Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu Ray Disc Player

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. I am expecting one by the end of the week.

Looking forward to a critically analytical performance and capabilities review from the knowledgeable folks here on this forum!

So, I hope my question is not entirely unrelated to this thread,,,

I am a beginner when it comes to understanding and/or navigating most current digital formats.

I have a few reasonably decent vintage CD players, and an iPhone - that's it.
The rest is analog, both four channel & stereo tape of several sizes, speeds and types, and stereo vinyl.

Looking for a big upgrade in playing back various higher quality physical discs, SACD, Blu-Ray, DVD-audio, etc., but I really want to get both stereo and 4.0 quad high resolution material to play back.

On the back of the UDP-205 I see that the outputs for the audio section are stereo, the interconnect points provided are limited to just two RCAs & two balanced XLRs.

So here's my question:

I understand that the unit's DACs are truly exceptional for music, but does that mean we can ONLY get that higher quality from TWO CH disc sources???

If I have any hi-res multichannel discs to play back, will the superb high quality circuitry in the OPPO UDP-205 be bypassed?

Fwiw, I don't have a TV, and may not be getting one, it's primarily music (audio) that interests me.

Looking forward to a critically analytical performance and capabilities review from the knowledgeable folks here on this forum!

So, I hope my question is not entirely unrelated to this thread,,,

I am a beginner when it comes to understanding and/or navigating most current digital formats.

I have a few reasonably decent vintage CD players, and an iPhone - that's it.
The rest is analog, both four channel & stereo tape of several sizes, speeds and types, and stereo vinyl.

Looking for a big upgrade in playing back various higher quality physical discs, SACD, Blu-Ray, DVD-audio, etc., but I really want to get both stereo and 4.0 quad high resolution material to play back.

On the back of the UDP-205 I see that the outputs for the audio section are stereo, the interconnect points provided are limited to just two RCAs & two balanced XLRs.

So here's my question:

I understand that the unit's DACs are truly exceptional for music, but does that mean we can ONLY get that higher quality from TWO CH disc sources???

If I have any hi-res multichannel discs to play back, will the superb high quality circuitry in the OPPO UDP-205 be bypassed?

Fwiw, I don't have a TV, and may not be getting one, it's primarily music (audio) that interests me.

The back of the BDP-205 has 7.1 channel outputs, just like the earlier BDP-105.
So it will be very able to play 2.0, 4.0, 5.1 and 7.1 discs (SACD, BluRay, DVD Video, DVD Audio).

When it comes to music files and downloads, the Oppo 205 will handle FLAC and DSD64 files in Stereo and Multichannel.
It's a fine entry point into the world of disc and file based surround sound.

Back Panel - Oppo 205.jpg

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-205/

A lot of the concern about the lack of multichannel DAC support is a little confusing to me. Oppo has basically said that the enhancements of the various xx5 models are mostly relevant to 2-channel analog output, and that the high-end DAC is only a 2-channel one, with the multichannel analog output being high-grade but not at that level. I agree that multichannel FLAC/DSD output is always a nice feature, but Oppo seems to be saying that having that level of quality for 5/7.1 output would be cost prohibitive.

Given that plenty of AVRs can play multichannel FLAC and Sony's entire line of blu-ray players (even the really cheap ones) can play multichannel FLAC/DSD via HDMI, which can be sliced and diced by your choice of audiophile hardware, the whole thing seems like a tempest in a teapot.

A lot of the concern about the lack of multichannel DAC support is a little confusing to me. Oppo has basically said that the enhancements of the various xx5 models are mostly relevant to 2-channel analog output, and that the high-end DAC is only a 2-channel one, with the multichannel analog output being high-grade but not at that level. I agree that multichannel FLAC/DSD output is always a nice feature, but Oppo seems to be saying that having that level of quality for 5/7.1 output would be cost prohibitive.

It's nice to have 5.1 and 7.1 Surround Sound FLAC and DSD 64 playback in a disc player like the Oppo.

If you're looking for a "high grade" Surround Sound converter, then there are other products available like the exaSound e38, the Merging Technologies NADAC MC-8 & NADAC Player 8 and others that can deliver that.
For higher prices as you note.

looking forward to that! Excellent!:banana:

Me too, but nothing will likely be published until the Sept-Oct time frame.

