroom]. Eventually it will go in my main system when I get everything sorted out.

Initial Impressions: WOW. First of all the build quality is sensational certainly surpassing ALL previous OPPOs. It weighs as much as a mid~sized receiver and that's no idle boast.

Getting used to the Region Free playback mode was a little tricky, at first [it entails turning the unit ON, waiting for the NO Disc moniker and then pressing dimmer, dimmer, dimmer, mute and then the #2 in sequence [for Region B playback] then turning off the unit and then turning it back on WITHIN 20 seconds for the OPPO to recognize Region B playback mode.

Once that was settled, I popped in the Region B BD~V 3D of The Hole [now, OOP] and WOW, again.

I'm utilizing two Shunyata Research 2 meter Venom HDMI cables for the hook~ups.........as I have an older Onkyo receiver [which I will soon upgrade for ATMOS] and one HDMI cable went directly into the ONKYO and the other directly into my 55" LG OLED 3D TV. 3D picture and sonics were absolutely stunning.

The ONLY downside of a Region Free player is that you have to REPEAT the dimmer, dimmer, dimmer, mute, #2 PROCESS every time you insert a Region B [or C, or whatever] disc into the player.

Needless to say, my initial impressions of this fabulous player are A+ and before I even started the process, 2 upgrades were automatically downloaded to the player via the internet.

I paid $1479 DELIVERED [list price on normal player is $1299 + s/h from OPPO] for this unit from the Bombay Company and consider the Region Free playback absolutely ESSENTIAL since a lot of UK discs are being released in 3D as well as brilliant steelbook BD~V 2D/3D editions [from Zavvi in the UK] which are NOT available in the USA.

Once I finally get it hooked up to my Main system, I can elaborate on the SACD/DVD~A playback quality.

I currently have 4 SACD capable players, but only one (a Samsung) can read SACD-R. My two Sonys and a Denon cannot. I hope the Oppo 203 can.

Last edited:
I looked in my Oppo UDP-203 manual and it lists as playable Disc types:

UHD Blu-ray, Blu-ray, Blu-ray 3D, DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, AVCHD, SACD, CD, Kodak Picture CD, CD-R/RW, DVD±R/RW, DVD±R DL, BD-R/RE

and as not playable:

DVD-RAM, HD-DVD.

So it doesn't say it will or it won't play SACD-R! I don't have any SACD-R so I can't try it.

I currently have 3 SACD capable players, but only one (a Samsung) can read SACD-R. My Sony and Denon cannot. I hope the Oppo 203 can.

I don't think it will have that capability...I think for copyright reasons that was eliminated on newer Oppo models...this list is 2 years old and you notice that the newer Oppo models are not included...check it out

I looked in my Oppo UDP-203 manual and it lists as playable Disc types:

UHD Blu-ray, Blu-ray, Blu-ray 3D, DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, AVCHD, SACD, CD, Kodak Picture CD, CD-R/RW, DVD±R/RW, DVD±R DL, BD-R/RE

and as not playable:

DVD-RAM, HD-DVD.

So it doesn't say it will or it won't play SACD-R! I don't have any SACD-R so I can't try it.

I posted the information from the source. Oppo has the best CS of any electronic manufacturer I have ever seen. If you don't see what you need an e mail will be answered immediately. I had them respond on a Holiday, and even post reply to the person I was discussing the issue with.
My own opinion, have owned 3 Oppo machines, you just cannot get any better for the money. All the way around, that qdeo video chip is amazing. As is the audio section and ability's.

I don't think it will have that capability...I think for copyright reasons that was eliminated on newer Oppo models...this list is 2 years old and you notice that the newer Oppo models are not included...check it out
Since that list was last revised two years ago, it wouldn't include players that didn't exist yet. Oppo also doesn't advertise that they will play through watermarks, but they will.

Since that list was last revised two years ago, it wouldn't include players that didn't exist yet. Oppo also doesn't advertise that they will play through watermarks, but they will.

The 100 series did exist at the time that list was compiled...I bought my 1035 in 2014...and it's exclusion is noteworthy because that was the same time other features from Oppo's players were discontinued....not Oppo's choice..it was mandated...

In another thread, I mentioned that I cannot get my Oppo 205 to recognize photos tagged to WAV or DSF files when played back via USB. Pupster replied that as long as the file is labeled "folder.jpg" the machine will recognize it and display the photo. Does this mean that the file must say exactly "folder.jpg"? Or can it be something like "doors.jpg" or "grassroots.jpg", etc? I've tried the latter convention and it hasn't worked for me. Any advice? Thank you.

When I play my wav and dsf files on the Oppo 205 off a USB drive; as long as I name the album art “folder.jpg” it shows up. I’m pretty sure it downloads photos for CD wav files, but only certain albums. The ripped dsf from SACD never get downloaded images.

Back