Re: Oppo 205 DACs\MCH Capability.

Lots of info is readily available by reading the Oppo website, downloading the manual or visiting AVS Forum.
The 205 has 2 ESS-9038Pro DACs used for 2-channel & MCH playback.
The difference for 2-channel is the analog output section.
Since all of the outputs are concurrently active you can use the dedicated 2-channel outs in concert with the 7.1 outs.
If you use the XLR connections & the MCH RCAs, the output gain is different so you'll need some kind of RC software to adjust it.

Given that plenty of AVRs can play multichannel FLAC and Sony's entire line of blu-ray players (even the really cheap ones) can play multichannel FLAC/DSD via HDMI, which can be sliced and diced by your choice of audiophile hardware, the whole thing seems like a tempest in a teapot.

Oppo outputs in analog are simple transfers audio ,the device you feed it with has the duty of doing that DAC work. The dacs in these machines are employed only through HDMI.

Oppo outputs in analog are simple transfers audio ,the device you feed it with has the duty of doing that DAC work.
Nope. There are no analog inputs on the Oppo players. Therefore, the analog outputs must utilize the Oppo DACs.

The dacs in these machines are employed only through HDMI.
Nope. If the output is via HDMI, it is digital and, therefore, the Oppo DACs are not in use.

If you're looking for a "high grade" Surround Sound converter, then there are other products available like the exaSound e38, the Merging Technologies NADAC MC-8 & NADAC Player 8 and others that can deliver that.
For higher prices as you note.

Would it be practical to use the Oppo as a ubiquitous disc player / media handler and (for example) the exaSound e38 DAC for multi-channel digital to analogue conversion?

The NADAC appears to be aimed at networked systems in which I have absolutely zero interest.

Would it be practical to use the Oppo as a ubiquitous disc player / media handler and (for example) the exaSound e38 DAC for multi-channel digital to analogue conversion?

Yes.
I'm sure there are a number of people who use an Oppo disc player for Home Theater and Optical Discs and the exaSound e38 to take their optical disc (ripped) and music downloads playback to the next level.

The NADAC appears to be aimed at networked systems in which I have absolutely zero interest.

The NADAC uses the same Digital to Analog Conversion design/circuit that the professional Horus and HAPI converters use.
That explains why you see the NADAC alongside the Horus and HAPI in many professional studios and listening rooms. In addition to high end audio systems.

Audio over IP (Ethernet) also provides other benefits including the ability to use long cable runs between components and rooms.
Merging's upcoming Z-Man board, which brings the Ravenna Ethernet AoP protocol to other audio makes, is likely to result in many more Ethernet audio products in the years ahead.

Not sure what you are asking but you cannot feed MCH output (HDMI) from the Oppo to the exaSound, of course. Stereo, via S/PDIF, yes.

Actually, I like feeding the Oppo from my server via Ethernet and using it as a DAC. Not quite as good as the e38 but it is less than half the price.

The exasound e38 is an excellent piece of hardware. Since I have it in place I havent used a dicsplayer at all. The oppo 105 has been removed from my system.

Not sure what you are asking but you cannot feed MCH output (HDMI) from the Oppo to the exaSound, of course. Stereo, via S/PDIF, yes.

Actually, I like feeding the Oppo from my server via Ethernet and using it as a DAC. Not quite as good as the e38 but it is less than half the price.

Your reply and Brian's are both helpful, but...

I spent 95% of my working life implementing computer systems and I really would like to keep them out of my music at home. The idea of a client-server environment in the music room makes me wince!

I was hoping that the Oppo could be used just as a disc transport / media handler with full multi-channel digital output capability that can be fed into such as the e38.

The e38's role would be sort of parallel with the role of the phono stage that goes between the record player and the preamplifier - a Parasound P7, which is 100% analogue and actually has 2 sets of multi-channel inputs.

Would the Oppo BDT-101ci be the beast that I am seeking?

The exasound e38 is an excellent piece of hardware. Since I have it in place I havent used a dicsplayer at all.
The oppo 105 has been removed from my system.

The Oppo 105 can still be useful to transfer DSD audio from SACDs to DSF music files to playback on your exaSound e38 Multichannel DAC.
That's what I'm finding these days. So it still has a place in my system. Along with playing movies in the red envelopes from Netflix.

Best sound quality results are when you play the DSD music files on the Surround Sound DAC vs. the Oppo 105.
Looks like you have come to the same conclusion! :)

I was hoping that the Oppo could be used just as a disc transport / media handler with full multi-channel digital output capability that can be fed into such as the e38.

The e38's role would be sort of parallel with the role of the phono stage that goes between the record player and the preamplifier - a Parasound P7, which is 100% analogue and actually has 2 sets of multi-channel inputs.
You cannot send multichannel output from the Oppo to the e38 but you can connect the 7.1 analog output from each to them to inputs on the P7. That means you are not using the digital output of the Oppo.

I guess I had entered some publicity stunt by Oppo....I really don't remember. Anyway, I received an email from them today...

lmao

Dear Gene,
Congratulations! You are one of the lucky winners in the OPPO Digital Dolby Vision Products Giveaway Contest! You'll be receiving a copy of Transformers: The Last Knight movie in 4K Ultra-HD with Dolby Vision. The disc will be shipped via USPS first class mail to the address that you provided when you registered for the contest. We apologize that we are not able to change the shipping address.
Once again, Congratulations! Should you be interested in a player that can bring the most out of this movie and many others in your collection, be sure to check out the OPPO UDP-203 and UDP-205 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc players.
Sincerely,
- The OPPO Digital Team

I guess I had entered some publicity stunt by Oppo....I really don't remember. Anyway, I received an email from them today...

lmao

Dear Gene,
Congratulations! You are one of the lucky winners in the OPPO Digital Dolby Vision Products Giveaway Contest! You'll be receiving a copy of Transformers: The Last Knight movie in 4K Ultra-HD with Dolby Vision. The disc will be shipped via USPS first class mail to the address that you provided when you registered for the contest. We apologize that we are not able to change the shipping address.
Once again, Congratulations! Should you be interested in a player that can bring the most out of this movie and many others in your collection, be sure to check out the OPPO UDP-203 and UDP-205 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc players.
Sincerely,
- The OPPO Digital Team

Well, the next issue of STEREOPHILE should contain Kal Rubinson's review of the OPPO 205 Ultra HD 4K player [which I'm anxiously awaiting] so if you have a 'tingle' to purchase one, read Kal's [always] thorough review.

Congratulations! BTW, that Transformer film got SHITTY reviews but hey, it's FREE!

But don't feel badly....I just 'splurged' on the PURGE Trilogy in 4K [with 3 BD~As] for a 'whopping' $20 [delivered, used: MINT condition] and they didn't fare much better in the review department.......but hey, for $3+ per disc [3 4K/3 2K discs]....who's complaining? I've paid way more than that for a SINGLE shitty SACD!

For those that are interested, the latest Public beta firmware release allows support for MQA files on the 205. I’ve had several days to test this feature with 2L sample files and it works quite well. :)

For those that are interested, the latest Public beta firmware release allows support for MQA files on the 205. I’ve had several days to test this feature with 2L sample files and it works quite well. :)

Thanks for the heads up. I just took possession of the 205 [Region Free] the other day but ran into a snafu when I realized the two HDMI outputs are not compatible with my present set up* May insert it into my bedroom system [with the LG OLED 3D TV] until I get a new switcher with two HDMI outputs for my Meridian system.

BTW, what's your impression of MQA? I talked to Meridian's VP of sales the other day and he said that ALL three major record companies signed on and will be utilizing MQA for downloads.

As I previously mentioned, I heard it in prototype at the now defunct SoHo Meridian showroom and was NOT impressed but it seems to be gaining steam as they've worked out the 'bugs.'

*One HDMI output is for AUDIO only and precludes me from utilizing it with my Samsung Monitor to enable me to navigate the menus without turning on my Meridian PROJECTOR.

BTW, in Kal Rubinson's review of the 205, he stated that those utilizing the HDMI audio output for AUDIO only is negligible compared to the dual AUDIO/VIDEO HDMI output. I wish OPPO had allowed both HDMI outputs to carry BOTH Audio/Video similar to the 105.

I would need to have more tracks to listen to and maybe compare? The 2L samples that I was testing were all classical and I’m not into it that much. I would need some mainstream popular tracks. Hopefully, not heavily compressed. From what I’ve been reading, I’m not totally sold on MQA but I will keep an open mind. :)

Back